INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it possible to create a view like this?  (Read 1172 times)

• Citizen of the Universe
Is it possible to create a view like this?
« on: August 09, 2013, 07:58:39 am »

So I have a view in my library for downloaded videos - this is a mixture of content that comes from "podcast" subscriptions, videos downloaded from YouTube to watch later, content from sites like Vimeo and TED etc.
Anything from a podcast has the Artist tag filled out, and sometimes files that come from other sites also have the Artist, or Album tags filled out. Anything else ends up in "Unassigned" - I really need to set up an import rule that automatically takes and subfolder name and uses that for the artist, though there will still be some which are just left as being "Unassigned".

Anyway, the issue I am having, is that I have a "Categories" view set up with the expression if(isempty([Artist]),[Album],[Artist])
This works well and groups everything together nicely so that I can click TED, Vimeo, YouTube etc. at the top of the window if I want to view content from a specific site (album) or subscription (artist).
It's sorted by import date, so that when a "podcast" downloads new content it's first in the list. It would be nice if there was some way to display an indicator for new content, but that's not a major issue.

My problem is that in the list of files below, everything is grouped by categories, even if I don't have one selected at the top and have grouping disabled.
So if I download a new TED talk, all my TED videos are now listed before anything else, rather than it being: TED, YouTube, YouTube, Vimeo, TED etc.

Is there any way to create a view that allows for category selection, without grouping the files together unless a category has been selected?
And something I would also like to do, would be to assign an image to each category, rather than just seeing thumbnails for each video. (so I could have the YouTube, Vimeo, TED logos displayed)

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Is it possible to create a view like this?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 12:59:07 pm »

Re, the indicator, what will trigger the concept of "newness"?  You could use that to add to the caption/thumbnail text when something is new.  E.g.

if(test for new,<font color="ff0000">*<//font>[Name].

As for Grouping, this is global to the view and currently there is no way to change it based on Category (or any) selection.  You could create an expression that you use to group on your Newness first, and when something isn't New, group on Category.

I don't believe there is any support for Category images.  This could be nice.

PS. In MC19, you can use:

firstnonempty([Artist], [Album])
   firstnotempty([Artist], [Album])

instead of:

if(isempty([Artist]),[Album],[Artist])
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 02:11:48 pm »

Re, the indicator, what will trigger the concept of "newness"?  You could use that to add to the caption/thumbnail text when something is new.
I suppose I could probably just set up something that uses watched() - the problem is that this only updates when actually watched inside Media Center and not when content is streamed to another device. (e.g. an iPad using JRemote)
Ideally, I think it would only indicate that there is new content, if it's newer than the newest piece of watched content, rather than everything in the category having to be marked as played.

As for Grouping, this is global to the view and currently there is no way to change it based on Category (or any) selection.
That's a shame. Some of the categories have as many as 80 or so videos in them, because they have been collected over a number of years. If I don't use the categories view and just use a file view, they display in the order I would like, but then there's no way to quickly select a category without changing views.

Having a view with ~10 or so categories across the top of the screen works a lot better for me than switching views in the navigation pane.

PS. In MC19, you can use:
   firstnonempty([Artist], [Album])
instead of:
   if(isempty([Artist]),[Album],[Artist])
This doesn't seem to be working correctly right now. I'll report it in the beta forum.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 02:42:22 pm »

I've corrected non ==> not above.  Sorry for the confusion.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up