INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't remove broken link from my list  (Read 2552 times)

elite

• Recent member
Can't remove broken link from my list
« on: September 06, 2013, 02:49:10 am »

Dear,
On Ver 19 (music files) I got a broken link showing my old disk and I can't get rid of it, I've tried help manual but it doesn't improved anything, does anybody know how to fix it?.

Fix broken links - What is "Protect Network Files"?
In the options under the Library & Folders settings for Auto-Import Folders, there is an option for Fix broken links. There are three options:
 No
 Yes
 Yes (protect network files)
What do these options mean, especially protect network files?
1. No:
Doesn't automatically remove anything.
2. Yes:

Ran

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Can't remove broken link from my list
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 10:51:04 am »

MC tracks its internal references to external files in its database/Library's Filename field.

Since this is a file path to the actual media, and local disks or network discs can come and go, MC gives you the options for how to treat these events.  It can't reliably make the choices for you, since there is no way to distinguish a removed file from a now-unattached local disk or unavailable network file system.

So when MC notices that a file is not available, it can:

1. Ignore the fact that the file is missing and not remove the internal file reference
   2. Remove the internal reference, period
   3. Remove the internal reference but not if the file is on a remote file system

You can select any file entries in MC and press Delete to remove them from the Library (use the first option in the dialog that appears).
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

DV8

• Junior Woodchuck
  • My Karma ran over my Dogma
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 12:48:08 pm »

I have a similar problem with broken links not being removed from library.
For some reason, almost my entire library has 2, 3, or 4 entries for every song. However, only ONE of them actually has a link to the actual network server with the real song. The rest of the links are broken. Furthermore, this problem appears to be growing. i.e. more broken or non-existing links are being added over time.

I have re-configured auto-import and unchecked Everything except Fix Broken Links Yes. Since all my music is on network drives, that apprers to be the correct choice not the protect files on missing drives options.  I run auto-import and the broken links are still there.
Nothing is resolved.

My playback keeps crashing as MC19 tries to play non-existing links.
I have tried manually deleting the bad links from the library and that works. That isn't an option for all of the library as I have a very big library.

One last item is that this is a new system with a restored library. I backed up the old library and restored to new system with all the network drives having same drive letters on new system as old. It worked very well and everything was initially fine. This problem started some time after the new system started and it is getting worse as more broken links are being added.

What's wrong here? Am I doing something wrong is auto-import not working properly.

MrC

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 12:50:25 pm »

What are the full paths to one of those duplicates?

DV8

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 01:23:07 pm »

That's just it. There are no paths to the duplicate library entries. Only one of the library entries has a proper path and Filename. The rest point to nowhere.

MrC

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 01:34:03 pm »

So you're saying the Filename field is empty for some of the files?

DV8

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 01:44:25 pm »

That is correct. I would have thought fix broken links would see that and eliminate those entries from library.

I have been poking around some more and the typical situation is that there are 3 entries on average for every song in my library. It seems fairly consistent that:
1 of the library entries has the proper tags and proper Filename and if selected will play properly
1 of the library entries has the proper tags and no Filename and won't play (understandably)
1 of the library entries has the song name missing from tags (but album and year and artist are there) and won't play

As another point, one of the ways I sort my music is Artist -Year - Album
The Album and year on the left hand drop down are working properly. They have the year and album only once. When you look into the album, you find the 3 song entries as described above.

MrC

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 04:46:39 pm »

I don't believe under normal circumstances* the Filename field should ever be empty.  I recall a few others indicating they have some entries where Filename is empty, and it was being investigated.  Probably someone from JRiver will ask for more info.

* it is possible via MPL to import an Item without a Filename field, but users typically won't do this.

DV8

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 10:19:19 pm »

I guess this isn't a 'normal' circumstance then.
I don't know what MPL is and have never explicitly used it.

What do I do now? Can I send someone an extract or log file or something to sort this out?

DV8

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 10:04:59 pm »

I haven't heard anything back on this problem.
I can't use MC18 due to all the incorrect library fields with no path to the real music.
How can I correct this?

MrC

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 10:11:51 pm »

Try making a backup of the library (File > Library > Back Up Library) in case one of the developers requests it for examination.

After that, you can use Search to show only files with an empty Filename, and select them to delete.

DV8

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2013, 03:10:23 am »

Fixed.
Well I did as suggested.
Searched every library entry and manually deleted all the ones without a path to a file.
Then I tried auto-import. It took a long time, hung a couple of times, but eventually sorted itself out and eventually all the library entries are linked to path names.
Everything working now.
I still don't understand why it couldn't fix the broken and missing links itself. Too Many broken or missing links? How did they get there in the first place?
Pages: [1]   Go Up