INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bitstreaming DD and DTS from Blu-Ray over spdif with Asus HDAV 1.3 Deluxe  (Read 2480 times)

mainaman

• Recent member

I can't use the analogue outs at the moment,so i am trying to just bitstream the  compressed tracks over spdif.I tried different combinations of default playback device in Windows and JRiver audio output mode and Speakers(Windows) and spdif passthrough Asus HDAV 1.3 Wasapi(output) and spdif bitstream in JRiver seem to output the core from the DTSMA,but the audio path shows only two channels!I can hear all channel working correctly(voices from the center,etc.),why is it showing two channels?I thought the stream in the display options was the only one showing wrong info:just dts,when playing uncompreesed MA.

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Bitstreaming DD and DTS from Blu-Ray over spdif with Asus HDAV 1.3 Deluxe
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 03:23:22 pm »

This is correct. DD/DTS are data (not audio signals like pro-logic) encoded in a stereo signal which is then decoded to multichannel in the receiver.

mainaman

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 09:27:59 pm »

Thanks.Can i get DD from TrueHD tracks,it's just noise.DD 640 tracks play fine,but my TrueHD discs usually have only the HR track.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 09:43:33 pm »

S/PDIF does not support either TrueHD or DTS-HD MA.  You should be OK with DTS/DD.  As you have found, TrueHD does not always have an AC3 Core (though DTS-HD does have a DTS Core).  Could you not use MC to decode and then encode as AC3?

http://en.wikipedia.org/?title=S/PDIF

S/PDIF can carry two channels of uncompressed PCM audio or compressed 5.1/7.1 surround sound (such as DTS audio codec) with a maximum bandwidth of 3.072 Mbit/s per channel for a total of 6144 kbit/s; it cannot support uncompressed lossless formats (such as Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio) which require greater bandwidth like that available with HDMI or DisplayPort.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 09:50:17 pm »

Here is a pic from DSP.  I've never tried it myself....  ;D
JRiver CEO Elect

mainaman

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 11:35:20 pm »

Thanks,it worked and i get both DD and DTS now.Too bad i can't get lossless now,but after a grief(long story) over the analogue outs from a top of the range Blu-Ray player(Denon 3800 BDCI),soundcard(Asus HDAV 1.3) and motherboard(Asus Formula Z) i prefer to go lossy(Yamaha DSP-Z9 optical) for a while and enjoy all channels working,no drops,undiminished dynamic range and the LFE to get out of bed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up