INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Simultaneous HDMI and Onboard Analog Ouput  (Read 12258 times)

rec head

• Citizen of the Universe
Simultaneous HDMI and Onboard Analog Ouput
« on: August 16, 2013, 06:22:09 pm »

It's been a rough day so I apologize that I barely researched this. All I really need is a "yes" or "no".

Can I run audio and video out HDMI and audio via the motherboard's stereo output simultaneously without having to setup zones or anything? I think this would be a Windows issue more than a MC issue.

I currently run HDMI to a splitter that outputs HDMI and Optical that I use to feed my AVR. The optical then feeds zone 2+3. If possible I would like to take the switch out of the chain and audio quality in zones 2+3 isn't that important.

kensn

• MC Beta Team
Re: Simultaneous HDMI and Onboard Analog Ouput
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 07:10:41 pm »

I believe you can only specify one audio device per zone.

You can have HDMI for 1 zone and Analog in another zone and link the zones. I do that when I play audio on my main HTPC (Receiver's HDMI input) and want my patio speakers playing the same thing (analog to my receiver's ZONE 2).

Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 12:32:36 pm »

You can do this for audio playback using linked zones, but I don't think it's an option for video playback.

rec head

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 02:42:57 pm »

Thanks folks, I take it the answer is no. Not a big deal. I have messed with zones to try and get HDMI and optical at the same time and never got it working. I don't feel like dealing with it right now. Especially when I have a speaker kit and MDF waiting for me.

jctcom

• Rush - Styx - Yes - Porcupine Tree - Staple Food!
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 08:44:44 pm »

I struggled with this for a bit and after searching the solution I finally decided on was a switch with HDMI Input(s) which Split the audio and did simultaneously output through both HDMI, Analogue (3.5mm Mini jack) and also SPDIF Optical.

I found it at Monoprice here:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5557&seq=1&format=2

This seems to work quite well for my multi-room reciever.

Hope this is useful for someone.

Carl.

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 08:50:01 pm »

Thanks folks, I take it the answer is no. Not a big deal. I have messed with zones to try and get HDMI and optical at the same time and never got it working. I don't feel like dealing with it right now. Especially when I have a speaker kit and MDF waiting for me.
1. Create a zone for HDMI playback.
2. Create a zone and set it up for Optical playback.
3. Right-click one of the zones and link it to the other.

This only works for audio playback, and not video though.

rec head

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 06:56:05 am »

I tried that before and it works. Problem is that then when I play video I get "video not supported" in the optical zone which really reduces the WAF. I think a 3rd switched zone is needed but I couldn't get it to work.

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 11:23:59 am »

I tried that before and it works. Problem is that then when I play video I get "video not supported" in the optical zone which really reduces the WAF. I think a 3rd switched zone is needed but I couldn't get it to work.
You're right - you will need to set up three zones for this.

• HDMI
  • Analog
  • Video
Configure HDMI and Analog to output to the specified devices, and link them together so that music is sent to both.
Set up your video zone to output to (presumably) HDMI.

Now you will have to create two ZoneSwitch Rules:

I think that will do what you want - though you may need to also add 2. Analog to the exclusion list in the video rule. (I don't think you will though, because they're linked)

rec head

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 07:08:20 pm »

Well jeez if you're going to give me step by step instructions with pictures I have no choice but to try it out. I can't get to it til Tuesday though.

Thanks. I'll post back with the results.
Pages: [1]   Go Up