INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Building new server Lime Tech AVS-10/4 ?  (Read 3815 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Building new server Lime Tech AVS-10/4 ?
« on: June 15, 2013, 12:40:40 pm »

Does anyone have thoughts on this type of NAS server?

http://lime-technology.com/avs-104-server/

As some of you may know, I currently have two custom built RAID6 servers with total usable capacities of 28.5 and 30.5 terabytes.  I'm ready for a smaller case, MUCH quieter case, much better power efficiency (I hate that all 16 or 24 drives are running 24/7), and I'm prepared to start seeing more drive failures now that the systems are 3-4 years old.  They have been very reliable with just a few drive replacements here and there.

This uses unRAID.  Thoughts on this?  Are there other solutions that are great?  I'm looking for the most flexibility, next generation options that are available.  I also would rather buy this all ready to go (like the link) rather than buying all the pieces.  I'm past my hobby phase with tech, I just want things easier and to work reliably.  I love the USB flash drive running the system.

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Re: Building new server Lime Tech AVS-10/4 ?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 05:05:33 pm »

I realize this is a very new product.  I'm not aware of other similar products--a large enclosure with 10-14 drives (many are much smaller) that is geared for intelligent low power usage, quiet operation, etc.  I ordered this plus five 4TB hard drives.  I am excited for a few reasons:

1. Longevity - my current servers are 3 and 4 years old, replacing 3 year old
2. Power - I calculated this server to require 1/3 as much power as my current system
3. Space - it is half the volume at nearly the same drive count capacity
4. Quieter/Less Heat - will be much less invasive as it is much quieter and produces much less heat (due to less energy consumption)
5. Expandable - adds new drives of any capacity easily and on-the-fly
6. Dedicated - standalone system with simple USB thumb drive based operating system, no endless software updates and complex login mechanisms

Unfortunately, it is backordered.  Hopefully it shows up soon, I want to add the drives and copy all my data over.  Then, I have to figure out what I will do with the old server.  Is it feasible to sell server a chassis online?  Thankfully I'm in LA so I might be able to find a buyer.  I really could use the smaller footprint and quieter operation than my current system offers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up