INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HDMI Monitor and video playback.  (Read 16241 times)

• Recent member
HDMI Monitor and video playback.
« on: July 24, 2013, 11:15:27 am »

Hey guys.  First, not a JRiver question but recently I connected an LED HDTV to the computer via HDMI.  I can't get the computer sound to go to the tv (for those times when we don't want to play through the speakers).  The TV has 3 HDMI connections and one of them is associated with the PC/DVI input and requires a separate sound input but the other two do not.  I think the issue is in the computer's HDMI output which is associated with the VGA/DVI.  I can't seem to find anyway to enable sound on the HDMI/Monitor output.  I found a test button and it sent a sound to the tv, but after it stopped there remained a constant shrill sound coming out of the TV's speakers.  Now for audio (JRiver), I am using digital optical out as the default device, but HDMI sound is not even working on youtube through FireFox.  Any ideas?

The second question is about screen resolution.  I have the desktop set to 720 even though the monitor is 1080, so I can see text and icons better.  But I see in JRiver that I can choose the Resolution in Tree & View, and also in Video/Display Settings (Automatic).  So will JRiver play the 1080 format when a video is playing independent of the desktop display setting?  If so, what do the numbers after the resolution mean ex:  1920x1080 ...32x60.

Thanks!

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: HDMI Monitor and video playback.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 11:54:57 am »

Hey guys.  First, not a JRiver question but recently I connected an LED HDTV to the computer via HDMI.  I can't get the computer sound to go to the tv (for those times when we don't want to play through the speakers).  The TV has 3 HDMI connections and one of them is associated with the PC/DVI input and requires a separate sound input but the other two do not.  I think the issue is in the computer's HDMI output which is associated with the VGA/DVI.  I can't seem to find anyway to enable sound on the HDMI/Monitor output.  I found a test button and it sent a sound to the tv, but after it stopped there remained a constant shrill sound coming out of the TV's speakers.  Now for audio (JRiver), I am using digital optical out as the default device, but HDMI sound is not even working on youtube through FireFox.  Any ideas?
You may need to update your video card drivers. Nvidia have an HDMI Audio driver that installs with them for example.

Check what devices are listed in the Windows control panel, e.g.

This is the device you want to set up in Media Center for audio output. (probably via WASAPI)

The second question is about screen resolution.  I have the desktop set to 720 even though the monitor is 1080, so I can see text and icons better.
If you are running Windows 8, you may wish to use the DPI settings to increase the size of everything on-screen, rather than lowering the resolution.

I see in JRiver that I can choose the Resolution in Tree & View, and also in Video/Display Settings (Automatic).  So will JRiver play the 1080 format when a video is playing independent of the desktop display setting?
Yes, you can do this - though you should only have to make changes in the Video section and it should switch to the "Default" option after playback.

If so, what do the numbers after the resolution mean ex:  1920x1080 ...32x60.
32x60 means 32-bit color (which you always want) at 60Hz.

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 08:31:43 am »

Thanks much for the reply!  I messed around with the HDMI and it seems I will not be able to use it's audio.  I did get it to work by making the HDMI the default sound source.  This did not affect JRiver since it manages it's own device but on all other sources the sound would play through the TV only.  My girlfriend uses Itunes to connect with her library, as one example.  I'll try the computer's analog out to the tv and see if it will work without making it default, otherwise I think I'm stumped since my receiver does not have an analog audio out to pass the signal along..

I was able to to make the desktop resolution 1920x1080 (native) and adjusted the icon and text size (Windows 7 Home Premium).  Everything looks great.  I still have a few issues though, JRiver Header bar (?) is too small.  The stop/play buttons are tiny, and the search box which I use often is too narrow.  I experimented with the font size in JRiver and all the text looks real nice at 10 dpi.  The resolution change also causes the DSP studio box to be much smaller, and dragging it bigger does not change the size of the the text within.  I tried to play around with the JRiver resolution settings and set it to 1380x768 but nothing seems to happen.  I am a little hesitant to mess around too much without being more certain of what I am affecting..  What would you suggest?

Thanks again!

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 08:51:27 am »

Would my music play just as well through the HDMI vs Optical?  I could route that to the receiver, then to the tv...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 09:17:19 am »

Yes.

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 10:16:10 am »

Thanks Jim,

I know it's kind of a noob question but I find myself in uncharted territory having just switched amps/receivers.  I had been running an older 2 channel Adcom system and just hooked up a Samsung receiver. 

If it's interesting to anyone I'll share here that I had bought this Samsung for my girlfriends system because it had an Ipod dock.  I never thought much about it really.   We recently combined households and we were going to get rid of it.  By chance I hooked it up to some speakers I was never happy with (going to get rid of) and we were surprised by how good they sounded.  Long story short, I connected it to my speakers and got the same result.  The Samsung uses their Crystal Amp Pro, which is a class D amp (I guess).  I always heard that Class D was good only for subs and never for full spectrum music but it sounds good to us.  It does have a slightly thinner sound and the power is not quite there but it's very clear and quick and the soundstage is solid.  I always had a problem with brightness with the Adcom, but that problem is now gone, if anything the highs are now a bit recessed.  There are some trade-offs but overall we feel the sound has improved.  I think this technology has alot of potential and am looking forward to finding an even better evolution of it (not supposing that Samsung is the end all of amplification) but for now it will take over duties. 

Also, I had been using a Musicstreamer II and never could get it to stop clicking and popping at start-up, so I connected the optical to the Samsung having JRiver upscale everything to 96khz for it, and Samsungs DAC sounds better than the MusicStreamer connection, which also surprised me.  Haven't heard any popping or clicking through optical/Samsungs DAC. 

The last few days have seen alot of changes around here, alot of new ways to do things.  A 10 pound receiver is replacing 50 pounds of amps, an external dac is sitting unused, speakers that were looked upon as sad are now very vibrant.  What's next?  Will I become one of those 5 channel for music guys? 

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 12:05:35 pm »

Thanks for your post.
Pages: [1]   Go Up