INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is ipod sync supposed to do full sync every time?  (Read 4500 times)

dfs9393

• Recent member
Is ipod sync supposed to do full sync every time?
« on: June 07, 2013, 09:57:48 am »

latest ipod classic 160gb
mc18
win8 pro x64.

My sync works, but every time I sync it appears to send all the files instead of syncing just the changes.   

Is the the expected behavior?  Is there anyway to sync only changes?

MerlinWerks

• World Citizen
Re: Is ipod sync supposed to do full sync every time?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 09:15:15 am »

My setup only syncs the files I select. Under the hand held options (right-click on device in tree > options) do you have anything selected in the right hand pane for automatic syncing? FWIW, I don't. Additionally in the left-hand pane there is an option to "resync if date modified changes", maybe something in your system (backup program?) changes that info on your files triggering a resync.

MerlinWerks

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 09:27:11 am »

Now that I've reread your question after I posted, I see that you probably want to sync automatically  :P

Maybe the info HERE will help. Are you syncing "All Audio" instead of a specific playlist?

swinster

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 09:24:17 am »

I must say, I had the exact same question.

It's been a while (read since MC16!) that I synced me iPod Classic 160GB with MC - I have simply been happy to listed to what was on the iPod in random order ever since. However, I have been adding stats such as star ratings on the iPod and music to the MC Library so I then decided to synch my iPod with MC18, but am facing this very same issue. I can't remember if this was the case years ago.

However, reading MerlinWerks comments re what I have set up to sync, it maybe  that I have the sync incorrectly. I do like carrying the entire collection on the iPod (as it large enough to hold what I have), but I also like to listen to music that I haven't listed to either for a while or even (as according to the "Number of Play" in MC). I have several smart lists that list the music according to the number of plays, or that I haven't listed to in a while, but as said, I also like my entire collection on the iPod - just in case I facny a change. To this end, I has selected "All Audio", plus various different play and smart lists.

Is this incorrect?

I had thought that a list was simply that - a list of songs that I would want to listen to, not actually the songs themselves - hence I though that getting all music on the iPod with different list type would cover all scenarios. However, I am seeing the same issue as above.

I even tried to re-initialise the iPod, then sync, but as soon as the sync had finished, MC still wanted to re-synch the vast majority of the library. Apart from a handful of tracks. Lastly, I don't actually think that the playing stats or changes to star ratings sync back from the iPod to MC (and yes, i did have the "get playstats from the handheld on re-connect").

Edit - I have just read the WiKi page link to transferring files to/from a hand-held device, but it doesn't really say anything that I'm not already doing. In fact, I had set up the advanced option to "automatically remove all files on your device" during the sync - but all MC want to do is delete the majority of files it has just synced only to replace them with the same files!

swinster

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 09:35:27 am »

Ah - never mind figured it.

In the Options for the handheld device, I have now un-ticked the box that says "Re-sync if date modified has changed". Now MC no longer wants to re-sync the entire catalogue.

Looks like playstats are now syncing as well. I have lost may of the playstats setup on the iPod, previously - I'm guessing the reason that these didn't sync was that the actual library folder structure in MC had change since the last synch (as things have been moved to a new server). Shame, but not biggie at the end of the day.
Pages: [1]   Go Up