INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: File associations problem  (Read 1542 times)

jhpen

File associations problem
« on: July 29, 2013, 10:35:07 am »

Hello all,
I used MC for about 10 days of the trial and liked it very much.  Then a strange thing happened that may have more to do with Windows 7 than with MC; I don't know enough about either to be able to tell, and Lenovo CS didn't know, either.  I ended up having to reinstall Windows.

Here's what happened.  Every program on my computer suddenly became associated with MC.  All the icons turned to the MC icon.  If I tried to open MS Word, for instance, it tried to open in MC.  I finally figured out how to make Word open in Word, and then the icon of every other program changed to the Word icon.  MC wouldn't work, for instance, because it tried to open in Word.  This is all above my level.  

Since the Lenovo CS guy couldn't figure it out, even after remotely connecting to my desktop, I'm naturally reluctant to try MC again.  Maybe someone here has an idea?
Cheers,
JP

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Need help with curious problem
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 10:38:40 am »

This isn't a problem with MC.

Your file associations must have been set wrong.  If MS Word opened MC,  you must have had exe files associated with MC.  Tools/Options/Filetypes or do an Internet lookup of file associations.

jhpen

Re: Need help with curious problem
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 10:53:47 am »

Thanks, JimH.  I Googled file associations and think I could fix the problem, now, if it ever arose again.  I did make some changes in Options>Tools, but is it possible that I unknowingly made changes there that would have associated all other programs with MC?  This is obviously a problem I'd want to be confident I wouldn't replicate, or one that I'd want to be able to fix, before buying the program.
JP
Pages: [1]   Go Up