INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using JRiver with 12V trigger to control on/off state of AV equipment  (Read 6214 times)

• Recent member

I've searched for (but not found) a USB device that would turn on my amps via 12v trigger when JRiver plays and then turn them off a short time after JRiver finishes.
Or even something less sophisticated that would detect when the computer is on and turn on the amps, then turn them off when the computer turns off.

Does anyone know of a device like this? Would JRiver consider making this? It would be a very cool addition to an audio set up.
Was  Fanless PC :: PS Audio NWD :: Emotiva XPA-1L Monoblocks :: B&W CM9
Now  HiFiBerry / DAC+ Pro with IdPi  ::  Niles Audio SI-250 :: B&W CM9
No difference as far as I can tell.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Using JRiver with 12V trigger to control on/off state of AV equipment
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 07:51:45 am »

I use these:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003P2UMQ2

They work a treat: when the device connected to the main socket turns off (the computer), the power to all the other sockets get's cut after a few seconds, and same for turn on.

dean70

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 06:58:34 pm »

I did look at these a while ago: http://www.francisav.com/relay_controllers.htm

Haven't got around to rigging something up yet, but should not be too difficult to rig something up to switch the PC 12v PSU line as a remote software controlled trigger.

edit: they now have Ethernet and WiFi controlled relays & a basic Android app is available to control the relays via TCP/IP. Only requires a 12v wall-wart power supply to run.

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 08:27:32 pm »

Thank you both for your replies. Unfortunately the amps power on to standby. This seems to be a design feature since it is referenced in the manual. The relay controllers look like an interesting DIY project.
I think I'll try feeding the 12V from the motherboard fan connector directly into the trigger input on the amps. A couple of people claim to have done this successfully here:
   https://www.avforums.com/threads/turning-on-power-amp-via-pc-12v.396700/

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 10:49:46 pm »

Just wanted to add a note that this does actually work. Only the 2nd wire on the fan cable is required, and this gets connected to a mono audio jack as shown. I mounted the audio jack into a pre-made hole in the case intended for a wireless antenna. 

Once connected its all ready for the AV Trigger cable.

Note: that the bios setting for the particular fan connector you used should be set to Full On to ensure a constant supply of 12V during computer operation.

Pages: [1]   Go Up