INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multichannel over HDMI: "could not be started on WASAPI using '96kHz 24 bit 6ch'  (Read 11728 times)

JJJ

• Junior Woodchuck

I'm having trouble with this. (Also with Zoneswitch to manage output paths for stereo versus multichannel but I think the below is the root of this problem.) I have a Theta Digital Casablanca III HD connected by HDMI.  In JRiver, I am using WASAPI, with the Device set to default (I don't see anything resembling the Theta CB listed under devices). (Disable event style makes no difference.)  The CB III HD can handle multi-channel audio over HDMI from a wide range of sources.  However, if I try to play a 5.1 ripped DVD-A disc that I own (with the audio tracks converted to ALAC) I get the following message:

Something went wrong with playback.

Details:
Playback could not be started on the output WASAPI using the format '96kHz 24 bit 6ch'.

The mixing format of your hardware does not support the current output format.

Please use the 'Output Format' tool in DSP Studio to convert to the mixing format listed below:
Sample Rate 48000Hz
Channels 2
Bits per sample: 32

Why is it recommending a conversion to 48kHz, 2 channel and 32 bits?

bulldogger

• World Citizen

The CB III HD can handle multi-channel audio over HDMI from a wide range of sources.  However, if I try to play a 5.1 ripped DVD-A disc that I own (with the audio tracks converted to ALAC) I get the following message:

Why is it recommending a conversion to 48kHz, 2 channel and 32 bits?
It's a hardware issue with your PC. Cheapest solution is to buy something like a Radeon HD7750 GPU http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/7000/7750/Pages/radeon-7750.aspx  and use it for the HDMI output. It will give you all of the sample rates like 24-176.4 for SACD. Not all hardware supports all sampling rates. I believe the one you have is only capable of 48khz-2 channel. Theta's going to support high resolution in the next upgrade so you'll want a sound card or sound from GPU capable of 24/88 and 24/176 for SACD.

JJJ

• Junior Woodchuck

Hmm. Thanks BD. I need to check the spec of my current mobo (my final build will use a different one but I'm waiting for Haswell).  It is meant to handle high res HDMI.

JJJ

• Junior Woodchuck

This is my current motherboard which would appear to support high definition multi-channel audio.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/desktop-board-dh61ag.html

JJJ

• Junior Woodchuck

Still stuck with this.

When I look in Control Panel -> Sound -> Playback I see a number of options. There's a few that relate to my Juli@ card, others that relate to RealTek and then HSRS which is Intel Display Audio. For each, when you double-click on them you can see the "Jack Information".  Only HSRS has a jack related to the HDMI port "HDMI Digital Jack".  The RealTek ones are linked to ATAPI Internal Jack, Front Panel 3.5mm Jack, Rear Panel Optical Jack.  The problem with HSR5 is that while it supports a lot of bit depths, sample rates and formats, it is limited to 2 channels and the encoded formats it supports are all related to DTS and Dolby Digital. When I play a stereo track via WASAPI to HSRS, JRiver will play the tracks.  

When I look at the specs of my mobo, I see "10-channel (7.1+ 2 independent multi-streaming) audio subsystem using the Realtek ALC892* audio codec". What I don't understand is why I can't get a Realtek option that uses the HDMI port.

Anyone have any ideas?  

UPDATE:  I even have problems with stereo tracks with HSR5. Playback was working and then sound cut out (the track was still playing in JRiver).  I could not get sound to restart despite JRiver playing the tracks ok.

shAf

• Citizen of the Universe

I believe Realtek is associated only with the "other" audio outputs (eg, SPDIF). I believe you'll find that the onboard Intel graphics chipset (and its drivers) are associated with audio over HDMI. What audio devices is Windows showing you?  If the appropriate Intel HD audio driver is installed you should see a HDMI audio device, which should also be an option for MC.

HTH :)
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

JJJ

• Junior Woodchuck

As noted below the only listed device that has a jack association of HDMI is "HSRS Intel Display Audio".  (All other devices are associated either with the Juli@ card or ATAPI Internal Jack, Front Panel 3.5mm Jack, Rear Panel Optical Jack.)

This page http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/desktop-board-dh61ag.html lists the spec of the motherboard. It includes:

"Intel® High Definition Audio (Intel® HD Audio) subsystem in the following configuration:
10-channel (7.1+ 2 independent multi-streaming) audio subsystem using the Realtek ALC892* audio codec
Internal S/PDIF header and front panel audio header"

There is a link to http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/standards/standards-high-def-audio-specs-general-technology.html which includes:

"The Intel® High Definition Audio Specification describes an architecture and infrastructure to support high-quality audio implementations for PCs. The specification defines the register-level interface, physical link characteristics, and codec programming model, as well as codec architectural components. This specification is intended for hardware component designers, system builders, and device driver (software) developers. Implementation of the Intel® High Definition Audio Specification requires a license from Intel."

and this page contains the specs http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/standards/high-definition-audio-specification.html

The only multichannel connectivity on the board is the HDMI port.

I would find it a bit surreal if the advertised specs of the board include 10 channel audio but that this isn't implemented for the only multichannel connectivuty on the motherboard.   Am I missing something?

JJJ

• Junior Woodchuck

Here is a review of the board http://www.missingremote.com/review/intel-dh61ag-media-series-mini-itx-motherboard-and-core-i5-2390t which refers to "8-channel (7.1) Intel HD Audio via the HDMI interface".  In the section "Media Performance" I note that the reviewer sees a device which would appear to be his AV processor. My Theta Casablanca III HD does not appear as a device. (It is more than capable of handling the relevant channels, sample rates and bit depths.)

I note the following comment in the review "The Intel Core i5-2390T’s audio capabilities were consistent with the other SNB systems tested--which means full support for multi-channel LPCM and HD audio bit streaming, but continues to exhibit the issue with decoded content over HDMI where six channel files played on a 7.1 configuration improperly map left/right surround audio to the left/right rear surrounds instead of the correct left/right side speakers."  

Audio capabilities depend on the processor?

JJJ

• Junior Woodchuck

Everything I have read says that there should be a sound device called RealTek HDMI Output.  But there isn't.  I have reinstalled the RealTek audio drivers/codecs from here http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false more times than I care to remember.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

In the section "Media Performance" I note that the reviewer sees a device which would appear to be his AV processor. My Theta Casablanca III HD does not appear as a device.
Did the device come with a driver?

JimH

• Administrator

I have reinstalled the RealTek audio drivers/codecs from here http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false more times than I care to remember.
There may be more than one driver available.  Motherboards come with their own, for example.

JJJ

• Junior Woodchuck

No the Theta Casablanca does not come with drivers.  It is a piece of high-end audio equipment and is not used to being connected to a computer.

What really puzzles me is why I don't see "RealTek HDMI Output" in the driver list.  This is from Microsoft's help:

Method 1: Download and install the latest audio drivers from the manufacturer’s website

Method 2: Enabling the Audio Settings for a TV by activating HDMI sound and adjusting your Windows settings

Step 1: Right-click the Volume icon by the time in the lower-right corner.
Step 2: Click Playback Devices.
The Sound window opens.
Step 3: On the Playback tab, click Digital Output Device (HDMI) if it is listed. If it is not listed, click Realtek HDMI Output.
Device (HDMI) selection
Step 4:  Click Set Default and choose Apply.
> If you used Digital Output Device (HDMI), click OK to close the window. This completes the steps to activate HDMI sound.
>If you used Realtek HDMI Output, continue with Step 5.
Step 5: Double-click Realtek HDMI Output.
The Realtek Digital Output Properties window opens.
Step 6: Click the Supported Formats tab.
Step 7: Place a check in the 48.0 KHz check box, and make sure that there are no checks in the Dolby Digital check box and all other check boxes.

NOTE: For most TVs to play back audio, the sample rate must be 48.0 KHz.

Click OK to close the window.

JJJ

• Junior Woodchuck

There may be more than one driver available.  Motherboards come with their own, for example.

There is only one Windows 7 64 bit driver. There is an ATI HDMI Audio Device driver but to the best of my knowledge this is applicable to an ATI sound card which, AFAIK, I don't have (unless it is embedded on the board).

JimH

• Administrator

bulldogger

• World Citizen

Try Renethx over at AVS. If he can't answer, then I don't know of anyone that can. http://www.avsforum.com/t/940972/guide-to-building-a-htpc-workstation-and-server

bulldogger

• World Citizen

Everything I have read says that there should be a sound device called RealTek HDMI Output.  But there isn't.  I have reinstalled the RealTek audio drivers/codecs from here http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false more times than I care to remember.
Exactly. I also have  Realtek HD Audio Manager

JJJ

• Junior Woodchuck

Hi BD. Yes I have that in Control Panel also. It allows one to implement various effects for the available devices - in my case only for 2-channels. But all the Realtek options in Sound (right click on the volume button and select Playback Options) relate to jacks other than HDMI.  There should be a device called Realtek HDMI Output.  It seems to be a popular problem but be damned if any of the proposed solutions have worked for me. I did have a device called Intel HSR5 Display Audio. This was connected to the HDMI jack but was restricted to 2 channels. I could not see how to change the number of channels.  I could play stereo tracks over HDMI with this. However, I disabled this to see if it was "obstructing" Realtek access to the HDMI jack.  No joy. (And I can't figure out how to re-enable it!) This is driving me nuts.

JJJ

• Junior Woodchuck

BD you (and possibly others) may find this useful.  I contacted the reviewer I referred to above.  Very kindly, Andrew responded straight away and this is what he said:

"Realtek has nothing to do with the HDMI audio on this board. You don't even need to install the drivers unless you plan to use the line-outs (I don't).

First, make sure that you have the latest GPU (the HDMI audio drivers are included in it) and the Management Engine (MEI) drivers installed.

Second, open the audio control panel and "Configure" the device to match your speaker setup.

Third, HDMI is driven off of the EDID so most likely this is the problem (assuming that you already had step 1 completed). Troubleshooting EDID issues can be problematic, but there are tools for the PC and CI market that make it possible. Personally I use a HDMI Detective to ensure that the the EDID is always broadcast to the PC (this keeps the TV's EDID from resetting the audio config on the PC). If the AVR isn't presenting its capabilities properly, using an HDMI Detective will fix it."

I will check his points 1 and 2 but I've also sent a note to John at Theta.

bulldogger

• World Citizen

BD you (and possibly others) may find this useful.  I contacted the reviewer I referred to above.  Very kindly, Andrew responded straight away and this is what he said:

"Realtek has nothing to do with the HDMI audio on this board. You don't even need to install the drivers unless you plan to use the line-outs (I don't).

First, make sure that you have the latest GPU (the HDMI audio drivers are included in it) and the Management Engine (MEI) drivers installed.

Second, open the audio control panel and "Configure" the device to match your speaker setup.

Third, HDMI is driven off of the EDID so most likely this is the problem (assuming that you already had step 1 completed). Troubleshooting EDID issues can be problematic, but there are tools for the PC and CI market that make it possible. Personally I use a HDMI Detective to ensure that the the EDID is always broadcast to the PC (this keeps the TV's EDID from resetting the audio config on the PC). If the AVR isn't presenting its capabilities properly, using an HDMI Detective will fix it."

I will check his points 1 and 2 but I've also sent a note to John at Theta.
I was not successful when I tried. I hoped you might have success. During my experimentation, a long, 35 foot HDMI cable damaged the HDMI output, from it's weight, of my PC. It was a blessing in disguise. After that I purchased a Radeon 7750. The AMD GPU works flawlessly and supports a wider variety of sample rates. It does show the audio device to which it's connected for the most part but not with Theta. I don't think this is really a "Theta" problem but they should be notified as many will be using HTPCs. My Casablanca is non-HD and the devices I am trying with the same results as yourself are all non-Theta but have HDMI. The AMD Radeon GPU works fine with the Casablanca HD for all popular sampling rates with the two people I have gotten to try it.

JJJ

• Junior Woodchuck

My PCIe slot is occupied by my Juli@ XTe

macdonjh

Reopening this old thread: I also have a Theta Casablanca IIIHD and am having trouble with my new Windows 10 media computer.  I have my computer connected to my CBIII via HDMI.  I can get video to both my computer monitor as well as my TV.  However, I do not get any audio at the TV.  The details I have so far:

Computer: Dell Inspiron
GPU: Iris Gen 11 (I don't know what driver I currently have)
Windows 10
MC28

I'd appreciate any ideas anyone has.
Pages: [1]   Go Up