INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Display TV Shows in Theatre View in the same way as Movies  (Read 2264 times)

cgroth

• World Citizen
Display TV Shows in Theatre View in the same way as Movies
« on: July 09, 2013, 10:19:27 am »

Hi,

in Theatre View, Movies can be displayed by Name or by Grid (along with other options.) I love the fluid 3D type view of viewing by Name. However, for TV Shows it seems the only option is to view in a Grid style? Am I missing something, or is this how it is? Would love the non-Grid style, whatever it is called.

Best
Chris

cgroth

• World Citizen
Re: Display TV Shows in Theatre View in the same way as Movies
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 03:19:17 pm »

Sorry, found the answer myself! My poor English meant I didn't understand the Toggle, in Toggle List Style as a verb, so I pressed it once, didn't like the first style, but didn't realize pressingit again would give me a new resullt... Very happy now! :-)

cgroth

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 03:28:14 pm »

New question: how can the text description for the series numbers be extended to read "Series X" rather than just X in this view  (see attached screen grab):

Chris

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 03:57:59 pm »

Edit the TV Show template (like we did the other day).  Change:

Delimit(TVInfo(SeasonEpisode))

to

Delimit(TVInfo(SeasonEpisode),, XXX/ )

where XXX is the string you want as the prefix (I think you meant Season or Disc #, not Series).  But I don't recall how your template is now configured.

The Delimit() function formats a string, adding a head and tail, if the string is not empty.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

cgroth

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 04:06:38 am »

Delimit(TVInfo(SeasonEpisode),, XXX/ )

You are right of course, the correct text should be Season (not Series). However, when changed the text in the template (from just "[Name]") what happened was that I lost my name Disc X on the individual discs within the season, but the name of the season simply remained 4 or 5, not Season 5 or Season 5 like I wanted. The screen grab shows what I did (I did change the XXX to Season, nit certain if that is shown on the screen grab though..). I am sure I am doing something wrong, missing something, but I don't really know what. I had to change the original text to get rid of the check mark, so I might have messed up in that step?

BR
Chris

MrC

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 12:28:33 pm »

I thought we set up your caption to contain [Disc #], and started you down the path of filling those in for all your multi-disc series.  You were using Name for that, but that's not really the best usage.

cgroth

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 01:03:12 pm »

I thought we set up your caption to contain [Disc #], and started you down the path of filling those in for all your multi-disc series.  You were using Name for that, but that's not really the best usage.

I think you are right, but when I tried to implement the suggestion from someone on the forum on how to get rid of the check marks on some of my titles, I did something wrong and each disc would read something like "DISC 1 MadMen Season 2 Disc 1", so I had to revert to something simple, as I was afraid I'd cause more harm than good if I started experimenting. So I ended putting something safe there.

MrC

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 01:45:24 pm »

JRiver and users have worked very hard over the past couple of MC releases to get the captions to work correctly under a variety of situations.  You might find that Resetting the Templates to their default settings, and restarting your customizations from there to be beneficial.

In addition, use the Standard View maintenance view we started to create.  Add expression columns in the file list for various TVInfo() series values.  It provides much functionality and may help you understand what the caption expressions are doing.  Have file list columns for Name, Series, Season, Episode, Disc #, and a bunch of columns with various TVInfo() values, and finally, two using the default Caption for TV Shows (one you leave alone for comparison, one you modify to test with).  This way, you can experiment but setting up your values for Name, Series, etc. and watch live what happens in the expression columns.

The default TV Show caption looks like this, broken apart for readability with some pseudo-code added to help you read it, and the font settings marked in teal.  The Watched checkmarks are in red, and these you can delete if you don't want them.  So discover how the stuff in blue works, using the maintenance view above.

first output...

If([AllSameSeries],
then
    <font alpha="50">
    Delimit(TVInfo(SeasonEpisode))
    <//font>[Name]Delimit(Watched(2), , / ),
else
    TVInfo(NameDisplay)Delimit(Watched(2), , / ))
endif

and then output...

<font alpha="50">
    TVInfo(DateNoTime)
</font>

cgroth

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 02:48:39 pm »

Thanks MrC, this was very useful, particularly the pseudo code! As someone who learned how to program in the early 80s in BASIC, this cleared things up. Now, if we can just get out line numbers abck, I don't trust this obkect oriented stuff....

MrC

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 07:23:32 pm »

...I don't trust this obkect oriented stuff....

That's OK, because MC's expression language is a functional model, and you just might recall GOSUB.  :-)

cgroth

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 04:35:14 am »

In addition, use the Standard View maintenance view we started to create. 

MrC, this view disappeared again when I restarted next morning, even though I saw you save it! Same behaviour I experienced the day before. I have however been able to make my own version of the Genre, year and rating view which works well. I will experiment more with this. I like what you say about having two columns with the same fields, one for experimenting and I guess the other for undo purposes?

Chris
Pages: [1]   Go Up