INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: keeping tags in sync between different formats of songs  (Read 2397 times)

cascius

• Galactic Citizen
keeping tags in sync between different formats of songs
« on: September 13, 2013, 04:33:32 pm »

Hi everybody, it's been a long time, but I've started using JR again and I still love it!

So here's my struggle:
I have all my CDs ripped in lossless M4A format, and for playback I use the following:
- iPod Classic (No conversion)
- Google Play (Auto conversion to MP3 320kbps from Google Music Manager)
- SONOS (No conversion)

The problem that I currently have is that Google Play does not do a terrific job at using M4A tags.  Often I end up with albums without cover arts, which pisses me off as I'm very anal with my tags/covers. ;)

Of course I've also tried batch converting everything to MP3 (with dbpoweramp but I could have used MC I guess) and then re-upload to Google Music.  The problem is that then whenever I modify a tag on the M4A, that change is not reflected to the MP3...

So here are my questions:
1. Is there any tool/way to keep tags synchronized between two versions?
2. Is anyone else dealing with Google Music and suffering from similar problems?  If so do you have any pro tips?

I actually have more questions but I think i'll restrain myself for now lol.

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks,

- Olivier

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: keeping tags in sync between different formats of songs
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 04:52:03 pm »

Have you tried converting via MC using a virtual handheld?
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

cascius

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 05:13:27 pm »

That is just brilliant!  I just did a quick test and it seems to work wonders! :)

Now I need to look into this a bit more.  From what I just saw it seems to also convert my smart-playlists to regular m3u playlist.... WOW! :)

Here's another question:  I would love it if this could automatically update the device anytime I make a change to a file.  For example right now I'm only syncing my 4-5 stars playlist.  I just rated a few more songs and it doesnt' automatically sync the device, I have to press "Sync now".  Is there anyway to automate that?  (If not it's not a huge deal...)

But so far awesome suggestion MrC!

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 05:18:47 pm »

There is an Auto-sync on connect setting, which I've never tried for a folder-based, virtual handheld.  I doubt it has any effect unless the file system resides on removable media.

So, yes, a manual Sync Now is required.  And unfortunately, there is not automated way to start a sync.  While there is an MCC command to start a sync, it only works for the first defined device, and you don't have control over this.  Other users and myself have clamored for the ability to specify the handheld as a parameter to this command.  Until then, press Sync Now.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

cascius

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 05:23:35 pm »

There is an Auto-sync on connect setting, which I've never tried for a folder-based, virtual handheld.  I doubt it has any effect unless the file system resides on removable media.

So, yes, a manual Sync Now is required.  And unfortunately, there is not automated way to start a sync.  While there is an MCC command to start a sync, it only works for the first defined device, and you don't have control over this.  Other users and myself have clamored for the ability to specify the handheld as a parameter to this command.  Until then, press Sync Now.

Makes sense.  It really isn't a big deal at all in all honestly.  I guess I was just trying to see how lazy I could get. ;)

Thanks for all the help, problem solved!

- Olivier
Pages: [1]   Go Up