INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My HTPC HDD quit  (Read 1175 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
My HTPC HDD quit
« on: June 19, 2013, 06:30:47 pm »

My HTPC hard drive stopped working.  I noticed I couldn't connect via Library Server and then inspected the system, yup, no more booting.  Since the system is 3 years old and was never adequate, even when I bought it, I want to try something else.

I am thinking my 2-year old MacBook Pro.  I already have hooked it up to my TV and stereo, no problems there.  Should I install Windows on it?  I want to see if I can use the license from this system I bought.  I'm sure the recovery data was on the hard drive, but maybe I can download the OS and enter my license number.  Of course I'll have to clear my Mac, replace it with a new laptop.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: My HTPC HDD quit
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 06:22:01 am »

Almost certainly not.

PCs are sold with OEM licenses which are non-transferable.  They are tied to the motherboard on which they were originally sold (usually not technically, but it won't accept the license key for a fresh install and if you move the hard drive it'll fail activation and you'll have to call to activate).

If you bought the copy of Windows yourself (in which case, you'd have a disc) then you could do it.  But otherwise, you'd have to buy a copy of Windows for the Macbook.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up