INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: external storage-- more newbie questions  (Read 887 times)

tngiloy

• Junior Woodchuck
external storage-- more newbie questions
« on: July 28, 2013, 01:53:46 pm »

Since I have 1500-2000 cd's to rip (to flac) and don't want to fill up my laptop I need to get some external storage.

Can I rip directly to the external hard drive thru MC18-19 and have it locate and play directly from external storage? How do I set this up?? Does this hamper or slow down the MC software?

How many TB's of storage would you estimate I would need for 2000 cd's worth of flac ?
Please excuse my ignorance, but if it should take say 1TB, can I back it up on a 2TB external hard drive?? Can I partition it??

How do I set up MC to automatically the album info (cover art/songs/time/etc) ?? Or do I need to click 'get info' for each album? If I forget can I get the info later??

Tom

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: external storage-- more newbie questions
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 02:04:50 pm »

I have about 1460 cds, plus misc non-CD music, and disk usage is just under 450Gb.

You can use an external HD no problem.  Its best if you leave it attached so that MC always has access to the files.  If you need to take it offline, as for more details.  Just add the new folder path to MC.  Be sure to read Moving Files if you plan on relocation your currently imported media.

So long as the device is reasonably fast, performance for audio should be acceptable.  Antivirus software can slow access, so you might want to adjust settings (ask if you see issues).

Obtaining cover art and metadata depends.  If the data is already in the file's tags, MC will read and use those values.  If not, and there is useful info in the file's path and name, you can pull those.  Your new CD rips from MC will grab from online databases.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

tngiloy

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: external storage-- more newbie questions
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 04:23:30 pm »

Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up