INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: So the conundrum is this:DSD and all else at 192 or no DSD and all else Original  (Read 2594 times)

Bachiano

• Junior Woodchuck

I'm doing some experimenting with Media Network Settings.

I have three Flac files:
1- 24/44
2- 24/96
3 -24/192

I also have a DSD Album.

So the conundrum is this: DSD and everything else at 192 or no DSD and all other files at their native sampling rates.

1)If I set under "add or configure DNLA server / audio / mode > To Original.
- then I can send all three flac files at their various sample rates but not DSD.

2) If I set under "add or configure DNLA server / audio / mode > specified output format only when necessary > / Sample rate 192
-then I can send DSD but everything is converted to 192.

So it seems to me that (specified output format only when necessary)
is behaving as if it were (output format only)

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks
Bachiano

Peter_RN

• World Citizen
  • Old Guys Rule... the older I get the better I was.

Hi Bachiano

In this thread http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=80492.msg548633#msg548633

Bob gave this explanation for the use of these settings as:

There currently isn't a way to achieve that level of granularity with DLNA.
In general, DLNA renderers don't properly report exactly what sample rates, bit rates, etc that they support. In fact when playing wave files, there currently isn't a way for them to do so. The "specified output format" means to convert EVERYTHING to that output format. The "when necessary" option only handles different codecs, not sample rates, etc.

Hope this is relevant

Peter

Bachiano

• Junior Woodchuck

That was very helpful.
I think I understand now.

Well then.

All that is needed to play all the various sampling rates including DSD,
is to have an extra option In (Media server / Audio / Advance / Sample rate / add = Greater than)

Where "Greater than" would function the same in Media Server as it does in DSP & output format.
In other words anything below 192 remains original and anything above gets down-converted to 192.

Now that I think about it, it would even be better if all the sample rate options in (DSP & output format) are brought over to Media Server.

How do I make a feature request ?

Thanks
Bachiano

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe

We were talking this over a bit today. It seems like what convert when necessary could use for this is similar to an expression.

Bachiano

• Junior Woodchuck

Hi Bob

Sorry. I am a newbie end user.
I have no idea what you just said.

Can you explain it to me in simple analogies.

Thanks
Bachiano

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe

Sorry,
I just meant there is no way to do what you want to do now however we could envision a way to do it. Let's say it's on the wish list.

Bachiano

• Junior Woodchuck

Awesome.
Please let us know ASAP when you expect implementation.

Thank You!!!
Bachiano

Peter_RN

• World Citizen
  • Old Guys Rule... the older I get the better I was.

Sorry,
I just meant there is no way to do what you want to do now however we could envision a way to do it. Let's say it's on the wish list.

I too would like to thank you for giving this further consideration, if you do find a way to implement this feature it would be the icing on the cake of what is already the best music player I have found.

Thanks again
Peter
Pages: [1]   Go Up