INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound problem (clicks, stuttering, etc.) [Solved]  (Read 9573 times)

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
Sound problem (clicks, stuttering, etc.) [Solved]
« on: June 14, 2013, 07:29:28 am »

Please post here with sound problems.
We're still looking at your posts from other threads, but to help us reproduce this issue it will help to have one consistent thread.

Please include:

1. DAC model and connection type (USB or Network)
2. OSX version (10.6, 10.7, 10.8 ) and Media Center build (195, 196, etc.)
3. File type (FLAC, ALAC, AIFF, WAV, etc.)
4. File sample rate (44.1khz, 96khz, 192khz, etc.), and bit depth (16 bit, 24 bit)
5. Description of the audible sound problem.
6. Steps to reproduce. (for example, does it only happen at transitions between files of different sample rates, etc.)
7. If it only happens with certain files, please dropbox one to us.
8. If you have set unusual playback or DSP options in Media Center, let us know. (please try first with vanilla settings to see if it makes a difference)

Thanks for helping!!
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

scottlf

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Sound problem debugging (clicks, stuttering, etc.)
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 02:38:51 pm »

I have some tests for you. My "stutter" problem always happens when moving from higher sample rates to lower, never from lower to higher, and never between files of the same sample rate.

First Round:

1) DAC: Audio Research DAC7. Computer output USB to V-Link/192, thence SPDIF (RCA) to DAC.
2) OS X 10.8.3
3) File types: AIFF to AIFF
4) Bit depth and sample rate: 24, 96 kHz changing to 16, 44.1 kHz

Begin playing the 96kHz/24 file. Then change to 44.1kHz/16 file. Stutter begins at 25 seconds. Restarting playback on the 44.1kHz/16 file clears up the stutter. I did three trials with the same two files and had the same results each time, with the stutter showing up clearly between 25 - 27 seconds each time.

I had precisely the same results when switching to two other files with the same characteristics (both AIFF, 96 kHz/24 to 44.1kHz/16).

Second Round:

1), 2) the same
3) AIFF to AIFF
4) Bit depth and sample rate: 24, 88.2 kHz changing to 16, 44.1 kHz

Stutter on the 44.1 kHz file began almost immediately. Restarted playback; no stutter.

Third round:

1) and 2) the same
3) FLAC to FLAC

Stutter on the 44.1 kHz file began at 25 seconds. Restarted playback; no stutter.

Fourth round:

1) and 2) the same
3) AIFF to FLAC

This was immediately after Round Three; the stutter began almost immediately on the 44.1 kHz file. Restarted playback; no stutter.

Fifth Round:

1) and 2) the same
3) AIFF to AIFF
4) Bit depth and sample rate: 24, 96 kHz changing to 24, 48 kHz

Stutter on the 48 kHz file at 50 seconds. On a repeat of the round, the stutter on the 48 kHz file started at 50-51 seconds. In both cases restarting playback cleared the stutter.

I hope that this helps -- this "stutter" issue is, for me, the big showstopper bug in MC.

I should mention that I get similar results on my other system:

Same OS
DAC: Bryston BDA-1; computer USB to V-Link II and hence via SPDIF (RCA) to Bryston

Cheers,
Scott

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 03:24:25 pm »

1. DAC is a Apogee Duet (24/96 limit) connected via Firewire to my Mac Mini - files are stored on a NAS but the issue happens even with storage on local HD

2. OSX version 10.8.4 and using latest Media Center build (.196), however it has happened with the last eight builds at least.

3. File type - reproducible with just AIFF files but also with DSF going lower bit rate AIFF

4. File sample rate - 24/96 AIFF, 16/44.1 AIFF and DSF files (64) (which I have MC convert to 24/88)

5. It sounds like a continuous series of ticks or static. I can hear music still but it is very distracting.

6. It always happens when I play a DSF file or a 24/96 file first and than switch to a 16/44.1 file. The way to correct is to then hit STOP and then play the 16/44.1 file again. It never happens when I go from a 16/44.1 file to either a 24/96 or DSF file.

7. It happens with any file based on the steps and formats noted in #6.

Let me know if you would like other information, this happens consistently. It does not occur when I use other third party music software.
Mac Mini (16Gb memory, 2.3GHz i7, SSD), Synology NAS, MSB Analog DAC, Tubes, Cables, DeVore O/96s

JohnT

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 03:29:15 pm »

Thanks for the detailed reports guys.  We've also been able to reproduce the issue when going from high to low sample rates.  With the results from your posts and our internal testing we can hopefully get a fix next week.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 03:48:36 pm »

As a workaround, you should be able to use MC's DSP Studio / Output Settings to upsample everything. 

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 04:43:22 pm »

Thanks so much John and Jim! This is the one item in particular that has driven me crazy.

Barr
Mac Mini (16Gb memory, 2.3GHz i7, SSD), Synology NAS, MSB Analog DAC, Tubes, Cables, DeVore O/96s

delamostre

• Recent member

JohnT

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 01:06:32 pm »

Posted by czapp in build 197 thread:

Hi
Just downloaded 18.0.197
I still have a problem going from a DSD file to a smaller (44.1) file. The sound stutters, and the app needs to be restarted to get things corrected.Also, when this happens, I have a hard time getting JRemote to connect to my MacMini. No problem going from 44.1 to DSD.
Using MacMini running Mountain Lion, to Playback Designs DAC/Player.
Is this a known problem, or is something wrong in my settings?

adamt

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 01:14:05 pm »

One thing to try is to change your buffer size [ Options-> Audio Output-> Output mode settings... -> Buffer Size ] to "Hardware Default".  Make sure to restart the program after doing this.  It seems to eliminate some forms of stuttering.
Adam Thompson, JRiver

scottlf

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 03:08:17 pm »

I changed the buffer to Hardware Default and restarted, then ran two tests:

AIFF 96 kHz/24 bit to ALAC 44.1 kHz/16 -- no stuttering or clicking; I let it go for over 10 minutes and no problems.

FLAC 96 kHz/24 to FLAC 44.1 kHz/16 -- also no stuttering or clicking, even after over 7 minutes.

So without question the changing of the buffer helped.

adamt

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 03:31:48 pm »

Thanks for the feedback!  Which buffer size had you been using?  Does another one work as well?
Adam Thompson, JRiver

scottlf

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 07:47:05 pm »

I was using the Maximum (Power of Two) buffer before.

I tried doing some tests with the "Maximum" buffer setting -- and found that I got stutters and clicks immediately, even without changing bit rates at all. First an 88.2 kHz/24 FLAC file (this was *after* having a 44.1 kHz/16) the stutter was immediately.

96 kHz/24, AIFF: immediate stutter.

44.1 kHz/16, FLAC: immediate stutter.

Changing the buffer back to Hardware Default, no stutters.

adamt

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 09:08:33 am »

Thanks again for your help.  We'll change the default to "Hardware Default".
Adam Thompson, JRiver

czapp

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2013, 02:30:14 pm »

Worked perfectly. Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up