INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem playing FLAC files  (Read 2746 times)

Bob H

• Recent member
Problem playing FLAC files
« on: May 25, 2013, 07:52:31 pm »

I downloaded the latest version this morning (191) and decided to buy my first ever FLAC files from HD Tracks.  The AIFF files that I have been playing have been playing great the for the last version or two so I wanted to take a leap of faith.  $70 later I have three albums that I can not play with my current settings. They are sputtering, hesitating, and skipping.   Could someone give me the recommended settings to play theses files?  Two of them are 176kHz and one is 96kHz. I have a MacBook Pro streaming to a PS Audio MKII DAC via Ethernet connection. :(  Thanks for any help.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Problem playing FLAC files
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 08:13:31 pm »

They are bigger files, so it may be a bandwidth problem.  You could try a wired connection to see if it makes a difference.

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 10:26:28 pm »

So you're playing to the PS Audio MKII as a DLNA renderer?  I'm not familiar with that DAC, but in Options / Media Network Add or configure DLNA Servers, under Audio / Mode, you could set the mode to "Specified output format" and for "Format" try PCM 24 bit or PCM L24 No Header.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Bob H

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 08:49:12 am »

My setup is wired.  MacBook Pro (10.8.3, 8 GB memory, 2.3 GHz i7 processor) to gigabyte switch via Cat 6, then Cat 6 to PS Audio MKII bridge input.

Bob H

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 09:03:00 am »

My settings were Audiophile 24-bit DAC, Mode was specified, and PCM 24 was selected.  I will try the PCM L24 No Header and see if that helps.

Bob H

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 11:00:18 am »

I changed to PCM L24 No Header and could not get anything to play, so I changed it back to PCM 24.  I then tried one of the FLAC albums (96kHz) and it played fine.  Several hours later I tried another one (176kHz) and it would not cooperate, still hesitating, sputtering, repeating itself.  It was also dropping out and resuming 10-15 seconds later.  I went back to the 96kHz album and it would not play correctly at that point either.  I have the following settings:

Audio:  Output Format:  192,000 for all input types
            Settings:  Play files from memory instead of disk.  Tried checking and unchecking this one and it makes no difference.
Encoding:  Encoder:  Uncompressed wav for file conversion.  Tried FLAC encoder also but it did not make any difference.
Media Network:  DLNA enabled and now back to PCM 24.  Audiophile 24-bit DAC selected.

Should these settings work?  What am I missing?  Any help from anyone with the settings would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Pages: [1]   Go Up