INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any ideas how to manage charts?  (Read 1170 times)

DrKNo

• World Citizen
Any ideas how to manage charts?
« on: July 01, 2013, 04:27:02 am »

Hi Folks,

I'm a recent Media Center convertee and could hardly be happier about the Software. One thing it forces me to do (and which I appreciate) is to give rules for automatic file naming and sorting - and that are actually powerful enough to represent a complicated structure.

I got Albums, Compilations and single Tracks covered. The Thing is: I am a DJ and I have a definite use case for charts. I have two types of charts right now: Top-1s of a year and country and Top three of a country over several years. The former can easily be represented via an album - the latter not so as they contain distinct dates and repeat the track numbers 1, 2 and 3 (1970 - #1; 1970 - #2, 1970 - #3, 1971 - #1 ... )

I am about to muck around with new fields, but seeing as I'm pretty new, I hope someone did already come up with a clever solution that they are willing to share. Looking forward to hearing your ideas!

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Any ideas how to manage charts?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 06:11:53 am »

There are a lot of ways to do this. Let me see what you really want to do first ....

• do you want a a "playlist" (smartlist) auto-generated or a "View" or both?
  • do the list/view criteria evolve? eg. track Bilboard for 2013 before end-year -- if so any other criteria, by genre, by sales, streaming plays etc.
  • is "Country" the only primary filter for these lists - like you won't need #1 UK and #1 Europe?
  • in your second list or view, did you want to see some thing like .... Hits no; 1 through 10 for each year for Brazil (Country by date) in the '90's or yearly ranking by all counties by period (eg year by countries) ?

I probably would use the field called "Popularity" that exists already where you can stick your ranks in. Then  create a db field, like "YearRank or MonthRank". You can also make sort of viww which could be sorted at a given time, select the tracks and right click to create a playlist on the fly ... ; you could also sub-divide this up using something like genre easy enough. From there I would have a view by all Countries, subdivided by year. Export to playlist if needed or permanent auto-smartlists (one for each Country?)

To have evolving ranking I would add another field like "RankInputDate". This is more complicated would involve some "advanced expressions", but definately do-able. Not sure I have the time this week for that though sorry - someone else I'm sure will jump in if that is the case.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 11:42:40 am »

Can you show some actual examples of your data, and examples of how you'd like to see it presented and used?

Also, see this thread.  User vagskal is the master in chart data:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=76611.0
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

DrKNo

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 03:44:06 am »

I see i was unclear about what I needed - but all relevant Info was in the ideas and links you provided. Thanks a lot!

I'll probably go with the Popularity field + a calculated field that uses [year] #[Popularity].

DrKNo

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 06:44:50 am »

A little Update:

After some mucking-about I decided that I asked the wrong question. In the end, the problem was that I did not have a seperate [Album Date] Field next to the Date field.

So now I created a relational field (per Album) [Album Date], and use that for compilations. Works well for charts as well, I just use "1965-2000" or something like that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up