INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can you load external subs with BD folder rips?  (Read 12337 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Can you load external subs with BD folder rips?
« on: July 28, 2013, 04:56:57 am »

I've not tried but we have some Italian exchange students and most of our BD rips don't have Italian subs (oddly many have subs like ancient Greek...go figure). Anyway, can you add external subtitle files to a BD folder (and if so where do you put them and how do you name them) so they appear as a selectable sub stream?
JRiver CEO Elect

user38

• Recent member
Re: Can you load external subs with BD folder rips?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 11:18:57 am »

Yes you can.  However, you have to start the blu ray from the m2ts file.

Here are the instructions:

• In explorer (or whatever Mac users use) navigate to the Stream folder under BDMV folder
  • Find the m2ts file that contains the main movie (it should be the largest file and its length will correspond to the length of the feature movie)
  • Import that m2ts file into Media Center (the easiest way of doing this is to select the option "Automatically import files when played" under the "General" tab and then execute the m2ts file)
  • Rename the subtitle file so that it corresponds to the m2ts file
  • In Media Center rename the m2ts file to the name of the feature movie and execute the "Get Movie and TV info..."
  • The imported subtitle file will now display in the subtitle list
  • For example, Ramen Girl is only available on Blu Ray with German subtitles (and half of the movie is in Japanese)
  • I found the English subtitles online
  • The Ramen Girl feature is muxed into the file 00006.m2ts
  • I imported 00006.m2ts into my Media Center library
  • I copied the subtitle file into the Stream folder and renamed it "00006.m2ts.Eng_plus_Japanese.srt"
  • The imported subtitle file are now available when the movie is played (it displays as "00006.m2ts.Eng_plus_Japanese.srt")

The only trick is to find subtitles that correspond to the timing of the movie (as Blu Rays play at 24 frames a second, NTSC DVDs play at 30 frames a second and Pal DVDs at 25 frames a second).

Hope this helps

Stephen

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 06:29:53 pm »

Thanks Stephen for the time to write it up.  I'm OK with this method for files in general, the Q is more how to do this (if at all possible) with a BD Structure. 
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 05:34:08 am »

Bump - any one if this is possible or not?
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 07:22:28 pm »

Nothing like trying it yourself, and the answer is YES.  Just place the subtitle file in the BDMV folder as "index (ITA).srt" or example.  Now the hard bit is finding the ones with the right timing as most seem to be way out.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 03:38:05 am »

It also works with BD Title Particles!  The subtitle file should be saved in the "BDMV\Playlist" folder as "#####.srt" where it matches the "....filepath\BDMV\PLAYLIST\#####.mpls".  The playlist folder can contain multiple Title Particles.
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up