INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Possible to play all albums from library without making a playlist?  (Read 9058 times)

stevenkelby

Hi All,

I love JRiver but have 1 question to make it perfect for me. I'm sure it's possible but don't know how.

I want JRiver to behave the way I have rockbox set up on my 240gb ipod.

I have nearly a terrabyte of music and like to browse it in JRiver. In the bar on th left side of the window I click on Audio, then Albums.

The main window I have sorted by Artist in the first column, the Album in the 2nd column. This way it's easy to find an artist then pick an album.

I right click the album I want and click Play.

My problem is, when that album is finished, the music stops, unless set to repeat, then it repeats that 1 album.

What I would love is, when the selected album is finished for JRiver to continue playing my entire library in order.

How can I make that happen?

Thanks,

Steve.

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Possible to play all albums from library without making a playlist?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 03:55:33 am »

If I'm following exactly what you want .... to do this on the fly try just CTR+A, then right-click "add to playing now" if you don't care if your initial album repeats.

If you don't want your first album to repeat do the same (CTRL+A) which will select everything, then holding control (Ctrl) reclick your album cover you are currently playing so that everything is selected except your album then right-click add to playing now. You can shuffle this if you want too.

This of course works with any filters like specific genres album artists etc.

PS: if you are doing this over a slow network a terabyte might need some buffering time to load all the tracks, but if you are already listening to a full album shouldn't make a difference

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 06:43:28 am »

In MC options, you can tell it to play all visible files when you press the play button.  Tools/Options/General/Behavior.

stevenkelby

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 07:11:14 am »

Thanks for the replies :)

If I'm following exactly what you want .... to do this on the fly try just CTR+A, then right-click "add to playing now" if you don't care if your initial album repeats.

If you don't want your first album to repeat do the same (CTRL+A) which will select everything, then holding control (Ctrl) reclick your album cover you are currently playing so that everything is selected except your album then right-click add to playing now. You can shuffle this if you want too.

This of course works with any filters like specific genres album artists etc.

PS: if you are doing this over a slow network a terabyte might need some buffering time to load all the tracks, but if you are already listening to a full album shouldn't make a difference

That does work. I can right click the mouse and drag to select a heap of albums after the one I just started playing, or just right click individual albums/groups of albums to add to Now Playing.

I really wanted it to happen automatically though, as it does in Rockbox (once set up correctly).

In MC options, you can tell it to play all visible files when you press the play button.  Tools/Options/General/Behavior.

Thanks, I checked and it's already set to that, I think by default as I don't think I changed it.

It doesn't affect my issue though as I don't use the play buttons to start a listening session. What I do is browse all albums, right click the one I want and select  Play.

Best regards,

Steve.

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 08:30:31 am »

That does work. I can right click the mouse and drag to select a heap of albums after the one I just started playing, or just right click individual albums/groups of albums to add to Now Playing.
You don't have to drag anything anywhere. CTRL+A right click Play Options of your choice (add play now or whatever)

I really wanted it to happen automatically though, as it does in Rockbox (once set up correctly).
How can it be totally automatic and exclude an album if it doesn't know which one you are going to pick manually? and In order?

Well you could export your view with the export button and create a smartlist and import the code. Choose your album. Then right click the created smartlist to add to play.

Btw, If you can right click why can't you click the play button like Jim suggested? confused

stevenkelby

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 07:00:37 am »

Thanks for the reply :)

You don't have to drag anything anywhere. CTRL+A right click Play Options of your choice (add play now or whatever)

Firstly, my projector and stereo in my lounge room gets the signal from my office PC via a hdmi cable for video and a USB cable for audio.

When I'm in the lounge room listening to music or watching a tv show/movie, I do it through my PC and normally use a mouse only, no keyboard (I can use a wireless keyboard if I really want to, but normally do typing/browsing/email back in the office). This has worked perfectly for me for years, much better than any media server etc.

When I turn my projector on it's basically a huge computer monitor.

To restate what I want, I want MC to behave the same as Rockbox on my ipod.

On my Rockbox'ed ipod, I use the file browser (NOT the Database) for the album (or song) that I want to listen to and select it to play, it starts playing immediately.

At the end of that song, Rockbox automatically plays the rest of the songs on that album, then the rest of the songs by that artist, then the rest of the songs on the ipod, all in alphabetical order, the same order they are in with the file browser.

Rockbox call this a dynamic playlist and it happens automatically by default. There is a setting in Rockbox for "auto-change directory" which is set to "yes". This means that ROckbox will auto change to the next folder when it reaches the end of an album or artist.

If "auto-change directory" is set to "no", then Rockbox will just stop when it gets to the end of the current directory, or repeat the current directory, or keep playing the current directory shuffled, depending how you have those options set.

There are of course many other options in Rockbox and ways to use it, all of which I'm familiar with by now and use sometimes, but the above is how I mostly listen. Rockbox can be used the same way as MC, with all the same browsing and playlist options, but it can also be used as described above, I don't think MC can?

I want to be able to use MC like that.

CTRL+A right click Play Options of your choice (add play now or whatever)

Currently I open MC, click on the left side "Audio", then "Albums", then all ~4'000 albums are displayed sorted by Artist in alphabetical order. I click the album I want and select "Play" or "Add (play now)" or go to More Play Options or whatever, none of which can make MC play the album I want and then continue to play all the rest of my library, in order, from the album I selected.

How can it be totally automatic and exclude an album if it doesn't know which one you are going to pick manually? and In order?

I hope I answered that above? Not sure what you mean by "and exclude an album"?

I think the key to is the "Dynamic Playlist" that Rockbox uses, I guess MC has no such feature?

The bottom of page 36 starts explaining the Dynamic Playlist if you're interested:

http://download.rockbox.org/daily/manual/rockbox-ipodvideo.pdf

Well you could export your view with the export button and create a smartlist and import the code. Choose your album. Then right click the created smartlist to add to play.

That takes longer and I have to do it everytime I listen, there are lots of ways I can do what I want, but I want it automatically, like Rockbox :)

Btw, If you can right click why can't you click the play button like Jim suggested? confused

That doesn't help at all. I can't figure out a way to make clicking the play button start playing the album I currently have selected, then automatically continue on playing the rest of the music in my library, in order from where I selected.

Do you think it's possible to do what I want, or can MC not do that?

It's funny that my little portable toy can do it but no media player for the powerful home PC can offer the same functionality, even if it can do far more in other ways. :)

Arindelle

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 10:03:04 am »

by excluded I understood you wanted to play an album and not have it repeat itself.

BTW scrowling to find one album out of 4000 is really a slow thing to do. Might as well do it in windows explorer. MC is a database and you are not really using it as one, maybe? I have about 6000 Cds--thats around 86,000 tracks if I did what you want to do or 251 days at 24hrs per day - not going to do that one often in my lifetime. At 4000 cds you would been over 200+days -- for a days worth of listening not sure if I get what you really want here  

Do you think it's possible to do what I want, or can MC not do that?
Probably ... I'm sorry do not have the time right now to look at your link to understand.

Look at my screenshot -- with right click options; maybe there is a misunderstanding. I do not have an album view but it works the same way.Play one select all and add as next to play -- if that's what you really want

EDIT: I apologize, this is a version 17 board, I'm on 19 -- I do not remember if these right click options existed 2/3 years ago

pdrodliz

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2022, 02:22:14 am »

I think that a "play all" option is what will solve this problem. I have been looking for it but it's not an option in MC29 as of October 8, 2022. Please add this feature in MC30.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2022, 08:13:23 am »

MC will play whatever is selected (or if set to do so, whatever is in the view).   See Tools > Options > General > Behavior for possible settings.

DJLegba

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2022, 08:31:09 am »

Right click on an artist, select More Play Options, select Play (from here)

This will play everything from the current position to the end of the list. It won't play the items above the selected artist, but since you've got a lot of music you're almost certain to stop playback before you hit the end of the list.
Pages: [1]   Go Up