INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrading to JRiver Media Center 19  (Read 85877 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Upgrading to JRiver Media Center 19
« on: July 12, 2013, 12:14:19 pm »

flyfish2002

• Recent member
Re: Upgrading to MC19 -- Questions or Comments? -- Post here
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 01:23:31 pm »

I am still on 17.  Can I buy an upgrade to 19 without any issues having skipped 18?

Thanks.

JohnT

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 01:28:59 pm »

I am still on 17.  Can I buy an upgrade to 19 without any issues having skipped 18?

Thanks.
Yes, you can upgrade directly from 17.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

emovac

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 01:37:19 pm »

What are the feature upgrades from MC18.  If they are video based, they won't be necessary for my setup.  Any changes to GIZMO, DLNA, or audio streaming features.

Thanks.

sipo75

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 01:41:45 pm »

So I have purchased the upgrade to MC19 and received my registration code.

Will I have to put it in my current MC18 installation or wait for the release of MC19?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 01:42:58 pm »

It's too early to say exactly what features will be included.  MC18 had improvements in both Gizmo and DLNA.  I would expect more of the same.  If you're not sure, just wait until you see something that you like.  

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 01:44:00 pm »

So I have purchased the upgrade to MC19 and received my registration code.

Will I have to put it in my current MC18 installation or wait for the release of MC19?
If you have previously licensed MC18, there is nothing to do until MC19 is available.  If not, then use the MC19 license with MC18.  It works with both.

pieeyed

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 01:53:46 pm »

Hi Jim. I purchased MC19 from a different computer than where my MC18 is installed. When MC19 comes out will it automatically update to the new MC19?

emovac

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 01:54:29 pm »

It's too early to say exactly what features will be included.  MC18 had improvements in both Gizmo and DLNA.  I would expect more of the same.  If you're not sure, just wait until you see something that you like.  

How about a hint?  Any NEW features?  I'd love to give you some money. ;D

Urbanito

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 02:48:19 pm »

Jim:
I just bought the upgrade license and am still waiting for your visit to Portugal.
Kind regards,

Joao

Dieter

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 02:54:19 pm »

If you plan to release the upgrade in a month, that means you have probably locked in the feature set of the upgrade. You should be able to tell us who are pre-ordering what we are paying for. This is not good marketing. You have not told us the benefits of paying for the upgrade. My apologies, my mind-reading abilities are not what they used to be.

1. Provide a list of a locked-in feature set of the upgrade.
2. Provide a link to the list so customers can make a decision to buy the upgrade or pass.
Dieter Murphy

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 02:57:14 pm »

If you plan to release the upgrade in a month, that means you have probably locked in the feature set of the upgrade. You should be able to tell us who are pre-ordering what we are paying for. This is not good marketing. You have not told us the benefits of paying for the upgrade. My apologies, my mind-reading abilities are not what they used to be.

1. Provide a list of a locked-in feature set of the upgrade.
2. Provide a link to the list so customers can make a decision to buy the upgrade or pass.

We work on each version for about a year.  MC19 is just starting, and we don't have a locked-in feature set.  Sorry.

We offer a discount for pre-ordering, but if you're not comfortable with that, just wait and see.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

locust

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2013, 03:21:29 pm »

Just bought mine  ;D

What's on the menu this year?? bratwurst again?

Looking forward to the new features whatever they are.

Shmoo17

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2013, 03:25:45 pm »

The purchase of MC18 didn't include MC19, just the updates for MC18?

Thank you in advance

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2013, 03:30:20 pm »

The purchase of MC18 didn't include MC19, just the updates for MC18?

Thank you in advance

You purchased an MC18 license about one year ago.  It is good for all MC18 builds, including the one that went out this morning.  

MC19 would be an (optional) upgrade.  If you do it now, you'll get the special pre-order price.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

hiind

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2013, 04:03:14 pm »

Purchased the JRiver 19 upgrade and clicked on the registration code and it stated that the registration was a success.However I have a previously registered jRiver18 already installed.Does it overwrite the old code and does this mean it will now upgrade to version 19 seamlessly or doI have to download 19 when it is released and re-enter the code?

locust

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2013, 04:13:31 pm »

Just read the email I got when I purchased "Just save the Install Key on a floppy disk" lol for such a bleeding edge program, the email is a bit dated. Does anybody actually use them anymore  ?

mikethorp

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2013, 04:17:11 pm »

I just purchase 18 about a month or so ago...had I known a newer version was just around the corner I might have waited for the latest edition...

landwaart

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2013, 04:50:39 pm »

Hi,

I just bought (2 hours ago) my first JRiver software after first trying out the version 18 for 5 days.
My proof of purchases says that I have bought version 19. It says

Thank you for your purchase of Media Center 19 Windows from JRiver, Inc. for $39.98.

Your Registration Code is 92UY0-....-....-....-....-.....
 This is your permanent proof of purchase. Print this e-mail now and keep it in a safe place.

How is the upgrade organised?

Regards,
Danny

MC19 releases will be available in a month or two.  

Purchase through the Help menu in MC19.  The price is currently $18.98.

If you have already purchased MC18, but would like to purchase an upgrade now, please see the instructions below.

To get the special upgrade price of $18.98 (normally $26.98), pre-order using this webpage:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Upgrade_to_MC19

Please post any questions in this thread.

Links
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Restoring_a_License

Bccc1

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2013, 05:00:33 pm »

I bought the upgrade 2 hours ago, but PayPal didn't redirect me back to your page. Now I've paid $18,98 USD and didn't get any confirmation e-mail. Is my purchase lost?
I can give you the PayPal transaction code and my registration code, but I guess it wouldn't be very clever to post it here.
What shall I do now?

samtheman57

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2013, 06:14:41 pm »

I got the e mail for the upgrade offer, filled in my registration code from MC18 and when I got to the payment page the price was $39.98. Any suggestions?  Thanks. ?

MK2013

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2013, 06:22:27 pm »

I upgraded and promptly got a error message - "Error restoring Media Center License: Unknown Error. 

samtheman57

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2013, 06:24:49 pm »

I got the e mail for the upgrade offer, filled in my registration code from MC18 and when I got to the payment page the price was $39.98. Any suggestions?  Thanks. ?

Never mind, I did the same thing last time, there was a period at the end of the numerical code because I copied  and pasted from an e mail...removing the period I got the correct price of 18.98.  ;D

Shivan

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2013, 06:51:40 pm »

The upgrade cost is reasonable, but I just purchased my license for v18 in January and less than a year later I need to upgrade? Doesn't seem quite right. You would think you could have updates for a year before needing to buy a new license. I am going to upgrade because I saw how quick 17 was dropped when 18 came out so you really want to upgrade, but it seems like upgrading in less than a year is not quite right. Just my opinion, I am happy with v18 but I definitely want too get updated features, even if you can't give a roadmap of what you plan on putting in 19.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2013, 06:56:44 pm »

What are the feature upgrades from MC18.  If they are video based, they won't be necessary for my setup. 

I hope MC19 is focused on improving the movie-video-TV playback/experience. I came over with/for the Red October announcement/integration (LAV and MadVR).
Well, whatever JRiver does with 19, it will be good.

kamenoff

• Recent member
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2013, 07:45:36 pm »

What are the new features of Media Center 19? I think is a good idea to know before we upgrade..
I hope that can provide support for BD menues!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2013, 08:40:12 pm »

What are the new features of Media Center 19? I think is a good idea to know before we upgrade..
I hope that can provide support for BD menues!
We have no list yet.

To answer CountryBumpkin's post, it is my opinion that we have a very good position in audio, but our position in video, HTPC, TV, and home networking is just outside the market's attention.  It's there that we need to focus this version.  Sonos and Airplay are nice, but MC has a lot more capability if we can polish and smooth the rough edges.

But this is now Matt's decision to make.  Send him your chicks, puppies, and kittens.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2013, 08:46:41 pm »

The upgrade cost is reasonable, but I just purchased my license for v18 in January and less than a year later I need to upgrade? Doesn't seem quite right. You would think you could have updates for a year before needing to buy a new license. I am going to upgrade because I saw how quick 17 was dropped when 18 came out so you really want to upgrade, but it seems like upgrading in less than a year is not quite right. Just my opinion, I am happy with v18 but I definitely want too get updated features, even if you can't give a roadmap of what you plan on putting in 19.
You don't need to upgrade.  MC18 is perfectly fine.  It also will probably be several more months before MC19 is a better overall experience than MC18.

OverTheAir

• Recent member
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2013, 09:38:34 pm »

A suggestion you might want to consider for next time in the quest to ever improve customer warm and fuzzy feelings (as an alternative to sending them baby chicks) :) 

Don't entice customers to purchase an "old" license (MC18) with a $5 discount, approx. 30 days (http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=80793.0) before offering a license for a new version (MC19).  As small as the difference is, it just rubs the wrong way to pay $44.98 (MC18 discount price) + $18.98 (MC19 discount upgrade price) = $63.96 to get a MC19 license that is $49.98 (list price) 30 days later if one didn't have a need to purchase and use MC at the time of the late May promotion and was encouraged to do so by a promotion. 

Just my 2c :)

dexterdom

• Recent member
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2013, 10:11:56 pm »

Wow, seems like a lot of folks are jumping through hoops to pay for this update without any hints as to what new features to expect...  ?

mramsden

• Recent member
MC19 feature requests ... Win 8 support please
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2013, 10:22:53 pm »

I'd like to see it easier to use on Tablet versions of Win8 (eg on a surface). Theater view works, but could use some tweaking ... and when you go back out to non theater view the menu items are pretty small to access (on a tablet with high res desktop) with a finger. Needs to have the full "Metro" front end.

It works beautifully on my Surface pro: out thru the new meridian Explorer to my Sennheiser headphones is great.

When I back out of theater view to do anything, I pretty well have to use a stylus on the desktop version. Would be nice to be able to access all the features via a metro front end.

vairulez

• World Citizen
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2013, 12:31:39 am »

Wow, seems like a lot of folks are jumping through hoops to pay for this update without any hints as to what new features to expect...  ?

that's because we want to support development. I for example bought a mc18 licence on day one but still use mc17 on my htpc.
HTPC : Dell workstation, windows 10, GT 1030, Lynx Two B
zone 1 : 2 Chevin Research Q6 + DIY speakers
zone 2 : Lake People G93 + HD650
zone 3 : 2 yamaha HS80M

jkauff

• World Citizen
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2013, 12:59:59 am »

Just bought the upgrade. Hope to see my #1 feature request implemented in MC19:

Store the .jpg and .xml files in a separate folder on the hard drive(s).  :-*

thezone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2013, 01:01:11 am »

Jeez you guys are wingers. Its $19 for petes sake. Bought mine. Thanks. Think of it as insurance for the future. $19 is a pittance compared to the thousands I have thrown at my HTPC.

maid

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2013, 01:20:27 am »

the guys do a lot of work on the workings of this program and help people sort out problems, tell me what store does this.
 I personally  think they deserve a medal.
Intel Core i5-4590 CPU,  Haswell Gen2,  LGA1150, 3.3GHz 6 DDR3/ 2x PCIE3.0 x16 16gb Ram Windows 10 64 bit Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX Motherboard Nvidia GForce gtx1080 Receiver Onkyo TX-NR925 TV LG LF6300 55" smart TV

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2013, 01:57:09 am »

Well said by maid and thezone. Some of us have been doing this for ten years or more, and J River haven't let us down yet...

though if you have a plasma and were waiting patiently for the image retention protection feature in theater view, you might argue with me ;)

Thing is though, there are other ways to prevent that, so it shouldn't be a deal breaker of any kind, and one day, it'll just get slipped in there on the QT...
They have a very unique way of doing things, it works, so more power to them.

-marko

stealer

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2013, 02:04:57 am »

I had just paid for the pre-order..
so what happen now? I had received the registration code...

can someone shade some light...

I hope the MC19 will be much simpler...
So that I don't have to switch between wasapi and asio..

rgds

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2013, 02:16:24 am »

Well said by maid and thezone. Some of us have been doing this for ten years or more, and J River haven't let us down yet...

though if you have a plasma and were waiting patiently for the image retention protection feature in theater view, you might argue with me ;)

Thing is though, there are other ways to prevent that, so it shouldn't be a deal breaker of any kind, and one day, it'll just get slipped in there on the QT...
They have a very unique way of doing things, it works, so more power to them.

-marko

I'm with maid and thezone too. For me, the upgrade's around the cost of a 6-pack (ish ... dang if only Ben Bernanke had kept his mouth shut. The US$ strengthened at the hint of a back pedal on QE but nothin' doin') - all good. Well worth the preinvestment. Keep it up guys ...  ;D

I had just paid for the pre-order..
so what happen now? I had received the registration code...

can someone shade some light...

I hope the MC19 will be much simpler...
So that I don't have to switch between wasapi and asio..

rgds

Read the threads above and in the thread announcing MC19, you'll find that your rego code will work for MC18 and when MC19 is released, you'll be covered for its rego into the bargain. However, you'll have to wait. MC19 hasn't hit the streets yet.

Check back through the history here on Interact and you'll see that this is the J River standard delivery method for a new release and there's virtually the same round of queries in a rather deja vu / Groundhog Day kind of fashion.

You can feel reassured in that you've made a wise investment..   8)
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

aaronshaw

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2013, 02:29:39 am »

v19 purchased. You guys make the best Media Centre software ever, you'll have my continued support every year :)

stubbsy

• Recent member
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2013, 03:07:00 am »

Well yes MC is an awesome program and yes that's a cheap upgrade, but it's a pig in a poke.  Paying for the upgrade now with no known new features is about as good an investment as taking the money and betting on the horses.  It's all marketing spin.

Early builds will resemble MC18, and will improve throughout the year.  Before MC19 finishes, it will be faster, easier to use, more powerful, and better looking than MC18

and that statement above from the announcement takes the cake.  The seond sentence effectively says that before we ask you to shell out again for v20 the current version will be faster and better looking that it is now.  Those improvements could be delivered in 20 years time for all we know (before you all jump on me I understand it's more likely v20 will be in the next year or so)

I for one won't be speculating my $19 despite many, many years of dependable quality.

Hanske

« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2013, 03:14:06 am »

OK its a tiny bit of a gamble but purchased it anyway (long history of great upgrades)  ;)

satfrat

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2013, 03:23:37 am »

For last years $18.95 "upgrade" fee, JRiver took away the option of downloading MiniView skins. Any chance that this years "upgrade" fee will restore what MC 12-17 had to offer and if not, what will we be losing with this year MC 19 for $18.95?

Seeing how I've already prepaid my yearly dues as usual, I guess I'll be finding out and it'll probably be the hard way like last year when silence was golden on this forum when it was asked many times about loss of MiniView skin options.

In response to "thezone", your "$19 for Pete's sake" every year for me has added up to around $152,,, for Pete's sake. Then again my insurance company keeps taking away from my policy while the yearly premium continues to rise. Must be a Best Business practice thingie. hahahahahaha

Cheers,
Robin

rlebrette

« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2013, 03:45:13 am »

I bought mine too, keep up the good works!
Whatever the features will be, I'm sure they will be valuable. (even if, as a lot of us, I'm impatient to know what you are cooking for us)

pahunt

• World Citizen
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2013, 04:01:53 am »

While I understand people's desire for a list of features that will be in v19 I look at it from a different point of view. The fact that there is no feature list means that we, the users, have the ability to influence what will be included (even if does sometimes require transporting livestock halfway around the world!). I don't see Microsoft, Apple or anyone else for that matter giving their customers that level of interaction.

To put this in perspective, I work as a software developer on a piece of software that cost each of our customers thousands per year and I bet they wish it was as reliable, reactive and cheap as MC. In fact I am constantly amazed that MC can be released hundreds of times per year with very few serious issues ever being reported while at the same time the developers make themselves available as front-line support as well.

I don't know what your secret is Matt, Jim et al but for me a few dollars a year to be along for the ride is a very small price to pay :)

oneto

« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2013, 04:58:52 am »

To me, the only thing I like is to take into consideration the people who have the latest version against people with obsolete versions when putting upgrade pricing. I have gone through the following versions: 11,12,14,15,16,17,18 and now the 19 and I pay the same as someone who does not upgrade from 11. ?

pahunt

• World Citizen
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2013, 05:11:57 am »

To me, the only thing I like is to take into consideration the people who have the latest version against people with obsolete versions when putting upgrade pricing. I have gone through the following versions: 11,12,14,15,16,17,18 and now the 19 and I pay the same as someone who does not upgrade from 11. ?

Yes but purchasing all those licences has meant you have had a much better MC experience for the last 5 years than those who stuck with v11, that's what you were paying for.

If there's a piece of software out there that's better overall value money when you take into account all the new features, support etc. I would like to see it.

FJV

« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2013, 05:26:04 am »

I upgraded and promptly got a error message - "Error restoring Media Center License: Unknown Error.  

I've the same problem. My version is MC 16.

What have I to do?

Thanks.

sjbabbey

« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2013, 05:52:14 am »

"We stopped selling MC18 licenses on July 1, so if you purchase from inside MC18, you'll get an MC19 license"

I bought my (first) licence for MC18 on July 4th and indeed the filename suggests it is an MC19 licence. I still received an email to upgrade. Will I have to pay for the upgrade if my licence is already for MC19? 

locust

« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2013, 06:13:31 am »

For me, even if MC19 doesn't deliver heap loads of features that are valuable to me, I still don't grudge buying the licence because this piece of software is amazing, so much so that I never want to see it disappear or development stop, so the upgrade price is a small sacrifice on my part.. There will inevitably be new features that will suit me.. Keep up the great work dev team, if only there were more companies like this one..

JohnT

« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2013, 09:29:18 am »

"We stopped selling MC18 licenses on July 1, so if you purchase from inside MC18, you'll get an MC19 license"

I bought my (first) licence for MC18 on July 4th and indeed the filename suggests it is an MC19 licence. I still received an email to upgrade. Will I have to pay for the upgrade if my licence is already for MC19? 
No, you're good to go for MC19.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up