INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Weird files in library  (Read 1501 times)

sluizer

• World Citizen
Weird files in library
« on: July 13, 2013, 11:04:32 pm »

Hello,

I just upgraded to MC 18 and I backed up my library (from MC 15) and restored it in MC 18. Everything is fine except that I noticed that there are a couple of weird items in the library. The problem is that I cannot figure out how to make them show up when I view the library so that I can delete them. I have checked and they are not audio, video, etc. files. Consequently, I have not been able to figure out how to see them inside MC. I know that they are part of the library because when I exported it to XML, they show up as an item in the database (both in MC 15 and MC 18).

The actual file names are:
C:\Documents and Settings\sluizer\Application Data\J River\Media Center 15\Library\Playlists\AllNewRipped\NewRippedStuff.m3u
C:\Documents and Settings\sluizer\Desktop\Playlists_20110924\AllNewRipped\NewRippedStuff.m3u

Please tell me how I can delete these files from the library.

Thanks for any help,
Suzanne Sluizer

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Weird files in library
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 02:43:15 am »

These are playlist files.

Create a Smartlist, hit the Import/Export button, and replace the contents with exactly:

[filename (name)]=".m3u] ~d=a

and OK you're way out.  You should see the files in the list.  Select and delete permanently.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

sluizer

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 02:48:12 am »

These are playlist files.

Create a Smartlist, hit the Import/Export button, and replace the contents with exactly:

[filename (name)]=".m3u] ~d=a

and OK you're way out.  You should see the files in the list.  Select and delete permanently.

Thank you for the help.

However, I am curious as to why only those 2 show up in the library when I have many, many playlists. Is it because these two are not in the "usual" location for playlists?

Thanks.

MrC

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 02:53:13 am »

Subtle distinction.

These are playlist files, not playlists.  Playlists and Smartlists are managed internally by MC.

MC can import from or export to m3u (or other playlist formats), so these files were either created by some other app, or a File > Export Playlist operation in MC.  So these two files are not part of your playlists and smartlists in MC.

sluizer

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 03:07:03 am »

Subtle distinction.

These are playlist files, not playlists.  Playlists and Smartlists are managed internally by MC.

MC can import from or export to m3u (or other playlist formats), so these files were either created by some other app, or a File > Export Playlist operation in MC.  So these two files are not part of your playlists and smartlists in MC.

I'd guess that they were created as part of a File > Export Playlist operation in MC, since I don't use any other app.

Now when I created the smartlist as you described above, far more than just those 2 playlist files appeared. (In fact, there were 49 of them. And all of them, except for one, had a red "x" in a yellow box indicating that they no longer existed.) So I don't understand why only two of them -- neither of which actually exist any more -- showed up in the database directly.

And just to make sure that I understand the distinction, these files are some kind of representation of a playlist, not the actual playlist itself, right?

Thanks.

MrC

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 03:17:32 am »

The ~a smartlist modifier shows you all files in MC's several databases.  You can select and delete those playlist files that are indicated to not exist on disk (yellow box, red icon).  These were probably files in the Deleted database, and they were there because you once deleted them some time ago (MC remembers these, so it doesn't try to reimport them).

m3u files are valid playlist files and many players use them directly.  MC doesn't need or directly use these playlists.  They are just text files with paths to files.  MC will export a playlist in certain situations such as handheld syncing (because players can use these).

sluizer

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 03:22:51 am »

The ~a smartlist modifier shows you all files in MC's several databases.  You can select and delete those playlist files that are indicated to not exist on disk (yellow box, red icon).  These were probably files in the Deleted database, and they were there because you once deleted them some time ago (MC remembers these, so it doesn't try to reimport them).

m3u files are valid playlist files and many players use them directly.  MC doesn't need or directly use these playlists.  They are just text files with paths to files.  MC will export a playlist in certain situations such as handheld syncing (because players can use these).

Thanks again for your help. It is much appreciated.
Pages: [1]   Go Up