INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Choice of Video Card for Best Playback on MC  (Read 3043 times)

dragon76

• Recent member
Choice of Video Card for Best Playback on MC
« on: August 16, 2013, 06:15:10 pm »

For video playback I am currently using onboard Intel HD 4000 graphic card (Core i3) with MC 18. My TV is 52' plasma, but I soon will be upgrading to 65' 3DTV. So far the quality of playback for full-hd is good even with RO HQ, but I am wondering if switching to a discrete card further improves picture quality, or it is unnecessary unless I need this for more intensive graphic applications? Would very much appreciate opinions on this matter, especially if anyone did any tests comparing various Nvidia/AMD cards vs Intel.

dragon76

• Recent member
Re: Choice of Video Card for Best Playback on MC
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 03:35:24 am »

I am wondering that no one replied so far. Hoped to get some responses

jodokus

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 03:40:57 am »

I'm very happy with my XFX Radeon HD7770 card. HQ RO runs perfect with excellent colour. And a very good price!

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 05:13:06 am »

With ROHQ, Radeon cards do not support the overlay mode of Madvr. Whether that's something to consider only matters if you're actually using overlay mode. I do.

I think this is very personal. I've used a HD4000, currently using a GT450 passive and I've tested with my GTX580 as well. The GT450 is slightly faster than the HD4000 but not enough to use higher scaling settings or improve the poor deinterlacing performance on HD material. It does however allow me to use overlay mode so that is one of the GT450's benefit over the HD4000. Another important thing for me is that it better supports all the refresh rates I need (my TV supports every refresh rate video material can use).

With the GT450 I'm using the High settings advised here. More information about configuring Madvr can be found in the excellent guide by 6233638 found here. Highly recommended reading!

The problem with my settings on the GT450 is if you let Madvr deinterlace HD material, it's not powerful enough so I disable that. I don't have enough interlaced material to care.

For upscaling SD and 720p to 1080p I find the settings I mentioned to be good. SD is typically too bad anyways for higher scaling algorithms; crap in, crap out so to speak. I guess you could opt to mask artifacts but I don't care much for the softer image. For upscaling 720p I found I don't really see a difference at 4 meters on my 50" plasma. I actually made some screenshots of several stills to compare higher settings from up close. Although I saw a difference, for some stills I couldn't decide which one actually looked better (some were obviously better up close) but more importantly at 4 meters distance I couldn't spot a difference at all on stills or on a running movie.

I also used my GTX580 for testing interlaced material. It works and it looks better so if that's important to you, you may want to consider a more powerful card. THe problem however is that its so GPU intensive I don't think any passive card can handle this properly. My GTX580 jumped to 100% with fans blowing at 100% within seconds. I believe Jmone tested a GTX660 and found it to be the minimum for higher settings but if this included interlaced material I don't remember. Do a search in the video cards section of the forums.

So unless we get a more powerful passive card that handles 1080i deinterlacing at higher scaling settings I see no reason to upgrade my GT450. But again, this is my personal opinion from the testing I've done. YMMV so don't take my word for it, you should do your own testing. The HD4000 can do the highest settings with Madvr, it will drop frames but you can find a few still images from different scenes, freeze it and make screendumps to compare afterwards.

dragon76

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 04:12:32 pm »

Hi, InflatableMouse. Thank you for your thorough response to my question. From what you wrote I realized how uninformed I am about all these matters, including madVR and such. I guess it will be a good reading for me in the next several days to get smarter on these issues. You mention GT450, which as I understand is almost not available right now, and prior to my post I was thinking about getting passive GT 630. Do you feel this would be a true step up from HD4000?

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 03:00:48 am »

You mention GT450, which as I understand is almost not available right now, and prior to my post I was thinking about getting passive GT 630. Do you feel this would be a true step up from HD4000?

First I need to correct myself, I have the GT430, not a GT450. Sorry about that.

And no, I don't think its a step up. Like I said, its about as fast, maybe slightly faster and it can run on the same Madvr settings a HD4000 can run on. From what I remember the HD4000 had some driver issues with certain refresh rates (23/24hz?), I'm not sure what exactly it was. Nothing major for sure. And it might have been fixed too in more recent drivers.

For all intents and purposes, the experience with madvr on the GT430 and the HD4000 are the same. I had specific reasons for going with the GT430 but honestly, it changed nothing significant. If that refresh rate issue would still exist it can be overcome by enabling ReClock/VideoClock (check the Madvr guide).

bulldogger

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 09:31:43 am »

With ROHQ, Radeon cards do not support the overlay mode of Madvr. Whether that's something to consider only matters if you're actually using overlay mode. I do.
What are the advantages of the overlay mode?
Pages: [1]   Go Up