INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with iPod Classic  (Read 5704 times)

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Problem with iPod Classic
« on: May 23, 2013, 06:48:44 am »

Been using my 160Gb classic with MC for a couple of years.  Today MC hangs when I connect the iPod.  Total lock up.  A same-gen 80Gb iPod I have works just fine.

If I use explorer to right click Media Center->Play it will play tracks off the iPod so it can see them.  Windows can navigate the drive also, so the iPod seems to be functioning ok.

But once MC comes to the end of the playing track this way it does not advance to the next track - the lock up is complete.

The only way to get control back is to kill the process and make sure the iPod is not connected when I restart MC otherwise MC will lock again.

Nothing has changed.  Yesterday I synced this iPod with MC ok, today it's no go.  Have rebooted both the PC and the iPod.  Still no go. 

Any suggestions?

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
Re: Problem with iPod Classic
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 09:47:43 am »

Well after much farting about it's working again.  I had an old install of MC on another machine that was happy to talk to the iPod so I got it to reinitialise the device and then my main MC install was happy to talk to it once more.  Wah?!

Are there any registry entries or files that might have been corrupted that could be wiped to force a reinitialise of an iPod?  If I didn't have it installed on a "clean" PC I'd still be stuck...

Badgerbob

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 02:30:46 pm »

Same problem here when connecting my 160 GB IPod, as MC18 would hang shortly after connecting. But my old 120GB would connect perfectly. Also had to go back to MC17 to reinitialize the 160GB IPod, which now seems to work in MC18. Much time was wasted in trying to figure out what went wrong as older versions of MC18 worked well with the 160GB IPod.

Hopefully I won't lose connectivity in the future, but as a precaution, I'll be keeping MC17 around.

MerlinWerks

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 09:10:44 pm »

Similar issues here. Got a message about my Classic having been written to by a newer version of iTunes. Upgraded from 18.158 to one of the more recent builds and MC hangs after the ipod is connected and I have to kill the process to recover. Haven't had much time for troubleshooting, but will have to try to initialize it with an older version as mentioned and see if that works.

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 12:25:02 am »

Similar problem with ipod nano 3rd generation... (http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=80870.msg550491#msg550491)
Went back to 18.0.185 - didn't help
Works fine with MC17

cleeds

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 08:12:41 am »

I've also had problems with iPod Classic 160 GB  and the recent MC 18 update. such as MC freezes and locks up, and iPod won't sync. Also, MC 18 sometimes won't close, although I don't know if that's related to the iPod issue or is an independent problem.

The JRiver team isn't committed to maintaining iPod compatibility, so the best remedy may be to revert to the previous build of MC 18. J River has acknowledged other problems with the MC 18 update:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=80951.0

... and has provided a link to the previous MC 18 build:
http://files.jriver.com/mediacenter/channels/v18/stable/MediaCenter180175.exe

cleeds

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 09:38:25 am »

iPod Classic is still not working with the latest MC18 build - 18.0.191. It still runs fine under v. 18.0.175.

The JRiver team was never committed to maintaining iPod compatibility, so perhaps this is the end of the line for this feature.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 09:54:25 am »

Apple took the fun out of it.

contium

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 12:14:33 am »

Just synced my 160GB Classic with .191 and had no problems.

contium

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2013, 10:03:34 pm »

Add my girlfriends 160GB Classic V1 and a 60GB Photo both syncing fine.

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 01:48:51 am »

The problem is not that it won't sync, but that it gets into a condition where it won't and the current builds of MC will not recognise it and yet older versions do...  Which suggests it's not an apple issue but an MC one...  I'll be holding on to my old build just in case I need to reset my iPod in the future.

MerlinWerks

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 08:47:50 am »

Yep, I installed 17.0.189 on a spare machine and could then initialize my 160gb Classic. Moved to my main machine with 18.0.193 installed, had to first intialize with that version and the ipod is now syncing as I write. Previously, plugging either of my 160gb Classics in to any version of MC18 would cause MC to hang requiring it's process to be killed in Task Manager to recover.

shAf

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 08:32:04 am »

Yep, I installed 17.0.189 on a spare machine and could then initialize my 160gb Classic. Moved to my main machine with 18.0.193 installed, had to first intialize with that version and the ipod is now syncing as I write. Previously, plugging either of my 160gb Classics in to any version of MC18 would cause MC to hang requiring it's process to be killed in Task Manager to recover.
See the release notes for MC18 build 195 ...
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

MerlinWerks

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2013, 09:07:31 am »

.195 seems to have resolved my issue  ;D

contium

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 11:29:57 am »

Crap, now mine is locking up when syncing with .206  >:(

contium

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2013, 08:20:07 pm »

Went back to .201 and both of my 160GB Classics synced fine. Installed .206 again and the PC locks up when starting to sync. Back to .201 for the time being.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2013, 05:16:17 pm »

Can't seem to duplicate this.
What are the conditions?
How much are you syncing?
Transcoding?
Audio, images, video or a combination?

contium

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2013, 04:57:46 pm »

Seems OK now. MC18 was randomly crashing on me all the time. Disabled the google play music manager and haven't had a problem since. Weird.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2013, 05:18:55 pm »

Seems OK now. MC18 was randomly crashing on me all the time. Disabled the google play music manager and haven't had a problem since.
On the PC?  Any details would be appreciated?  Did you uninstall the music manager?

contium

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2013, 11:55:09 am »

No, I just disable it from starting on windows startup. I was getting random lockups when syncing to our iPods and even to virtual device. Sometimes when tagging as well. Weird thing is the music was being synced or tagged wasn't in google's music manager library. But MC18 has been 100% stable since disabling it. No big deal as I don't really use google play for media I own. There is gizmo for that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up