INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Win8, MC18 & iPod Classic do not play well together  (Read 10761 times)

shAf

• Citizen of the Universe
Win8, MC18 & iPod Classic do not play well together
« on: June 01, 2013, 09:55:43 am »

New computer, new OS and iPod Classic ... and I'm having a problem with these 3 playing nicely together, and need some advice for troubleshooting ...

(1) If I plug my iPod Classic into my computer while MC18(193) is running, MC will go into a "not responding" state.

(2) If I try to run MC after my iPod has been plugged in and ejected, then MC will report the attached error.

In both cases, I have to kill the 'Media Center 18 (32bit)',  process or application ... i.e., sometimes it shows an application (1), and sometime it'll show as a process (2)

I'd really like to use MC18 for sync'ing this iPod ... please advise ...

Dell XP51 computer
Windows 8 Pro
iPod Classic (gen 6.5)

Let me know if I can provide any additional info ...

TIA  :)
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

shAf

Re: Win8, MC18 & iPod Classic do not play well together
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 07:16:51 am »

[...]
Let me know if I can provide any additional info ...

I have a feeling this will be a tough nut to crack, and is probably dependent on conflicting hardware that JRiver has no responsibility for.  Still, it is a brand new computer, so I haven't had a chance to install anything uncommon ... leastwise with a Windows 8 computer.  This query is more about getting some ideas from my peers better at troubleshooting hardware problems than I am   :P

EDIT:  I should also mention that I used the Device Manager to check all drivers associated with USB and the iPod while it was plugged in.  Microsoft reported all drivers were up to date.

BTW ... I asked and paid or Windows 7 Pro at the time of purchase.  However, Microsoft has apparently nix'd any possibility of purchasing new computers with Win7 installed, as well as finding anything other than black-market Win7 installations that would void my warranty.  OTOH, Win8 doesn't seem too bad ... if I can just get past 3rd-party software-hardware expectations and requirements   :)

TIA ...

Vocalpoint

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 12:32:47 pm »

I have a feeling this will be a tough nut to crack, and is probably dependent on conflicting hardware that JRiver has no responsibility for.

This is probably more along the lines of the cause of the issue. Depending on your iPod and firmware on it - there is no guarantee whatsoever that it will sync with MC.

Apple continues to be the problem here and it's been long documented that JRiver won't be bothering to try and "assist" with Apple in this regard.

If your iPod does sync with MC - considering yourself lucky :) My iPod Classic works great in MC 18 with Windows 7...but I am certain it's not Gen 6.5...

VP

shAf

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 03:20:53 pm »

This is probably more along the lines of the cause of the issue. Depending on your iPod and firmware on it - there is no guarantee whatsoever that it will sync with MC.

I realize there are no guarantees ... I can only assume JRiver would want to find a remedy(?) )most recent firm ware, btw)

Apple continues to be the problem here and it's been long documented that JRiver won't be bothering to try and "assist" with Apple in this regard.

JR would be neglecting a huge number of users, while they do seem to be making some effort to accommodate iPods.  Still, I do know where JR's priorities are.

If your iPod does sync with MC - considering yourself lucky :) My iPod Classic works great in MC 18 with Windows 7...but I am certain it's not Gen 6.5...

As a note aside ... I thought about putting this on the iPod forum, but I'm currently not trying to sync my iPod with MC, I'd like to but not yet.  This thread is simply about plugging my iPod in and it crashing MC ...

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 07:56:21 pm »

I'm getting similar behavior with an iPod Classic 6g (it's an 80GB version, which I think makes it a 6g).  I'm running Windows 8 Pro 64-bit with Media Center.

I last synced the iPod in January 2013.  I didn't notice this problem back then so perhaps something has changed between then and now.

I did find a workaround that seems to work

Close JRiver Media Center
Plug in the iPod
Launch JRiver Media Center as administrator (right-click on the shortcut for JRiver Media Center and select "Run as administrator")
The iPod should appear in JRiver Media Center and you should be able to manage it and sync

If you plug the iPod in while JRiver Media Center is running (even if JRiver was launched as administrator) the application will hang and give the error that it has stopped responding.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 08:23:23 pm »

I realize there are no guarantees ... I can only assume JRiver would want to find a remedy(?) )most recent firm ware, btw)

JRiver tried to keep things going but Apple kept up their usual ways - I don;t blame them for stopping that support.

I'm currently not trying to sync my iPod with MC, I'd like to but not yet.  This thread is simply about plugging my iPod in and it crashing MC ...

I am confused as to "why" you would want/need to be plugging in an iPod at all - when MC is running - with no intent to sync?

With MC's build-in native behavior (when running) to still try and connect to a portable device - you are looking for issues if the device cannot be connected correctly (as you can see).

Since I do not know what the purpose is of connecting an iPod - while MC is running - best answer I can offer is to just not connect your iPod when MC is running.

VP

shAf

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 08:38:37 pm »

Thanks for the info Froboz ... I too am running apps out of an account other than admin. Win8 makes it so easy to run from a different account, and at the same time access admin privileges when you need them, that I forget some softwares also need those same privileges.

Your workaround will help me as well even if I'm not sync'ing with MC, but only wanting access. I hope JR can do something about running MC without admin privileges--it is likely to affect more than just iPods

jack wallstreet

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 09:42:16 pm »

I have win8, MC18 and a number of Ipod Classic (from old to relatively new).  I have no trouble syncing them and I typically plug them in when MC18 is running.
John

Frobozz

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 09:54:07 pm »

I should add that I'm also running Microsoft's EMET 3.0 utility (Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit).  DEP set to Application Opt Out, SEHOP set to Application Opt Out, ASLR set to Application Opt In.  It is possible this problem is due to EMET blocking something.  I haven't tried disabling EMET yet to test for that.

Is anyone else who has this problem also running EMET or have DEP protection enabled?

I also don't have iTunes installed.  Don't know if that makes a difference or not.

shAf

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 07:26:50 am »

I am confused as to "why" you would want/need to be plugging in an iPod at all - when MC is running - with no intent to sync?
So I can listen to music  ::)

shAf

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 07:32:38 am »

I have win8, MC18 and a number of Ipod Classic (from old to relatively new).  I have no trouble syncing them and I typically plug them in when MC18 is running.

Are you working out of a Win8 account with admin privileges?  Leastwise, that is what Frobozz & I have in common.

I may be able to check on this on the weekend ... ie, to try the same from the admin account, but my WC18 library and configuration is associated with my non-admin account, so it may not be a viable test.  OTOH, I may learn something ...

Cheerios  :)

Vocalpoint

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 09:15:31 am »

So I can listen to music  ::)

Apologies - but I still don;t get it.

I use MC to listen to music - that's what it's there for. Why would you need to use the iPod at all (instead of MC) or - need to have MC running when plugging in the iPod?

Obviously - I must use my iPod much differently than you. The only time mine ever comes near a PC is to sync it.

VP

MerlinWerks

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 09:46:38 am »

I've had similar issues with MC18, Win 7 Home and two 160G Classics (7G), one about a year old and one new. MC would hang when I connected an ipod to the computer, regardless of whether MC was running before or started after the connection. Solution was to initialize the ipods with MC17, connect to the MC18 machine, initialize with that version, then I could sync as before. There is a thread in the ipod forum.

shAf

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 10:06:32 am »

Obviously - I must use my iPod much differently than you. The only time mine ever comes near a PC is to sync it.
The iPod is for our Audi ... but regardless what the iPod is for, it does need to be connected to the PC for sync'ing it with respect to which tracks belong on it.  It's a relatively large iPod Classic (240Gb), so the sync operation tends to be time consuming, and it's nice to have music playing.

BTW ... I do use a 3rd-party iPod manager (CopyTrans Manager), but the iPod drivers belong to having installed iTunes (but not using iTunes for anything).  That said, the problems comes with physically plugging the iPod in, not with using the iPod manager.

EDIT:  Lastly, it may be  an inconvenience, or maybe I can use a work-around, and certainly, when the iPod is completely sync'd, I'll be able to make small changes that would not inconvenience me.  However, other than my own inconvenience, the other big reason for my OP was to inform JRiver, figuring JR would want to know.

shAf

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 10:10:17 am »

I've had similar issues with MC18, Win 7 Home and two 160G Classics (7G), one about a year old and one new. MC would hang when I connected an ipod to the computer, regardless of whether MC was running before or started after the connection. Solution was to initialize the ipods with MC17, connect to the MC18 machine, initialize with that version, then I could sync as before. There is a thread in the ipod forum.
Just so I understand, you actually needed MC17 installed for initializing the iPod, before using MC18 for sync'ing?  I'd like to read that other thread ... do you have a link for it, or an idea what I'd search for?

Thanks for your response!  :)

Vocalpoint

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2013, 10:13:49 am »

The iPod is for our Audi ... but regardless what the iPod is for, it does need to be connected to the PC for sync'ing it with respect to which tracks belong on it.  It's a relatively large iPod Classic (240Gb), so the sync operation tends to be time consuming, and it's nice to have music playing.

Oh - so now you are "syncing" it? A few threads ago - you indicated that you were not. The way I was reading your thread to this point was - guy is connecting his iPod to the PC for some reason OTHER than syncing and MC is now locking while doing it. But it seems as tho you are trying to sync it AND listen to music (on it or on MC?) at the same time?

FWIW: I never do anything in MC while syncing my iPod - especially play music...but each to their own I guess.

The size of that device (240GB) indicates it's much newer than mine (6G) so I think this whole issue is down to MC not being able to connect to the device.

Not much you will be able to do there - unless the JRiver gang decide to do something about it. Which given their distaste for anything Apple - is probably not a priority for them.

This thread should really be in the iPods section BTW....

VP

shAf

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2013, 10:22:09 am »

This thread should really be in the iPods section BTW....
I thought about it, but decided it was a problem with MC18 itself ... that is, if I connect my iPod, use something other than MC to sync it, remove my iPod ... and if then MC18 does not work, the question is "Is it necessarily the iPod's fault?", or is it suggesting something else?  Also, it appears the same problem did not exist with MC17, which might imply it's specific to MC18.  In any case, it was a judgement call, and I didn't find anything similar in the iPod forum.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2013, 10:30:51 am »

if I connect my iPod, use something other than MC to sync it, remove my iPod ... and if then MC18 does not work, the question is "Is it necessarily the iPod's fault?", or is it suggesting something else?

You need to explain this sentence. What exactly do you mean when you "Connect your ipod and "use something else" to sync it..and then MC does not work?

You need to realize that MC is designed to "look" for an iPod upon connection. But just becuase it's "looking" does not mean it's going to work with it.

So - if you are using "something else" to sync the iPod - answer two questions for us:

1. What is this "something" else?
2. Why would you need to have MC running at all while using this "something else" to sync the iPod - when you now know - it instantly locks up?

Just leave MC off until you finish doing what your doing with that "something else". Problem solved.

Also, it appears the same problem did not exist with MC17, which might imply it's specific to MC18.  In any case, it was a judgement call, and I didn't find anything similar in the iPod forum.

Well - you could always install MC 17 (which I almost guarantee will not know anything about a 6.5 or 7G 240GB Classic) and try it. I suspect your issue will be the same

As far as I know - there is nothing wrong with MC 18 at all. MC 18 (and a few versions back) work perfectly - but only to a specific and certain point with a specific and certain iPods.

Why not just ask the MC devs what versions of iPods ARE supported and be done with it rather than hacking around thinking that MC is the culprit here. In my experience with MC (and a bunch of iPods) - if MC locks when you plug in an iPod - it's the iPod firmware version wrecking havoc - everytime.

VP

shAf

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2013, 10:44:42 am »

As far as I know - there is nothing wrong with MC 18 at all. MC 18 (and a few versions back) work perfectly

I see ... and your MC computer is just like mine, and everyone elses(??)

- but only to a specific and certain point with a specific and certain iPods. ...

... and you figure JR does not need to know about problems we're having with new hardware, let alone the number of us who buy into iPod technology everyday(??)

Looking back at all your posts in this thread, it's difficult to find with anything constructive, and apparently "helpful" means returning to MC17(?)  What began with you asking for clarification, ends with your assessment that MC18 is perfect, and it's my fault that something doesn't work they way it's supposed to.  My advice to you is ... [pause] ... what's the use?

Vocalpoint

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2013, 10:54:01 am »

... and you figure JR does not need to know about problems we're having with new hardware, let alone the number of us who buy into iPod technology everyday(??)

Report it if you want - but JRiver has been completely transparent in their explanations that trying to "support" Apple devices on a ongoing basis is not something they want to devote any further time to. Like I said at the top of the thread - if you do have a device that does work with MC - hang onto it since that's about as good as it's going to get :)

Looking back at all your posts in this thread, it's difficult to find with anything constructive, and apparently "helpful" means returning to MC17(?)  What began with you asking for clarification, ends with your assessment that MC18 is perfect, and it's my fault that something doesn't work they way it's supposed to.  My advice to you is ... [pause] ... what's the use?

Apologies for your issues and the frustration. It is not my intent to be a bear here - just trying to save you some time.

Finally - this is not your fault. If you need someone to blame - blame Apple. It's your iPod (and its firmware version) that is the root of this issue.

Cheers,

VP

MerlinWerks

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2013, 12:39:53 pm »

Just so I understand, you actually needed MC17 installed for initializing the iPod, before using MC18 for sync'ing?  I'd like to read that other thread ... do you have a link for it, or an idea what I'd search for?

Thanks for your response!  :)

HERE is the thread. Yes it seems most have had success initializing with MC17 then using MC18 for syncing. My older 7G Classic was originally initialized with MC17 and had been syncing with MC18.0.158. My problem started when I bought a new second 7G and tried to set it up, when I first connected it to .158 I got the "iTunes Version Message" so I upgraded MC to whatever was current at the time (.189?, I now use .193) and now either iPod would cause MC to hang when connected.
Found the thread in the iPod section and tried initializing with MC 17 and that did the trick. I have no answer for why my older iPod, originally initialized with MC17 and working with 18.0.158 started hanging MC after I upgraded past .158.

MerlinWerks

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2013, 12:56:35 pm »

You need to explain this sentence. What exactly do you mean when you "Connect your ipod and "use something else" to sync it..and then MC does not work?

You need to realize that MC is designed to "look" for an iPod upon connection. But just because it's "looking" does not mean it's going to work with it.

So - if you are using "something else" to sync the iPod - answer two questions for us:

1. What is this "something" else?
2. Why would you need to have MC running at all while using this "something else" to sync the iPod - when you now know - it instantly locks up?

If I've read correctly it appears that he is syncing with a third party iPod manager (Copy Trans), but still wishes to listen to music with MC while the sync progresses. However, he cannot listen to music with MC because it hangs whenever the iPod is connected to the PC.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2013, 01:10:28 pm »

If I've read correctly it appears that he is syncing with a third party iPod manager (Copy Trans), but still wishes to listen to music with MC while the sync progresses. However, he cannot listen to music with MC because it hangs whenever the iPod is connected to the PC.

And that's just it. As soon as MC is introduced into the mix (to listen to music or otherwise) - it immediately tries to connect to the iPod and then realizes - that specific iPod is not compatible. So it locks up etc etc.

If the OP would consider leaving MC out of the proceedings during his sync sequence - all would be fine. He can't be "syncing" and listening to music via MC18.

VP

MerlinWerks

• World Citizen
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2013, 01:33:27 pm »

And that's just it. As soon as MC is introduced into the mix (to listen to music or otherwise) - it immediately tries to connect to the iPod and then realizes - that specific iPod is not compatible. So it locks up etc etc.

If the OP would just leave MC out of the proceedings during his sync sequence - all would be fine. He can;t be "syncing" and listening to music via MC18. MC and his specific iPod are simply not compatible. And probably will never be.

VP

While I understand your point and that not starting MC is the quickest/simplest solution to his original issue, the fact remains that even when not trying to sync with a third party app, MC18 will hang when an iPod with a given initialization/formatting/state is connected to it. It has happened to me and a few others and we have been able to fix the problem by initializing the iPod with MC17.

I'm guessing that the main difference between the OP's G7 iPod and mine is that he has installed a larger hdd to get the extra capacity.

I understand your point about both apps trying to access the iPod at once so that might make what the OP ultimately wants to do impossible, but I feel he should at least be able to connect his iPod to his PC and not have MC hang.

shAf

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2013, 01:49:32 pm »

If the OP would consider leaving MC out of the proceedings during his sync sequence - all would be fine. He can't be "syncing" and listening to music via MC18.

Indeed I could ... but the fact remains that what "I'm trying to do" (read: "not necessarily needing to do") is crashing MC18(193).  I figured JR would want to know ... others trying to the same should know ... and if any kind of understanding of what the problem was (in spite of who's problem it actually is) came out of this (even a remedy), we'd all be the better for it(?)

Vocalpoint

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2013, 02:06:04 pm »

If any kind of understanding of what the problem was (in spite of who's problem it actually is) came out of this (even a remedy), we'd all be the better for it(?)

Of course we would be better for it. That would make me happy because I have a vested interest in this as a MC/iPod user.

But getting resolution on this would imply that JRiver is actually "actively (Proactively?) supporting iPods. My understanding is that they are not.

Have you tried to "reinitialize" your device in MC17. Seems a few folks are saying that might work?

VP

MerlinWerks

• World Citizen
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2013, 02:20:17 pm »

Of course we would be better for it. That would make me happy because I have a vested interest in this as a MC/iPod user.

But getting resolution on this would imply that JRiver is actually "actively (Proactively?) supporting iPods. My understanding is that they are not.

FWIW, my understanding was that they would not be actively supporting iOS based devices and that "dumb" iPods should be fine, obviously that could have changed, but I'm not aware of it.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2013, 02:27:53 pm »

FWIW, my understanding was that they would not be actively supporting iOS based devices and that "dumb" iPods should be fine, obviously that could have changed, but I'm not aware of it.

Yep - any device that has an encrypted database is no longer possible to use. But these Classics should still work.

Of course - Apple can (and does) do anything with no warning to protect their stuff - and I am sure they are very aware of Media Center and would rather have an iPod user sync thru Apple supported software rather than anyone else :)

We all need to remember this is all third party stuff and there are no guarantees. I am sticking with my current classic until is gives out.

VP

Frobozz

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2013, 03:03:38 pm »

Are you working out of a Win8 account with admin privileges?  Leastwise, that is what Frobozz & I have in common.

I may be able to check on this on the weekend ... ie, to try the same from the admin account, but my WC18 library and configuration is associated with my non-admin account, so it may not be a viable test.  OTOH, I may learn something ...

Cheerios  :)

My user account is an Administrator account.  I'm not running as a Standard or limited user account.

Even when logged in as an Administrator the programs launched are still run with some restrictions.  Launching a program with "Run as administrator" gives the program more privileges even if you already are an administrator.

I'm still suspicious that this may be due to what EMET does by enabling additional DEP, SEHOP, and ASLR protections.  I haven't tried disabling EMET yet (turning it off requires reboots and other messing around).

Are you running with any additional settings like DEP (Data Execution Protection)?

shAf

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2013, 08:50:02 pm »

My user account is an Administrator account.  I'm not running as a Standard or limited user account.

Even when logged in as an Administrator the programs launched are still run with some restrictions.  Launching a program with "Run as administrator" gives the program more privileges even if you already are an administrator.

I'm still suspicious that this may be due to what EMET does by enabling additional DEP, SEHOP, and ASLR protections.  I haven't tried disabling EMET yet (turning it off requires reboots and other messing around).

Are you running with any additional settings like DEP (Data Execution Protection)?

No ... I'm not running anything like that ... Least wise not knowingly.

There are a number of responses here to work with ... Even to install MC17 to see what happens. However, I believe the best clue may be about the privileges, or lack of, when I run MC out of a user account. Give me a couple of days and stay tuned...

Frobozz

« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2013, 12:58:26 am »

There are a number of responses here to work with ... Even to install MC17 to see what happens. However, I believe the best clue may be about the privileges, or lack of, when I run MC out of a user account. Give me a couple of days and stay tuned...

You would know if you had enabled DEP.  You have to manually enable it and it's a geeky thing to do so you'd know if you had enabled it.

What made me suspicious that it may be due to DEP or EMET is that I didn't have DEP enabled or EMET installed on this computer back in January when I last synced the iPod and it connected and synced just fine back then.  And the way this is failing is similar to how DEP or EMET can sometimes cause things to silently fail.  But that's probably a false lead.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2013, 09:37:42 am »

Shaf...

Great news - 18.0.195 was just released...with a little something for you..

"Fixed: If an iPod failed to initialize, it could cause a hang when trying to display the error message."

Give 195 a whirl and see if this gets you going.

Cheers,

VP

shAf

« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2013, 10:17:00 am »

Great news - 18.0.195 was just released...with a little something for you..

"Fixed: If an iPod failed to initialize, it could cause a hang when trying to display the error message."

Woo Hoo!!! Thanks VP!!  ;D

Frobozz

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2013, 09:14:53 pm »

I just did a quick check with 195.

Plugged in the iPod while MC was running and it didn't hang.  I did get an error saying there was no database on the iPod and that the iPod would need to be initialized.

Plugged in the iPod before launching MC and MC found the iPod.  No error about no database.  MC was able to show the files that are on the iPod and display what files need to be synced.  Looks like every file on the iPod will need to be synced.

I'll try an actual sync tonight or tomorrow night.  It could take a while.

shAf

« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2013, 08:29:42 am »

Plugged in the iPod before launching MC and MC found the iPod.  No error about no database.  MC was able to show the files that are on the iPod and display what files need to be synced.  Looks like every file on the iPod will need to be synced.

Maybe I should consider using MC for sync'ing with my iPod(?)  The 1st time I tried it I was put off by the "... the iPod would need to be initialized." message, because at the time it was my iPhone and I didn't want it disabling any possibility of sync'ing apps with iTunes.

In the case of this iPod Classic, I don't want it going near iTunes, so it possible I could consider other 3rd-party managers, including MC.

However, just one question (i.e., while I have your attention, as we are now getting into topics that belong in the iPod forum):  So as to not waste the time taken to sync the 150Gb already on my iPod, does MC17 allow for copying from the iPod to a folder on my computer? (independent of my default MC library ... i.e., just in case I want to use an alternate library for this purpose)

Thanks to all for your help and suggestions! ... especially to JR for this fix!!  :)

Vocalpoint

« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2013, 08:59:04 am »

So as to not waste the time taken to sync the 150Gb already on my iPod, does MC17 allow for copying from the iPod to a folder on my computer? (independent of my default MC library ... i.e., just in case I want to use an alternate library for this purpose)

I do not believe it works this way. You can only sync from the MC library to the iPod. I use a special Smartlist to sync my iPod to MC - so I can selectively choose excatly what I want on the device.

Cheers,

VP

MerlinWerks

• World Citizen
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2013, 09:16:52 am »

However, just one question (i.e., while I have your attention, as we are now getting into topics that belong in the iPod forum):  So as to not waste the time taken to sync the 150Gb already on my iPod, does MC17 allow for copying from the iPod to a folder on my computer? (independent of my default MC library ... i.e., just in case I want to use an alternate library for this purpose)

I'm reasonably certain this is possible, I know somewhere there is a choice to transfer files from ipod to pc, I would imagine it will let you select the target folder. It may be in a right-click context menu. Unfortunately, I don't have a MC install right here to look for it.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2013, 09:55:37 am »

I'm reasonably certain this is possible, I know somewhere there is a choice to transfer files from ipod to pc, I would imagine it will let you select the target folder. It may be in a right-click context menu. Unfortunately, I don't have a MC install right here to look for it.

Yep - when you have the iPod plugged in and click on Details (When the Action Window pops up)...you should go into the iPod Sync Queue - there you can highlight a bunch of tracks in the window and then right click...

Should see this menu fly out...

And then this dialog..

Should take care of everything you need...

Amazing - I learn something new practically every second day in MC....

Cheers,

VP

shAf

« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2013, 10:09:36 am »

Yep - when you have the iPod plugged in and click on Details (When the Action Window pops up)...you should go into the iPod Sync Queue - there you can highlight a bunch of tracks in the window and then right click...

Should see this menu fly out...
Should take care of everything you need...

Great ... the other manager I was considering would've cost me $20 for the upgrade for doing this.  As long as MC allows for alternate libraries, this may possibly make it easier for me to manage only those files that go to the iPod ... (OTOH, maybe not ... practice will tell)

Amazing - I learn something new practically every second day in MC....

Exactly? ... where would we be without the forum and the friends that contribute?  :D

MerlinWerks

• World Citizen
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2013, 10:17:07 am »

... As long as MC allows for alternate libraries, this may possibly make it easier for me to manage only those files that go to the iPod ... (OTOH, maybe not ... practice will tell)

Yes, you can create alternate libraries to suit your needs.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2013, 10:25:21 am »

Great ... the other manager I was considering would've cost me $20 for the upgrade for doing this.  As long as MC allows for alternate libraries, this may possibly make it easier for me to manage only those files that go to the iPod ... (OTOH, maybe not ... practice will tell)

You can "manage" what goes to the iPod from right inside MC by using Smartlists. I also maintain a completely separate "Mobile" library on local disc for all my MP3 stuff that syncs to to iPod. I do this to keep the iPod away from our main FLAC based library.

Cheers!

VP

shAf

« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2013, 11:16:36 am »

You can "manage" what goes to the iPod from right inside MC by using Smartlists. I also maintain a completely separate "Mobile" library on local disc for all my MP3 stuff that syncs to to iPod. I do this to keep the iPod away from our main FLAC based library.
My library is similar ... files appropriate for iPod, other not (e.g., 24 bit HD albums).  I haven't yet had an application for Smartlists.  What kind of "smarts" did you impose??  For example, I could imagine "must be <300kps", "mp3 or M4a"(?)  It would still need to be pruned for 500Gb to 240Gb, but would be easier to select music I want versus don't want.

Frobozz

« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2013, 04:03:22 pm »

Plugged in the iPod while MC was running and it didn't hang.  I did get an error saying there was no database on the iPod and that the iPod would need to be initialized.

I synced the iPod Classic last night using build 195.  It works.
If I plug the iPod in while MC is running I still get the no database found need to initialize the iPod message.
If I close MC, plug in the iPod, then open MC I don't get the need to initialize the iPod message and everything works.

I don't know what's up with the need to initialize the iPod message.  I can't recall if that is how MC behaved before or not.  My use of the iPod is to sync it with new songs maybe just once per year.  Maybe twice in a year if I'm feeling adventurous with new music.  It's a long time between syncs so it's hard to remember how MC behaved the last time I synced.

Frobozz

« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2013, 04:19:37 pm »

My library is similar ... files appropriate for iPod, other not (e.g., 24 bit HD albums).  I haven't yet had an application for Smartlists.  What kind of "smarts" did you impose??  For example, I could imagine "must be <300kps", "mp3 or M4a"(?)  It would still need to be pruned for 500Gb to 240Gb, but would be easier to select music I want versus don't want.

There are many ways to do Smartlists.

What I did to manage the iPod is create a custom library field called "Sync With iPod Classic" that gets a value of "Yes" "No" or empty.  I have a smartlist that includes any song where "Sync With iPod Classic" is set to "Yes".  That Smartlist is what gets synced.

It's not the most advanced or smartest use of Smartlists.  But it works and is easy enough for me to manage and remember how to do.

My library is mostly FLAC with a few MP3 files.  The FLAC files get transcoded to MP3 during the snyc.  Figuring out how many albums would fit on the iPod after transcoding was trial and error.  Add some albums to the smartlist, sync, and then see how much space is left on the iPod.  Add more until the iPod is full.  I'm not making use of all of the smarts available in MC to do this.  But it works fine for my use.  I only change what is on the iPod about once per year so this method works for me.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2013, 05:53:33 pm »

What I did to manage the iPod is create a custom library field called "Sync With iPod Classic" that gets a value of "Yes" "No" or empty.  I have a smartlist that includes any song where "Sync With iPod Classic" is set to "Yes".  That Smartlist is what gets synced.

Yep - same here - my field is simply called Sync..and it has a user list attached to it - if my name appears in this field - that track goes to my iPod.

Cheers,

VP

dfs9393

• Recent member
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2013, 09:55:41 am »

this is my experience as well.

Win8 pro 64 bit, mc18, newest ipod classic.  I've latest itunes installed as well and I never had issue with mc18 sync.  It worked out of the box.

MerlinWerks

• World Citizen
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2013, 09:07:06 am »

.195 seems to have resolved my issue  ;D

larryrup

• World Citizen
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2013, 09:11:13 am »

Should anyone come to this older thread with problem with the above combo, I have a solution to try that worked for me.

First, my problem was not getting Windows 8 nor MC to see the IPOD.  I went through every troubleshooting guide Apple had, then finally found an Apple suggestion, which was, if you have a internal or external drive using the letter "E", change it and allow "e" to be unused.  Once I change this, Windows saw the IPOD, loaded a driver and I haven't had a problem since.

Hope it helps if your having a problem.

Regards,

Larry
Larry
HTPC, , JRiver.  Music Source:Network share drive.  Speakers:B&W P6, AMP:Yaqin 100b, DAC:BiFrost Uber, Headphones:Audeze LCD2, Sens HD600, AT W5000, Headphone Amps:XCAN v8, Woo Fireflies, Original EarMax.
Pages: [1]   Go Up