INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Home network devices list (DHCP reservations and bookmarks)  (Read 2002 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA

Does anyone have a solution for a home network with a growing list of devices that need not only a reserved DHCP lease, but also a way to keep all the devices readily accessible?  I was thinking it would be nice to have some sort of homepage that lists all my devices with links to launch them.  Devices I currently have:

1. new NAS with web console
2. Skype to landline adapter
3. security camera (sometimes on)
4. color laser printer
5. television (not sure if it has a console, probably not)
6. receiver
7. Media Center of course!

I'm using the Airport Extreme, which is a great router, but I'm disappointed at how complicated it is to find MAC addresses and assign reserved DHCP leases.  Furthermore, I would like some sort of landing page that lists all of these devices so I can easily go to it to access any page of interest.  This would be helpful both inside my LAN and outside, via the WAN.  Upnp seems like it could help, but not necessarily solve this problem entirely.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Home network devices list (DHCP reservations and bookmarks)
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 03:43:19 am »

Simple solution...  Create a basic HTML page with links to your LAN and WAN addresses.  Store it in the cloud like Dropbox, and then it will be available on all your systems, regardless of browser.

If you want to access your LAN remotely, it will be more secure to tunnel via SSH or a VPN.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up