INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any way to suppress "Unassigned" from [datatype]=list expressions?  (Read 6985 times)

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Creating a Pane view using expression fields...

An example of such a pane would be

if(isequal([bonus track],Yes),[name],)&datatype=[ list ]

Trouble is that empty , at the end of the expression (ie all entries that don't match) get lumped into Unassigned by the view.  I don't want them there at all as they are the opposite (the NOT) of what I'm trying to display in the pane...

I don't think it's possible to suppress Unassigned?

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Any way to suppress "Unassigned" from [datatype]=list expressions?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 11:11:38 am »

You have to use Set rules for file display to exclude the files that would fall into Unassigned.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 11:17:53 am »

Not possible in this case as the panes have multiple rules that cannot be filtered out by the global "set rules".  I need a per pane solution...

MrC

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 11:34:02 am »

All files must fall into some category in a pane, so your options are to assign to something other than Unassigned, or live with Unassigned.  Otherwise you've created a UI where you ask for files of a certain criteria, but it would not be possible to select those files.

MrC

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 11:34:47 am »

I wonder if Search Lists might help?

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 12:45:03 pm »

Search Lists just shows the single search term, which when clicked returns the results... but doesn't display them until clicked.

I was wondering if I could do list manipulation to remove all "Unassigned" entries while building the list but haven't yet figured it out.

MrC

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 05:11:20 pm »

Think of it this way:

1. Search returns a list of files.
2. A view's Pane or Category definition create category buckets from that list of files according to the view's defined rules.  Each file goes into one and only one bucket.  Any left-overs that do not fit into the defined buckets get put into the Unassigned bucket.  No expression can alter this.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 12:08:30 am »

Think of it this way:

Is that what is going on.

I have two directories that store TV shows, E:\Recorded TV\ for TV I have recorded locally, and E:\TV Shows\ where I have moved recorded TV to after converting the file type, or sourced the shows elsewhere.

All files in those directories have a "Media Type" of "Video" and "Media Sub Type" of "TV Show". I wanted to view the contents of these two directories separately, so I cloned the "Shows" view to two new views called "Recorded TV" and "TV Shows". Tried selecting the correct directories at the "Recorded TV" and "TV Shows" level using the "Set rules for file display" dialogue, setting the "Filename (path)" to the directory required, but couldn't get that to work. No data was displayed. (Is there an expression that would allow me to only select TV Shows in each of those directories separately?) So I selected the directories by setting a "File Path" condition in the Details of each sub-view to the directory required.

For example, in the "Recorded TV" view I have created two sub-views, "All Recent" and "Series". The "All Recent" sub-view only has file path condition and I view it as just a list of files sorted by the "Date Imported" using the "Set rules for file display" dialogue. The "Series" sub-view has the file path condition plus the Series and Season conditions with the same settings as the default "Shows" view.

Both the "All Recent" and "Series" sub-views have a category of "unassigned" as the last entry, and that category contains all TV Shows regardless of the directory the files are stored in.

While it isn't a great problem, it would be nice if the unassigned category did not appear, or if there was some other way to exclusively display TV shows from one or the other directory. Is there a way to do that MrC?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

MrC

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 12:34:32 am »

Yes, that's what's happening.

In Set rules for file display, in your Recorded TV view, set:

Filename (path) starts with E:\Recorded TV\

and likewise for the TV Shows view:

Filename (path) starts with E:\TV Shows\

Can  you clarify this:

"Is there an expression that would allow me to only select TV Shows in each of those directories separately?"

as I'm not understanding.

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 01:52:56 am »

Time to petition Matt for a pane settings "hide unassigned entries"...

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 08:12:12 pm »

Filename (path) starts with E:\Recorded TV\

I should have thought of that, and looked more closely at the comparison options, particularly as there are subdirectories below the top level "E:\Recorded TV" and "E:\TV Shows" directories.

I added a new rule at the sub-view levels using the "Set rules for file display" dialogue, setting the comparison to "starts with" and removed the now unnecessary "File Path" condition in the Details of each sub-view. I guess I could have put the condition at the "Recorded TV" and "TV Shows" level instead. I might play with that later.

Problem solved. The unassigned category no longer appears in any of my new views.

Thank you for that MrC. I found your "File Properties" Wiki again and had another read. I should have done that before, and l should have turned my brain on!

I think I understand the record selection versus display of results functionality a bit better as a result of this thread. I think the "Set rules for file display" should more correctly say "Set rules for inclusion of records (files) in the results list." A bit long, but it would just about fit on the button provided.  ;D

Can  you clarify this:

"Is there an expression that would allow me to only select TV Shows in each of those directories separately?"

as I'm not understanding.

That sentence was just a badly written version of what my whole post said. I was looking for an expression that would only show TV Shows from the selected directory tree, such as "Recorded TV" instead of all TV shows in the library. You have provided the solution already. Thanks again.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up