INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice for best codecs / file format to rip blurays to  (Read 6289 times)

jrdiandrea

• Galactic Citizen
Advice for best codecs / file format to rip blurays to
« on: September 04, 2013, 09:40:42 pm »

I am just starting to rip my bluray audio discs & audio from Bluray concert videos. I'm using DVDFab Bluray key & Dvd Audio extractor successfully. Really enjoying the results!

I am now trying to figure out the best way to rip Bluray movies at the best possible audio/video quality.  I plan on using DVDFab Bluray ripper which will convert to many formats but I dont know which is the best option for storage and for playback thru my projector.

I really could use and welcome any advice on the subject of ripping bluray video. The codec issue is the one thing I know I need to determine.

Thx!!

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Advice for best codecs / file format to rip blurays to
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 09:57:03 pm »

If you want 'best quality', just backup the disk (AnyDVD or MakeMKV) and play directly from the playlist files.  Alternatively use MakeMKV to repackage the contents in to an MKV file.  Both give you original quality for both audio and video.  BluRay is already highly (and lossy) compressed and you will lose more quality by transcoding the video and/or audio.   Many BluRay's have noticeable encoding errors once you get about 6' width on a screen, and they become obvious to even untrained viewers at 10' or more width.

If you are just watching them from a small TV sitting across the room (or for portable use), use MakeMKV and then Handbrake to resize/recompress the MKV file.

jrdiandrea

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 10:07:34 pm »

If you want 'best quality', just backup the disk (AnyDVD or MakeMKV) and play directly from the playlist files.  Alternatively use MakeMKV to repackage the contents in to an MKV file.  Both give you original quality for both audio and video.  BluRay is already highly (and lossy) compressed and you will lose more quality by transcoding the video and/or audio.   Many BluRay's have noticeable encoding errors once you get about 6' width on a screen, and they become obvious to even untrained viewers at 10' or more width.

If you are just watching them from a small TV sitting across the room (or for portable use), use MakeMKV and then Handbrake to resize/recompress the MKV file.

Thx fr your reply Bartman. Would you pls explain the difference between ripping and backing up as you suggest?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 10:12:48 pm »

I'd recommend just copying the files off the disc (so use a BDMV structure instead of convert to MKV).

You could try using MC.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jrdiandrea

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 10:35:04 pm »

I'd recommend just copying the files off the disc (so use a BDMV structure instead of convert to MKV).

You could try using MC.

Thx, Matt. Ddnt realize MC was able to do this but should have guessed since it seems features and flexibility are endless. I will try to copy using MC. Other than the faq and wiki is there another instructional resource you might direct me to?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 10:40:00 pm »

You can rip audio and video using Rip Disc in the Action Window of Media Center.

You might need a reader in some cases, but you said you already have Passkey installed.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 11:40:07 pm »

Some of the key question for me is, "what's your quality standard?"

Maxed out? Then for the software you've already got, this could help:
http://www.dvdfab.com/faq/?type=blu_ray_ripper#faq_2
You could use Matt's and BartMan's suggestions and do a results comparison. If there's no difference, then go with the easiest method.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

jrdiandrea

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 07:05:07 am »

Some of the key question for me is, "what's your quality standard?"

Maxed out? Then for the software you've already got, this could help:
http://www.dvdfab.com/faq/?type=blu_ray_ripper#faq_2
You could use Matt's and BartMan's suggestions and do a results comparison. If there's no difference, then go with the easiest method.

Fair question. I guess my best answer is that I want to achieve identical A/V reproduction of the film from the file as I would using the disc. I don't know if that is possible but I will try both methods & see what results I get.

Thx for the link, Astromo.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 07:22:33 am »

If space isn't an issue I'd do what Matt suggested but if you want to save space I would use Handbrake. Nightly builds have support for subtitles as well.

jrdiandrea

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 07:27:00 am »

If space isn't an issue I'd do what Matt suggested but if you want to save space I would use Handbrake. Nightly builds have support for subtitles as well.

Ok, great. I have a Synology Diskstation 1812+ with about 18TB of usable storage so at this time space isn't an issue. Thx

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 10:53:31 pm »

Thx fr your reply Bartman. Would you pls explain the difference between ripping and backing up as you suggest?

Either a huge difference, or none depending on how you define 'ripping'.  I commonly see 'ripping' used in the context of compressing the data as it is copied off of the disk (such as 'rip to MP3').  If your goal is 'highest quality' then you don't want any transcoding of the content from the compressed version on the disk to another differently compressed version, you want a bit-perfect copy of what is on the original media.  The two easiest ways I know to get that are either MakeMKV or AnyDVD.  AnyDVD will either create an .iso or copy your data to your drive in the same folder structure on the disk.  MakeMKV will either backup your media (same as AnyDVD copy to disk), or repackage it to an MKV keeping the full original quality.

JRiver Media Center can handle a folder structure copy/backup/rip - so space no issue that would be my first choice.

If space is minor concern, use MakeMKV to pull out just the parts you care about to MKV files - stripping out languages, audio tracks, foreign subtitles, ads, previews, special features, etc. that you don't want.

It looks like DVD Fab also copies the data in original quality, but I really know nothing about that tool.  Just don't pick any options that 'compress' the data, stick to the 1:1 quality functions.

Pages: [1]   Go Up