INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Matt -- .shn files  (Read 1045 times)

Charlemagne 8

• Citizen of the Universe
Matt -- .shn files
« on: March 24, 2002, 04:18:20 pm »

Matt,
What is this? Ever heard of it? Anything like APE?
CVIII
http://www.etree.org/
That's right.
I'm cool.

Charlemagne 8

RE:Matt -- .shn files
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2002, 04:44:37 pm »

OK, I did a search. You've heard of them. Question #3 still is valid.
Apparently these are files of live shows that are blessed by the artists themselves. Links appear on the artists websites for .shn downloads. No Big Five involved.
That's right.
I'm cool.

zevele1

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2002, 12:12:55 am »

KarolusVIII

Do you know how to deal with it?
shn was the first time i bang my head against the walls .It was the first week i had my computer,you can imagine...Cause of Gratefull Dead concerts

I do not remenber all the stuff.The only thing i know is how to decompress in wav and how to listen to it,BUT NOT with any players
I know there is a WinAmp plugging,but i just cannot find it.Beside this i do not know if the pluging is working with MJ8
I do not know if shn is a good format.The same song is 28|PLS|mb in wav and 10mb in shn
Anyway the best thing is to be able to listen to it first,if you like it you may convert to mp3,ape or other formats

Matt
Can you be of any help concerning the pluging to play it?
have a good cafee when you wake up,cause i think you are in bed right now

Poison Dan

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2002, 03:38:53 am »

Shorten is a lossless compression format that is very popular among bootleggers/traders.

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately for Matt ) it doesn't perform very well, especially when compared to e.g. APE.

Here is a comparison:
http://home.wanadoo.nl/~w.speek/comparison.htm

HTH

Poison Dan

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2002, 03:16:28 pm »

Poison Dan,
Thanks. That was the information I was looking for. The conclusions at the end is really what.

Conclusion:

1. Monkey's Audio offers best compression and speed. Even at "Normal" setting it compresses better than the others at their highest compression level.

2. With LPAC and FLAC it doesn't really pay off to use the "Extra high" c.q. "-8" setting. It's much slower than "Medium" c.q. "-5", but the extra compression is little (to none in the case of LPAC with "random access" enabled).

3. Shorten, though popular in certain trading communities, offers poor compression.

I never heard of #2. Now it doesn't matter.
I had never heard of .shn either until going to a site Zevele10 showed me. I think if I ever do get an .shn file, I'll convert it to APE or MPC. Live is live and I'm unconvinced a lossless format is worth the extra time and disk space necessary.

BTW, before downloading any of these files, I check to see if the artist is cooperating by providing a link to the download site. As a former unabashed Napsterite, I have been converted by this forum. Stealing is stealing even if you don't get caught and "everyone" is doing it.

Cviii
That's right.
I'm cool.

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2002, 03:46:48 pm »

Zevele10,
There are a lot of utilities to deal with .shn files at the http://www.etree.org/ site.
CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

zevele1

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2002, 04:18:36 am »

Charlemagne8
I don't get you on this one
SHN is kind of zip.You want or no,you will get concerts in SHN,and if you want upload concerts,you have to do it in SHN
SHN was never really a musical format, more a format to download and upload in a lossless format.Was not APE at this time,and it is smaller than APE
Beside this ,even if millions people on this forum tell you it is the best format of the galaxy...HOW DO YOU PLAY IT?
Why to play it? At least one time.You like the concert or not.AFTER this you convert
I have a software to listen or convert.
softsound at www.softsound.com
You can play OR convert.Means if you listen to it,you cannot convert,if you convert you cannot listen to it.Like it you can listen to a concert.If you like it ,you can convert to wav
APE is a no way to me ,because of room.And i want a full few hours concert on one disk-like it you can smoke Malboro as much as you want....
Because all the bands are "jam bands" with most of the songs at 10|PLS| minutes,mp3 is not the good choice.I will go for MPC

I just do not care if bands are ok or not.I have hours and hours of live music from bands i really like.I have ALL they records.Even the german lp edition cause there is a song not on the US one[of cause i have the US one-And the UK one,cause the sleeve is not the same]
I saw them in concert as much as possible.So to have the 11/08/79 Paris concert is part of "THIS LOVE",not stealling anything

I am still a "Napster" user.Audiogalaxy,Imesh and Kaza.For all of them the hacker version-without spyware-.If not,how few hours after a post from you telling me try it,how can i tell you: it's great ,i really love it
Now if people want to know,i used "Napster" for 4 bands you told me.I bought ALL the records i found for all the bands

If someone knows of a pluging to play NSH format-even not with MediaJukebox- you are VERY welcome
Pages: [1]   Go Up