INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rating out of 10 instead of 5?  (Read 1705 times)

jctcom

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Rush - Styx - Yes - Porcupine Tree - Staple Food!
Rating out of 10 instead of 5?
« on: July 29, 2013, 04:53:22 pm »

Is it possible to change the rating system to rate out of 10 instead of 5?

I am currently using Helium Music Manager and testing J River MC 18.  One of the main reasons is for it's ability to play my High Definition audio files (Which I am loving so far).

In HMM I was able to rate with Half stars but MC only seems to accept full *'s.

Is there a way to change that?  (Do the tags even support it?  I noticed that all my currently rated files seem to be in full *'s.  Did HMM save my rating to the database and then rounded them up or down to save to the tags?)

Thanks.

Carl.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Rating out of 10 instead of 5?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 04:56:36 pm »

MC's Rating field is an integer value from 0 to 5.

You can look at how HMM stores the tags using the MC Tag dump.  Select a track, go to the Tag Action Window, and click the first line in the T.A.W.  It will show the file type, duration and size.  That will open a new display which shows the physical tags.  Look for one that appears to be your HMM rating.  If it is other than Rating, it can probably be read by MC once you create a new user field with exactly the same name.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

jctcom

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 05:51:52 pm »

Hmmm.  The only thing in there that mentions rating at all is:

H2_RATING = Default = ###

Where number is for example:

# in TAW        Rating in HMM
153                      ***
178                      ***1/2
204                      ****
255                      *****

I am guessing it is using 0 - 255 with selected numbers in between for 1/2, 1, 1 1/2, 2, 2 1/2 etc... 4 1/2, 5

But there are also entries like:

"Windows Media Player 9 Series=### Carl Taylor=###"

I know that in HMM you can have different users now and they can have their own song ratings, playlists etc... So this probably has something to do with that.

Not sure how I will get that into MC though?  (actually I am not interested in the user specified ratings and I only saw a few of those.  But I am concerned that they could play havoc with any attempt to import the rest?)

Carl

MrC

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 06:04:04 pm »

If you create the H2_RATING field within MC, and select the tracks, right-click, and select Library Tools > Update Library (from tags), MC should read the tags and set the H2_RATING field for you.  Then, you can create a new field with is your 0 to 10 scale, and you can use an expression to assign the values from H2_RATING to the new field:

=formatnumber(math(replace([H2_RATING], Default =/ ,) / 25.5),0)

or create an expression column in the file list to see the values w/out creating a new field (use the same expression above, without the leading = char).

jctcom

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 06:46:56 pm »

In going through the database it seems to have picked up about 20% of the ratings I had and they have a different designation for the ratings.  "POPM (Rating):"

This one seems to be being picked up in MC.

I think I am just going to live with that and start rating tracks again as I listen etc...

If I can share the database (See another post from me) it will make it easier for me to rate because I will be able to rate even if I am using my media player (Popcorn Hour A-400) on a different computer as the A-400 uses my main system that is also connected to my Home theater computer.

Carl.

MrC

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 06:51:02 pm »

POPM is ID3v2, so these are probably your mp3 files, or others that are using ID3v2 tags.

MC has different mappings for various file formats; these are built into the input plugins.  So the mp3 plugin likely reads this value (but I'm not certain of this).

The H2_RATING field is probably a Vorbis Comment field, used for FLAC and a few others.
Pages: [1]   Go Up