INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DLNA 5 second countdown problem  (Read 1770 times)

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
  • Sonicus Caelumus Tremendamus
DLNA 5 second countdown problem
« on: August 13, 2013, 03:29:05 am »

This will be the last time I will mention this.

The 'infamous' 5 second perennial countdown to nowhere is still alive and kicking.

And it would be ever so helpful if we had the ability to re-start the media network servers without having to shutdown (not simply restart) the whole computer from within MC.

Thanks  JJ
Custom 71A HP amp, Schiit Jggy dac, HD-800-Jmod, AOIP digital data feed, custom wiring and mains power feed, Mac Pro 4cpu 16GB ram SSD's

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: DLNA 5 second countdown problem
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 10:21:28 am »

Can you explain the countdown in more detail?   I assume it only happens in DLNA mode to your PS Audio PWDII DAC, is that correct?  Is it the playback counter that goes to 5 seconds and then restarts at zero?  So playback doesn't work at all, or is it just the time display?

You can stop and restart the servers by clicking Options and unchecking/re-checking "Use Media Network ...".
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 02:02:02 pm »

Yes this only happens during DLNA network play to my PWD.
Recently this 5 sec countdown behavior only happens after I've played a few albums, but in the past it has happened right from the git go.

What happens is the player will 'start' and the track info display will start counting.  When it reaches ≈ 5 seconds into the track the counter will jump back to the start of the track and count down again.  This cycle repeats.  All the while no sound is heard.  Probably because it takes 6 to 8 seconds for sound to start to be heard, but that is a guess on my part.

If I let this repetitive cycle continue long enough the app will not exit on its own.  I have to force quit it.

But if I re-start the app most of the time it will continue this 5 sec. cycle, and the only way to 'recover' normal playing function is to shutdown and restart (a simple re-start doesn't work).  In the past the 'solution' to be able to play music was to use the USB 'player' (non-network functionality) until the Mac was shutdown for the night.

This is why being able to perform a network server re-start would be helpful.  Because essentially that is what is needed in order to recover from the 5 sec. cycle of doom…  ;D

JJ
Custom 71A HP amp, Schiit Jggy dac, HD-800-Jmod, AOIP digital data feed, custom wiring and mains power feed, Mac Pro 4cpu 16GB ram SSD's

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 02:18:51 pm »

Maybe it's the PS Audio DAC that is hanging up.  When you encounter the 5 second countdown problem, if you close Media Center, power cycle the DAC, then restart Media Center, does it work again?  We have several DNLA devices around the office that need to be power cycled occasionally because they get hung up.

Here's another thread pertaining to this DAC:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=81310.msg564496#msg564496
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 03:14:08 pm »

Yeah I've seen the PWD hangup as well.  But that seems to now be fixed after I did a Master Reset on it.

But it's not the PWD.  I know because sometimes, if I catch the 5 sec countdown 'quick' enough and restart the app it will run normally, without restarting the PWD.  And I'll leave the PWD on, and just restart the Mac, to 'solve' the problem as well.

JJ
Pages: [1]   Go Up