INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bad files are good on a different user profile!  (Read 1225 times)

kerfuffle

Bad files are good on a different user profile!
« on: May 28, 2013, 05:27:47 pm »

Hope someone can help - I am just having a 'play' with the evaluation install and I am running Windows 8 with two user profiles. I have a few FLAC files in public folders and, on user 1 they have been successfully imported into the library and work well. For user 2 most of the files have been imported but some have been marked bad. I have switched profiles and they are still in the original library and play fine!

I have found a possible solution by 'googling' the problem by adding a smartlist. This does identify the bad files but will not recognise them as good and does not add them to the library when I try to import them again. Throughout this, they continue to be recognised as good in the other user profile and continue to play! The 'wife acceptance factor' requires the continued use of two profiles... ... Help!

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Bad files are good on a different user profile!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 05:46:56 pm »

Do you have permission to access said files?
I suspect MC will probably mark them as bad if it detects that it can't access them.

Try playing them direct from Explorer as a starting point, and see what results that gives :)

-Leezer-

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 05:59:43 pm »

Do you have permission to access said files?

This is almost certainly a permissions issue of some kind.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 07:06:49 pm »

Is one of the user names longer than the other and making the file names too long for MC to handle?

kerfuffle

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 04:28:52 am »

Thanks for the replies.

I realise I did not give enough info about the permissions!: both profiles have administrator access in Windows 8, the FLAC files are in individual folders - a folder for each album - the folders are all in another folder which is in the Windows 8 Users|Public|Public Music folders. There are 8 folders and 6 of them have imported OK into profile2 (they are all imported OK in profile1 and play OK in JRiver). The files in the 6 folders play OK in profile2, it is only the other 2 folders that are marked bad. The files that have been marked as bad play OK in VLC Media Player, Sound Monkey and Foobar2000. The total length of the pathnames are about the same as other tracks that do play. Windows 8 is 64bit.

Any thoughts?

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 09:21:36 pm »

Incorrect labeling of files as "bad" was fixed in a recent version.

I asked - but did not receive a reply - if there was a way to "clear" the "previously determined to be bad" list (this is not the same as the Deleted list, btw).

So, a new profile "clears" the list.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 09:33:10 am »

There is.  Works much the same way as the deleted items list.

Look for a thread by me with "bad items database" or something like that in it (sorry, on my phone and too hard to look up myself right now).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up