INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Weird bug regarding SSA/ASS subtitles cutting off last character  (Read 3562 times)

Landozelig

• Recent member
Weird bug regarding SSA/ASS subtitles cutting off last character
« on: September 18, 2013, 01:16:50 am »

I'm using the latest version of MC18 (18.0.212).

MC18 cuts off the last character of some advanced SubSpace Alpha subtitles.

I use Aeigsub to control the font, size, color, outline, shadow and positioning of all my subtitles. Using VLC for years I had no problems, but when I got MC18 and play those same movies/TV shows in MC18, the subtitles are very tiny. I've been working all night on figuring out how to get nice subtitles for both players and I have succeeded. So now I need to redo all my movies and TV shows, but I'm OK with that.

The first one I do is an episode of Breaking Bad that I ripped from my blu-ray collection (S2 E7 if you're interested). The episode starts out with a song in Spanish, and I'm noticing some words are being cut off. Mexico becomes Mexic, meth becomes met, face becomes fac, and so on. The words are perfect in Aeigsub, no hidden characters and it shows correctly in VLC. So I just spent a few more hours trying to narrow down what is causing this.

What it has to do with is the \N (newline) escape character. The following is a line from the subtitle file:

The city's called Duke\NThe state's called New Mexico

When this is shown as a subtitle, it is displayed like this:

The city's called Duke
The state's called New Mexic

It cuts off the 'o' in Mexico. Now if you put a space before the \N, it displays the 'o' in Mexico. But it's not as cut and dry as that. Some other lines with no space before the \N work fine.

I am attaching a test subtitle file with 14 subtitle lines repeated twice for 5 seconds each. The first time the subtitle is show, it is in pink and does not have a space before the \N - then the same subtitle is repeated in gold with a space before the \N. You will notice that some lines display correctly and some don't. I'm hoping that with this test file you will be able to look at the code for displaying subtitles and be able to squash this bug rather quickly.

I have also noticed that MC18 totally ignores the vertical margin, outline and shadow properties of the subtitles. I hope you can address these in a future update. Thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Weird bug regarding SSA/ASS subtitles cutting off last character
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 08:30:49 am »

Thanks for the sample.  I'll follow-up after investigating.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 08:37:44 am »

I've tried MC18 and MC19, and both are showing the full second line.  In other words, I see the 'o' on 'New Mexico'.

I wonder if using a special subtitle text font or a custom size in Options > Video might be related?  Is it possible you're using a size that's so large it won't all fit on the movie?  Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 08:55:44 am »

I'll add support for specific margins to the next build of MC19.

I'm assuming the margin values are in pixels relative to the source video resolution. 

Any testing appreciated once the build is public (probably later this week).
Pages: [1]   Go Up