INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto Import question  (Read 3512 times)

rodjoseph

Auto Import question
« on: June 17, 2013, 04:30:48 am »

Please be gentle, Iam new here and this question has probably been answered elsewhere many times but here goes.

I am an old coot who has collected a huge amount (nearly 2 hundred gigs) of oldies music. They are stored on a devoted . 500gb external hard drive. I have retained the original LP/Cd format and standardised the contents using MP3tag to my requirements. Each Artist has a folder containing all his LPs. Each 'album' has the track name, track performer, album artist (e.g. 'Various Artists') album name and cover art'
I want to simply catalog CHOSEN folders (some have not been converted to the required format) and then monitor these folders, making corrections and adjustments automatically if and when I change something.
What I have been doing is Tools/Import/Auto Import/Media Import/Add/Browse/Computer/My Passport (Q)/Folder (scrolling down dozens that have already been done) then doing it all over again to enter the next folder eventually clicking 'Finish'. Then back for more of the same. It seems to work well doing it like that BUT there must be some way of returning to a default (or previous) location and then picking several folders instead of doing so one at a time? Does pressing 'Auto-Import now' using your last settings then monitor the folders entered?
I have no need for playlists and conversions to Ipads and the like etc, I just want a straight database - a big Jukebox which will play a selected track with a double click...which is what the program is doing BUT that data entry is horrible!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Auto Import question
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 06:57:39 am »

Welcome to the forum. 

You can select a few folders to import and you can also select a few to exclude.  Exclude is one of the options when you add a new folder.

Example:
You have 5 folders you want and one you don't.

Q:\Music\Yes1
Q:\Music\Yes2
Q:\Music\Yes5
and
Q:\Music\No

Just import Q:\Music.  By default, all children (Yes men) will be imported.
But add Q:\Music\No as an Exclude.

You can use the Edit function in Auto Import to change settings if necessary.

Welcome to the forum.

rodjoseph

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 02:20:01 am »

Thanks for the quick reply, JimH...
Been away and Internet problems on return have prevented quicker response - sorry.

I don't seem to fully grasp your method but I don't think it is what I am after...I simply want to add several folders at a time to the database as possible in for example MusicBee.
I have lots of music albums saved on an external hard drive (called drive Q)  in individual folders by the artist like:-

ARTHUR LYMAN - 6 albums as subfolders
ASLEEP AT TH WHEEL - 8 albums as subfolders
BILL COSBY - 4 albums
BILL Justis - 2 albums
BILLY BLAND - 1 album
BILLY GRAMMER - 1 album
BO DIDDLEY - 15 albums
BOB WILLS - 21 albums
BOBBY BORIS PICKETT - 1 album
etc etc
just over 200 gigabytes of them!!!

I have 'imported' the folders individually by EACH ARTIST which works fine BUT is tedious in the extreme as you can imagine. MusicBee also has a clear option to monitor any added folders for changes etc which is another feature I like because even now I add new albums to existing artists and/or modify them on occasion....

BUT - I prefer MediaJukebox!!

hope this long winded post didn't bore you,
                                                 Regards,
                                                        Rod.

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 06:53:46 am »

EDIT: Sorry about that! once again I didn't check the forum you were using Media Jukebox and not Media Center. That's the second time this week, oops :-[. Heven't use Jukebox for years, it's probably similar but don't want to confuse posting stuff that's not the same menus etc.  ... let me know when you buy MC  ;)

Hi Rod,

Maybe you haven't totally understood the very neat import options you can do here? Some are not obvious, though, I admit.

What you want, JRiver can do, no worries!  :) I will post screen shots later today how to go about configuing, unless someone answers you first to show you how and some options (I'm in France so bear in mind the time zone). I'll post a screen grab that illustrates exclusions too, like Jim was talking about -- you might not even have to do that.

Once you set a couple of features up, I guarantee you will prefer MC to MediaJukebox.
Pages: [1]   Go Up