INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GIZMO & JRiver remote control  (Read 11392 times)

artto

• Recent member
GIZMO & JRiver remote control
« on: June 06, 2013, 01:47:33 pm »

I finally got everything working the way I want with J River MC 17on a Windows 8 laptop PC with HDMI connection to a NAD C390DD direct digital amplifier. (sounds fantastic BTW)

Now I would like to get a Tablet, like the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 or Galaxy II and use the Tablet as a remote control device for the PC. In other words I want the laptop's display to show up in the Tablet so I can touch screen select J River MC to start and select albums/songs to play/pause/stop from the Tablet while I sit in my comfy chair at the best listening position.

Is GIZMO what I should be using for this? And if so, do I need to install it on the Tablet, the PC, or both?

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: GIZMO & JRiver remote control
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 02:00:08 pm »

I finally got everything working the way I want with J River MC 17on a Windows 8 laptop PC with HDMI connection to a NAD C390DD direct digital amplifier. (sounds fantastic BTW)

Now I would like to get a Tablet, like the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 or Galaxy II and use the Tablet as a remote control device for the PC. In other words I want the laptop's display to show up in the Tablet so I can touch screen select J River MC to start and select albums/songs to play/pause/stop from the Tablet while I sit in my comfy chair at the best listening position.

Is GIZMO what I should be using for this? And if so, do I need to install it on the Tablet, the PC, or both?

Given that Bitremote has been discontinued, I believe that Gizmo is the only Android based remote that is readily available. That makes the answer to the first question pretty easy.

Do a forum search and check the wiki, there are a number of entries around Gizmo. In short, there's a Playstore app that you download to your Android device and then the key is setting up MC as a server and getting the two to handshake and play nice. Simple enough, even I've been able to get it to work.

Good news on the C 390DD. Very glad to hear you've made progress.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 02:16:16 pm »

astromo do you know if anyone is developing a droid remote? i'm far from fond of gizmo, and it's features.
thanks

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 03:06:36 pm »

astromo do you know if anyone is developing a droid remote? i'm far from fond of gizmo, and it's features.
thanks

Easy big fella, I'm no expert. I just get my info from the forum:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=67831.0
The above is out of date because it directs to Bitremote (discontinued) and does not mention Gizmo. Whatever else is out there, I'm not privvy to that intelligence. So, the question should be directed to the MC development team and anyone else out there who's capable and industrious.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

HTPC4ME

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 03:34:21 pm »

Thanks astromo, Anyone else?

artto

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 07:03:12 pm »

OK. I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab2 tablet.

The Gizmo install instructions are "wrong". "Market" on the android phone or tablet is now called "Play Store".

I went through the process shown on J River wiki and tried to enter the Access Code shown in J River and on the tablet Gizmo says it's incorrect.

Now what?

artto

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 10:53:39 am »

When I bring up the Gizmo app on the Tablet, in the upper left corner it says "Gizmo connect to server". In the top middle of the display it says "Enter a JRiver Library Server access key:"

When I enter the six characters shown in MC17 --> Tools --> Options --> Media Network --> Access Key: ****** it says "There was a problem connecting to the server"

"Please double-check that you have entered the correct key, and that the server and your connection are working"

Excuse my ignorance, but the Access Key shown above is what is shown in JRiver unless I'm looking at the wrong thing. And how to I know if the "connection is working"?

HTPC4ME

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 10:57:48 am »

artto, try setting up port forwarding on your router to the port specified in jriver options. - http://portforward.com/help/start_here.htm

Also this link has helped me in the past - http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Server

artto

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 11:28:59 am »

Thanks but I don't think its that complicated (it certainly shouldn't be). If it is then the Tablet is going back to the store.

After digging a little deeper I think the problem is related to having two different operating systems, the Tablet's and Windows 8. It's simply that the Tablet and my (Windows 8) home network are not "seeing" each other, like the Tablet has to become part of my home network Workgroup and join the Homegroup. And as yet I don't know how to accomplish that.

EDIT: Might this be more easily accomplished via Bluetooth? Just a USB Bluetooth adapter on the PC and connect that way? I'm not trying to play or transfer anything from the PC to the Tablet. I just want to use the Tablet as a wireless "remote control" of the MC files on the PC.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 11:59:45 am »

.. I think the problem is related to having two different operating systems, the Tablet's and Windows 8. It's simply that the Tablet and my (Windows 8) home network are not "seeing" each other, like the Tablet has to become part of my home network Workgroup and join the Homegroup.
That's not correct.  The tablet just needs to find an open port where it expects (usually 52199).  The Windows firewall needs to be open on that port.

The wiki topic on "Network Access" has more.

artto

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2013, 03:23:39 pm »

Thnx Jim,

That's all fine and great but I don't have clue about how to do any port forwarding. I called my service provider (AT&T) and they completely disabled the firewall on the router for my Tablet and said access to all ports should now be open. The Laptop PC with JRiver and the tablet still don't see each other.

You know, if you guys could make this stuff so someone doesn't have to spend so many HOURS trying to get things to work they way they're supposed to you might sell more software. I can't speak for anyone else, but I bought all this stuff for listening to music, not screwing around with the technical aspects of making things work like some computer geek.

artto

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2013, 06:44:06 pm »

I've uninstalled Norton Internet Security and disabled Windows 8 Firewall.

I also went onto 2wire.com which AT&T uses for the gateway/router and it shows the android device's allowed applications, and port numbers for tcp and udp, both show 52000-53000.

The android and Gizmo will not connect.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2013, 07:09:09 pm »

If you want to send me the details, I'll check from here.  jimh at jriver.

artto

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2013, 08:42:16 pm »

Thank you Jim.

I don't have anymore time to spend on this at the moment and tomorrow is the rest of the Chicago Blues Festival  :)

I let you know as much as I can as soon as I can.

http://gateway.2wire.net/xslt?PAGE=C_2_0a&NODEID=25

Services
 Settings
 Site Map

System Info
 Broadband
 LAN
 Firewall
 Logs
 Diagnostics

Status  
 Wireless
 Wired Interfaces
 DHCP
 IP Address Allocation
 Statistics

Device Details

Name android-1bb3552471302384
Connection Type 802.11
Connected to : AP  068
IP Address 192.168.1.64
IP Address Allocation DHCP
IP Address Type Private (NAT)
Hardware Address 6c:f3:73:21:b4:cf
Status On

Allowed Applications                        Application Type          Protocol               Port Number(s)     Public IP
tcp 52199                                       -                                   TCP                  52000-53000        108.81.209.61
udp 52199                                      -                                   UDP                  52000-53000        108.81.209.61

Castius

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2013, 01:13:56 am »

I get the feeling 2wire is still not forwarding correctly.
a. Don't use a range because you don't need one.
b. If your use a range and not setting "Map to host port" correctly it will not work.

Can you describe the information you have set based on this page
http://support.2wire.com/?page=view&article=21#4orhigherfirmware

I'm looking at this image.
http://support.2wire.com/view/21/hp_firewall.png
It should read
Port(or range): from: 52199 to 52199
and
Map to host port: 52199

If it's not setup like this it's probably not going to work.

I hope the Blues Festival was nice.

Castius

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2013, 01:22:38 am »

And to add to that. I don't even see how this send the port to a specific IP in your network. Does it need to?
I'm not very familiar with this service. But it doesn't look like very much fun to deal with.
Standard router forwarding is much easier to understand.
Example:
http://www.cctvcamerapros.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/linksys-port-forwarding.jpg

artto

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2013, 08:24:12 am »

As far as I'm concerned I don't see why port forwarding is required anyway. I'm not trying to play music on a PC at a different location on a different network (like at work). And I'm not trying to play music from JRiver that's on my laptop PC on the android. This is all being done on my own internal LAN. Why should any port forwarding be required? There's already a port range specified for these devices in the gateway/router.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2013, 09:02:19 am »

You shouldn't have had to make any changes to your router in order to use Gizmo on your LAN.

artto

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2013, 10:02:12 am »

You shouldn't have had to make any changes to your router in order to use Gizmo on your LAN.

Then why doesn't it work?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2013, 10:30:35 am »

I don't know.  Possibilities are:

1.  A typo in the Access Key.  It's case sensitive.

2.  A firewall blocking access on the PC. 

3.  Media Server isn't running.

4.  One device isn't on the same network.  For example, your tablet may be connected to a phone network, and not to your local wireless LAN.

Follow the instructions on the Gizmo wiki page exactly.

So either take the tablet back, or pay attention to the details and leave out the complaints.  Gizmo works.

artto

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2013, 11:33:58 am »

I don't know.  Possibilities are:

1.  A typo in the Access Key.  It's case sensitive.

2.  A firewall blocking access on the PC. 

3.  Media Server isn't running.

4.  One device isn't on the same network.  For example, your tablet may be connected to a phone network, and not to your local wireless LAN.

Follow the instructions on the Gizmo wiki page exactly.

So either take the tablet back, or pay attention to the details and leave out the complaints.  Gizmo works.

1. There is no typo in the Access Key. I have it memorized by now.
2. The firewall isn't blocking anything because it's disabled on both the tablet and the PC
3. Media Server IS running
4. Both devices are on the same network

As for the instructions on the Gizmo page, they are not up to date and they do not show each and every step. The figure shown doesn't even match MC17 Options window. Update your documentation as well as provide the variations for previous versions.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2013, 12:04:37 pm »

The web page may reflect the current version (MC18).  If you see other errors, please point them out.

If you're getting the message that the Access Key is not valid, that's probably the problem.  You could try generating another key, but it will probably also fail. 

Ekpen

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2013, 05:33:21 pm »

1. There is no typo in the Access Key. I have it memorized by now.
2. The firewall isn't blocking anything because it's disabled on both the tablet and the PC
3. Media Server IS running
4. Both devices are on the same network

As for the instructions on the Gizmo page, they are not up to date and they do not show each and every step. The figure shown doesn't even match MC17 Options window. Update your documentation as well as provide the variations for previous versions.

Greetings:
If you are looking for help in port forwarding, this might help.. Google  PFportcheck, install, it will help you set up port forwarding for this issue and other issues you may have with your router. You may also have to unplug router from wall for 10-15 seconds, your dsl modem etc, unplug and plug back after a few seconds.
You may need to uninstall your Gizmo , restart your tablet and install fresh version.

Thanks.
George

nitephlight

• World Citizen
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2013, 11:47:19 pm »

um maybe im missing some requirement here, but you don't actually need Gizmo to do this necessarily

assuming you are on the same network,
- you can use UPnP / DLNA app like BubbleUPnP or Mediahouse to do the same thing (just make sure the renderer setting is your server not local)
- instead of having the tablet connect directly to mc17, you can just use a screen mirroring/extending app like Airdisplay to use your tablet as a wireless second monitor for your laptop

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2013, 07:48:22 am »

... you don't actually need Gizmo to do this necessarily
It's one of the things that Gizmo does.
Pages: [1]   Go Up