INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can only play some DVD's  (Read 1902 times)

Yameyo

• Recent member
Can only play some DVD's
« on: May 24, 2013, 04:19:15 pm »

Hi,

Thanks in advance for reading.  I'm having an unusual problem with JRiver.  I watched half of Finding Nemo on DVD, and then turned off the PC to go out.  When I next came to play a DVD in JRiver, it would begin to analyse the disc, but would then hang before playing the DVD.  I have uninstalled/reinstalled the drivers for the DVD drive, uninstalled/reinstalled JRiver several times, restarted the PC multiple times.  Windows media centre will play other DVDs as normal.  If I insert the Finding Nemo DVD into the drive, JRiver will autoplay Finding Nemo with no hesitation.

I feel like I'm cracking up, and my PC really wants to watch Finding Nemo and nothing else.  Any ideas on how to resolve this issue would be very welcome.

Thank you,

Yameyo  

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: JRiver will only play Finding Nemo and no other DVD
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 06:12:38 pm »

Make sure you have the latest build.  It's 18.0.189.  Then power down and back up.

Yameyo

• Recent member
Re: JRiver will only play Finding Nemo and no other DVD
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 04:08:11 pm »

Boy, do I feel stupid.  Thanks.  Restarting wouldn't work, but just turning the PC off and leaving it off for ten minutes did.  Thanks for the help.

JimH

• Administrator
Re: Can only play Finding Nemo and no other DVD [Solved]
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 04:31:05 pm »

Thanks for reporting the solution.

Yameyo

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 07:57:53 am »

Oops - turns out the problem was not fixed.  JRiver still refuses to play DVDs which it had no problem with before the recent update.  I've done a clean reinstall of Win8 and changed the DVD drive to no avail. 

JRiver does start to analyse the disk, but either analyses indefinitely or, upon finishing analysing, then freezes, and I have to eject the disk to render Win8 usable again.  DVDs will play fine in Windows Media Centre.

Thank you for any further help anybody might be able to offer.  I'm almost certain at this point that the culprit is the latest JRiver update.

Yameyo

CountryBumkin

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 09:06:38 am »

You should create a log for JRiver folks to look at. First go to Help>Logging then "reset log", then try to play your DVD. Go back to Help>Logging and "Report Problem", that will put the log on your desktop. The log may show what is going on - where the problem is. Then you attach the log to your post.

PS. Have you been to "Tools>Options>File Types" and made sure the type of movie (format; DVD Video) is selected? Maybe the update removed/changed the file type association. The other recent change is in the Tools>Options>Audio Output mode. See if you have "WASAPI" selected. That's the most common.

Yameyo

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 11:36:14 am »

Hi.  Thanks for the input so far, folks.  I've attached the log file of the DVD beginning to analyse, after which it just continues (apparently) indefinitely, although I stopped it short this time in order to un-freeze the computer and post the log.  I've tried using Direct Sound rather than WASAPI.  All file associations are as they should be.

Thanks,

Yameyo

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 04:38:39 pm »

[I accidentally removed this post from Countybumpkin when I was trying to correct a typo.  Here it is.]

Your log file did not include an "error" log only the system log. That may be because there was no actual error - maybe just a setting is wrong.
I suggest trying WASAPI. It can't hurt - post back if it did anything.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
Re: Can only play some DVD's
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 05:55:54 am »

I seem to be having this problem with Cars (Perhaps coincidentally, another pixar DVD).,Can watch Toy Story and any other DVD ok, and windows media player can play Cars Ok, but it crashes MC. I'll get a log to you guys.

Edit: seems to happen on the newer pixar DVDs. Toy Story 3 won't analyse either.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 07:59:21 am »

Matt,

I've emailed a log to you.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 10:40:12 am »

Thanks for the log.

As a test, will WMP play the DVD?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 06:10:21 pm »

Yes, with some coaxing... I've just tested and it's a bit hit and miss, so it may even be a windows thing but yes, I can get both of them to play in WMP.
Pages: [1]   Go Up