INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's your feature request?  (Read 3963 times)

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
  • "Science is not a democracy"-Earl Geddes, Ph.D.
What's your feature request?
« on: July 27, 2013, 08:38:58 pm »

I thought it would be good to start a feature request wish list for JRiver MC (Mac) users.  Obviously this is just a wish list from us users and therefore no guarantee but maybe if there are enough repeats of the same request, it will happen. 

I want Vinyl Conversion.
W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

My podcast:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
Re: What's your feature request?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 05:18:08 pm »

I want Vinyl Conversion.

I.e. I put a record on top of my computer and hey presto it ends up in MC library?

Sorry for the snark, I know that's not what you mean, but recording, editing, and cleanup/restoration aren't the kinds of things a media library/server/player does.

Micah

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
  • Sonicus Caelumus Tremendamus
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 12:59:01 am »

I'm just gunna throw this out there and let it be.

My suggestion is to let each end user configure/add those (group of related) features which will actually be used.

This is an expansion of what you already are doing with DSP Studio.

For example I have no need nor desire for any of the video related functions, at all.
So why should I have to see and navigate around all of the setup and controls for something I have no use for?

In other words let the user pick and choose what groups of features (s)he actually needs.

My needs are very simple so my list of functions should be simple as well.  If I were to want to add more functionality at a later time all I'd need to do was 'add' them to my version of MC.

Yes I realize this would be a re-organization and a re-write of the basic 'engine' that is MC.
But this single idea, if picked up and run with, would forever set you apart from all others, not to mention 'modularize' how updates and new features are added etc.

Just a thought or 2 or 3

JJ
Custom 71A HP amp, Schiit Jggy dac, HD-800-Jmod, AOIP digital data feed, custom wiring and mains power feed, Mac Pro 4cpu 16GB ram SSD's

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 04:11:10 am »

I'm just gunna throw this out there and let it be.

My suggestion is to let each end user configure/add those (group of related) features which will actually be used.

This is an expansion of what you already are doing with DSP Studio.

For example I have no need nor desire for any of the video related functions, at all.
So why should I have to see and navigate around all of the setup and controls for something I have no use for?

In other words let the user pick and choose what groups of features (s)he actually needs.

My needs are very simple so my list of functions should be simple as well.  If I were to want to add more functionality at a later time all I'd need to do was 'add' them to my version of MC.

Yes I realize this would be a re-organization and a re-write of the basic 'engine' that is MC.
But this single idea, if picked up and run with, would forever set you apart from all others, not to mention 'modularize' how updates and new features are added etc.

Just a thought or 2 or 3

JJ

Are you talking about the perennial request for a simplified interface for the audiophile only set?
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Simplified_Interface
I'm not a Mac user but the PC model should be applied to Mac by default, I would have thought  ?

Potentially some other entries along similarly relevant lines:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/View_Schemes
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Tree_%26_View_Settings

One of the big pluses that I give MC is the designed in flexibility and if it's not there, you can ask for it. Need will generally drive, how it comes to pass.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

astromo

• MC Beta Team
Converting Vinyl Audio to Digital
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 04:25:24 am »

I want Vinyl Conversion.

I.e. I put a record on top of my computer and hey presto it ends up in MC library?

Sorry for the snark, I know that's not what you mean, but recording, editing, and cleanup/restoration aren't the kinds of things a media library/server/player does.

Micah

And you shall have it ... if that is your desire but I'd be looking elsewhere. Such as here for good advice:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/486-guide-converting-analog-vinyl-digital-files-using-windows/

The poster of the guide above is an MC user and occasionally pops up on Interact. From my reading of his advice in general, is that it's well thought out and aimed at easy repeatability for minimal cost. You might have a challenge with Mac but if you ask nicely, you'll probably get some suitably helpful clues.

You'd probably find that there are a range of good reasons why MC hasn't already gone down the path you're asking for. I'll leave others in the know to explain why. All the best in sorting things out for yourself..   ;)
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Fred1

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 05:33:15 am »

I wish MC Mac would accept keystrokes and clipboard pastes from the outside world.

Programs like Keyboard Maestro or Quicksilver and even Apple Script cannot control MC.
I don't know any other applications but MC which ignore these programs.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
Re: Converting Vinyl Audio to Digital for Mac
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 07:00:48 pm »

Micah

And you shall have it ... if that is your desire but I'd be looking elsewhere. Such as here for good advice:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/486-guide-converting-analog-vinyl-digital-files-using-windows/

The poster of the guide above is an MC user and occasionally pops up on Interact. From my reading of his advice in general, is that it's well thought out and aimed at easy repeatability for minimal cost. You might have a challenge with Mac but if you ask nicely, you'll probably get some suitably helpful clues.

You'd probably find that there are a range of good reasons why MC hasn't already gone down the path you're asking for. I'll leave others in the know to explain why. All the best in sorting things out for yourself..   ;)

Oops   ::)  missed the one for you Mac guys:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/503-guide-converting-analog-vinyl-digital-files-using-macintosh/
Max kudos points to Mitchco

From taking a wander through the process, it's rather involved. So, I can understand that a digital audio media platform does not immediately lend itself to A/D recording, especially if audiophile values are paramount.

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 08:01:33 pm »

Yes, I'm quite aware of PM Vinyl.  I'd like to get MC 18 to have it so it can 100% replace all other software.  Hence the reason for my request. 
W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

My podcast:

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 07:06:53 pm »

Please add, print library to File > Print > Library (artist, album etc) > Save As > PDF. 

This would be great as I do this every time I add music so I have a running list that is also an electronic copy to my backups. 

My podcast:

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
  • Sonicus Caelumus Tremendamus
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 07:23:16 pm »

I don't know if you are aware but, the Mac OS already has pdf generation built in.  It is accessed thru the print dialog screens…

JJ
Custom 71A HP amp, Schiit Jggy dac, HD-800-Jmod, AOIP digital data feed, custom wiring and mains power feed, Mac Pro 4cpu 16GB ram SSD's

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 07:25:10 pm »

I don't know if you are aware but, the Mac OS already has pdf generation built in.  It is accessed thru the print dialog screens…

JJ
OK. So how does one do it with the full library then?

My podcast:

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 07:25:45 pm »

MC Mac doesn't have a Print menu item.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 07:27:16 pm »

MC doesn't have a Print menu item.
It really should IMO.  This is crazy that something so simple isn't there.  Nobody else needs/wants this?

My podcast:

MrC

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 07:28:00 pm »

The Windows version has Print List... under File. Its just not yet implemented in the Mac version.

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 07:29:45 pm »

The Windows version has Print List... under File. Its just not yet implemented in the Mac version.
Ah OK.  That makes me feel warm and fuzzy.   :)  So you do not have to create an Album Inventory view then?

My podcast:

MrC

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013, 07:34:22 pm »

You would still need to create some List View like the Album Inventory.  Then, you can print (to a printer or PDF) the view.

It looks like this:

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2013, 07:35:59 pm »

You would still need to create some List View like the Album Inventory.  Then, you can print (to a printer or PDF) the view.

It looks like this:
Ah OK.  Well, hopefully the Powers That Be will see these posts and put it on the list. 

My podcast:

shAf

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2013, 08:56:48 pm »

I want Vinyl Conversion.

I want a library client that will work with MC19's library server!
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2013, 08:59:08 pm »

I want a library client that will work with MC19's library server!
Since this is the Mac MC section....I want MC19.   ;D

My podcast:

dan92075

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2013, 12:56:15 am »

I would like the ability to channel Spotify / Pandora / Mog through JRiver and take advantage of all of its DSP functions

I understand Windows has such an ability,  and it would be great if the Mac version does too!
Pages: [1]   Go Up