INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't get MC18 to show forced subtitles  (Read 2298 times)

jkauff

• World Citizen
Can't get MC18 to show forced subtitles
« on: June 28, 2013, 08:59:09 pm »

I'm trying to play the Blu-ray of A Bridge Too Far. MC should be showing only forced subtitles (for the Dutch and German language parts of the movie), but no matter what combination of settings I've tried, it doesn't work. MC displays either no subtitles, or subtitles for the English dialog as well. PowerDVD correctly identifies the forced flags in the stream and only displays subtitles when the stream language is not English.

What are the correct settings for displaying only forced subtitles?

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Can't get MC18 to show forced subtitles
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 10:17:22 pm »

Unfortunately, this is a limitation of LAV Filters, which Media Center uses.
Unless the disc actually has the foreign subtitles burned in, or has a subtitle track which only has subtitles for the non-English parts, I think you're out of luck.
Recently I have been finding that most discs have included an English track for the non-English dialog only. (or perhaps LAV is improving at this?)

You either need to leave all subtitles enabled, or find subtitles to download online (often in the SRT format) for the correct version of the film you have - unfortunately Media Center is not currently able convert timestamps between a 24p and 25p version of a film for example. (I have run into this issue with some European releases)

jkauff

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 02:07:28 am »

That explains why my other players, which also use LAV, don't work either. Thanks for the help.

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 02:36:03 am »

You can manually select the forced subtitle track and MC will remember to use it next time.  The trick on these disks (where the forced subtitle is not a flagged track) is to work out which one it is.  I have found that they tend to be a the bottom of the list of the available subtitles.
JRiver CEO Elect

polemides

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 10:34:27 am »

I'm trying to play the Blu-ray of A Bridge Too Far. MC should be showing only forced subtitles (for the Dutch and German language parts of the movie), but no matter what combination of settings I've tried, it doesn't work. MC displays either no subtitles, or subtitles for the English dialog as well. PowerDVD correctly identifies the forced flags in the stream and only displays subtitles when the stream language is not English.

What are the correct settings for displaying only forced subtitles?

I got that disc to work properly, but not without some trouble.  First make sure you've ripped out subtitle track #3, according to the spreadsheet over at AVS.  Let me know if you have any luck with that, and I should be able to talk you through the rest.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1176923/movies-with-forced-subtitles

jkauff

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 05:16:52 pm »

Turns out that this disc does not use forced subs. If LAV is looking for forced subs, it of course doesn't find any. The second eng sub stream is the one with the subs for only the Dutch and German dialog in the film. I ended up creating an MKV file with only that stream, set the splitter settings correctly, and everything works fine. PowerDVD apparently reads the BD menu to determine which stream to use, so nothing has to be set or selected.

polemides

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 11:26:46 am »

Some discs (i.e. The Avengers) use the BD Menu language selection to determine which track to activate for the "forced" subs, even though none of them are actually flagged as forced.  Sounds like your MKV solution worked fine.  I have been able to get discs like these to work, for BD folder structure.  Usually it involves stripping the track individually, feeding it into BDSup2Sub, and then flagging the track as forced before remuxing.  A little bit of extra labor is involved, but it works.

jkauff

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 07:44:04 pm »

After all that trouble, I didn't particularly like the movie.  >:(

polemides

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 08:48:34 pm »

It's long! However, you'll need to pull out a "separate" type subtitle track again someday...I've noticed over at AVS that they're becoming more and more common. So at least you know how.
Pages: [1]   Go Up