INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Missing thumbnail icons in File view (Audio)  (Read 5663 times)

Airfla

• Junior Woodchuck
Missing thumbnail icons in File view (Audio)
« on: September 12, 2013, 04:18:23 pm »

I have JRiver installed on my desktop where the Main Library is stored - primarily for ease of editing metadata - and on my CAPS music server, where it shares the library. For some reason, despite running Auto Import and Build Missing Thumbnails several times on the CAPS machine, almost none of the album art icons are displayed in File view under Audio. All the icons are displayed on the desktop. Auto Import is configured to "Get cover art" and "Build thumbnails" on both computers. How can I get them to display on the machine that shares the library?  

kensn

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Missing thumbnail icons in File view (Audio)
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 04:42:22 pm »

What type of audio files are they. Some formats support embedded Artwork, some do not and are stored beside the audio file as a seperate file.

ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

Airfla

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 06:42:34 pm »

They are virtually all the same format, i.e. flac, the best format for metadata. I don't understand why all the thumbnails display on the PC with the Main Library but not on the one with the Shared library. I'm new to J River and I don't know if there are settings I have to change in the version of J River using the shared library to get those small thumbnails to display.

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 09:43:41 pm »

First I would try to see if the tag window shows the cover art. I think this will show if the cover art is embedded in the file . Pick a song that shows cover art on your CAPs machine and highlight it by single clicking on the file in standard view, then click on Tag in the Action window in the lower left. See if at top of the Tag window if the cover art shows there. Then repeat the process with a file that does not show your cover art.

Just a stab in the dark, but may it be that just MP3s or another format besides the FLAC are showing cover art?

Ken

Airfla

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 05:33:25 am »

On the CAPS machine, the cover art displays for all files, regardless of format, in both the Album and Artist views. It is only in the File view that the small thumbnail cover art does not appear - music notes are displayed instead. The few instances where the thumbnail does appear are for files in exactly the same format as almost all the other files. I don't have any MP3 files in my library. Why should there be any difference in what is displayed on the two machines when they are supposed to be sharing the same library? All the thumbnails appear in the File view on the machine where the Main Library is stored.

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 09:04:52 am »

Since some do work in the file list, I would search for a difference in the files. Are you sure the cover art is embedded into all the files? Did you try my suggestion above?

I am afarid I am at a loss at this point, maybe someone else might have an idea.

Ken

Airfla

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 10:46:42 am »

In Album view and Artist view, the cover art always shows in the tag window. In File view, those files which show a thumbnail display cover art in the tag window and those that show only music note do not - exactly what you would expect. But, from the same album, some tracks display the thumbnail and others do not. The question remains. Why is this happening and why is it happening only on the CAPS machine? More importantly, how do I fix it?

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 10:52:15 am »

Tools > Options > File Location > Cover Art

Is the box checked to Also store image in the file's tag?

Airfla

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 02:53:37 pm »

Yes, it is. I just determined that if I right click on any file and click "Rebuild thumbnail", the thumbnail is displayed. However, it would take me forever and a day to do this for every file that is missing a thumbnail. Is there a way to do this in one step? I can tell you that Tools > Options> Tree & View> Thumbnails > Build missing thumbnails... does not accomplish this.

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 03:37:40 pm »

You can select multiple files in a list and right click to update thumbnails for all of them. Might take a bit to complete.

Ken

Airfla

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 03:55:29 pm »

Thank you very much for your help and your patience. Selecting a list is a lot better than one at a time. It may not be the easiest solution but at least it is a solution. 

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 04:08:55 pm »

I am glad it all worked out.....

I would do a manual Library backup when done also... It's just a good habit to get into after making major changes.

Ken

Airfla

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 05:03:48 pm »

Well, it took a while but it's done. The first thing I did after completing the job was to back up the library.  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up