INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Frozen TV Recordings  (Read 2360 times)

coxianuk

• Recent member
Frozen TV Recordings
« on: August 04, 2013, 12:59:53 am »

HI,

Been using MC18 for a bit now and I am noticing that some recordings seem to have all the content but will not play. If you step through them they seem to have captured the program but it will just not play. It is as if its missing some information to trigger the play back. Not sure if they have sound.

It' not restricted to any specific channel and I have had successful recording on the channels suffering from the problem. So

1) what's causing this?
2) can the frozen files be recovered?

Many thanks
Ian

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Frozen TV Recordings
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 07:31:21 am »

Take a look at this problem (and solution):
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=82263.msg562476#msg562476

Maybe not the same, but it might give you an idea of where to look.

coxianuk

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 02:03:46 am »

I have looked at that resolution and will move the temp folder however the issue they suffered was on play back of stuff across the network. My issue seems to be more with the recording file format (ts) as it cannot be opened in the media editor either. Tried another editor and it could extract the audio stream but no video stream?

Unless you think the temp folder thing can also affect writing the I think I need another solution.

Will report back on tbe folder change soon.

Thanks
Ian

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 07:24:27 am »

Are your recordings playable inside MC?  There is a known problem of some ts recordings not being recognized by other applications.  I am working on the issue.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

coxianuk

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 07:34:38 am »

Unfortunately not playable in MC.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 08:02:26 am »

Can you provide a short sample recording?  A recording for about 10 seconds should be small enough to email.  For larger files you can use DropBox or SkyDrive or other services.  yaobing at jriver dot com

Also please provide a log of MC session recording the show.

coxianuk

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 01:14:22 am »

I will try and replicate. I have currently only seen this effect when using scheduled recordings. I will experiment tonight (BST) with trying to replicate using a short recording. If successful I will send that, if not I'll have to dropbox you one of the full recordings.

I have also changed the temp folder now so we will see  if that does have a bearing on the issue.

thanks
Ian

coxianuk

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 01:03:08 am »

Tried to replicate using short recordings on the same channel I have seen the scheduled recording problem with no luck so far. I will try again tonight to see if I get anywhere with that.  :(

However having moved the temp folder to a non system drive and checking recordings that usually freeze I have not seen it. Sometimes this can happen so lets not roll out the flags yet but maybe that is the problem.

Running Win7 64bit Athlon Phenom II X4 955 3.2Ghz (Black) and 4Gb memory. C:\ has 395Gb free

Will report again when I have an update  :)

Regards
Ian

coxianuk

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 05:23:26 am »

Update on progress

I am doing some final testing today but I think I have resolved the issue. These are the things that I have spotted and resolved

1) Moved temp folder to non system disk which improved stability of recording
2) Switched off a failing disk I had installed. I had moved the temp folder to that disk which is how I found it
3) Realised that recordings of More4 were actually recording Film4 (next channel in the guide). so removed and readded schedule
4) Yesterday channel recording were the ones freezing. I remembered that recently there was a channel shakeup and that More4 and yesterday were included in that. My scheduled records lost the channel when I re-scanned so I manually edited each one and set the channel but this obviously did not work completely as deleteing the scedule and readding seems to have resolved the issue.

As I said I am awaiting final testing result by his evening so will confirm if everything is now working again. later.
 :)

Ian

coxianuk

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 10:03:44 am »

Now I am confused.

I removed and reregistered the More4 programs and the recording took place apart from they recorded Film4 again not More4.

The details from the channel editor are

More4
Network ID: 12330
Service ID: 8442
TSID: 8203
Frequency: 778000
Bandwidth: 8
ONID: 9018
Audio PID: 1402
Video PID: 1401
Audio format: MPEG-2 Audio
Video format: MPEG-2 Video

Film4
Network ID: 12330
Service ID: 27136
TSID: 24640
Frequency: 746000
Bandwidth: 8
ONID: 9018
Audio PID: 702
Video PID: 701
Audio format: MPEG-2 Audio
Video format: MPEG-2 Video

So I am wondering how the heck this is happening. Other scheduled recordings are working fine?

If I view More4 and Film4 by double clicking the channel in the listing then it shows the correct channel.

I have set up 2 scheduled short recordings. I will dropbox them and send you a link shortly.

Ian  ? :(

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 12:34:59 pm »

Sorry for the trouble, and thank you for providing the details.

You recorded two shows, "The Robe" on Film 4 and "A place in the sun" on More 4.  Both recordinsg play as "The Robe" (ancient Romans).  This may be related to something that I just fixed yesterday.  The fix will appear in a new build of MC19 soon.  If you try to play "A place in the sun" in VLC player, you actually can select which program to show, and be able to play the correct show.  That means both shows are recorded in the same TS file.  This is a bit surprising because the two channels have totally different transport stream IDs.

In any case, I am quite sure the problem will go away with the fix I made yesterday.

Meanwhile, if you switch to recording in jtv format (at least as a test), you should be able to record the correct shows.

coxianuk

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 01:11:08 pm »

:) Thanks for the quick response.

I will swap over to jtv and see how we go.

Thanks again and I look forward to MC19
Pages: [1]   Go Up