INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Migrating to a new Computer  (Read 1579 times)

mkelly

• Recent member
Migrating to a new Computer
« on: September 14, 2013, 05:07:26 pm »

I just bought a new computer and have transferred all my music to the new one.
How can I "export" my JRiver metadata to the new computer. For instance, I had tweaked all the metadata....composer, album names in the original computer and want to make sure I have all the changes in the new one.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Migrating to a new Computer
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 05:20:59 pm »

mkelly

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 10:33:26 pm »

Thanks for the info.... But I have moved the files (I.e. music) to the new computer where there is another install of JRiver , but the changes I made within JRiver ( in the old computer) to the tag/ metadata don't move with the files.  So I am trying to figure out how to move the tag data from the old to new computer

whatsup

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 03:41:25 am »

there going to need to know what type of files they are, flac, wav, mp3, ogg. most files save the tags within the file itself but it depends on the type of file, so if u moved the files the tags went with most likely. video files on the other hand are a different story. if u backed up jrmc on your old pc and named ur new pc drives the same as ur old one u could also use the backup for ur tweeks to jrmc itself.

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 05:15:24 am »

there going to need to know what type of files they are, flac, wav, mp3, ogg. most files save the tags within the file itself but it depends on the type of file, so if u moved the files the tags went with most likely. video files on the other hand are a different story. if u backed up MC on your old pc and named ur new pc drives the same as ur old one u could also use the backup for ur tweeks to MC itself.

Yes even if you have changed your paths you can restore the backup from the old PC to include your settings too. If you have changed the path names you can use the rename/move library command to "repoint" the database to the new locations and you will get all your tags back. (see Jim's recommendation in the wiki

I'd recommend that you make sure you have MC writing the tags to the file though just in case you get a corrupt library backup your tags will not be lost.

mkelly

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 09:59:47 pm »

Thanks guys...I backed up the 'library' and then copied the backup to the new computer and restored it there...seemed to work.
I guess it help to ask the right question!
Pages: [1]   Go Up