INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Media Center 19 Mac Special Price for Upgrades  (Read 49755 times)

shawtimothy

• Recent member
Re: JRiver Media Center 19 Mac Pre-release Special Price for Upgrades
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2013, 12:08:45 pm »

I'm confused. MC 18 lacks some features that are standard in the Windows version. For example, I cannot drag & drop songs from iTunes. It also lacks a Mac-looking interface (menus, in particular, are Windows-like).

My expectation in purchasing MC 18 was that these features that are already a part of the Windows product would be included, if not right away, then ultimately, in the version or its updates. Likewise it was my expectation that the product would feel like a Mac product, not a Windows one. That also has not happened in MC 18.

Instead of this, it sounds like you (JRiver) are done with adding features to MC 18 that already exist in the Windows version. It sounds like, if I want more of these features, or if I want a product that actually feels genuinely Mac-like, then I must upgrade to MC 19. And even then, I'm not clear as to what features that already exist within the Windows product, or what features that would make it more genuinely Mac-like but are presently excluded, would NOT be included in MC 19. Hence, I'm unclear how many more upgrades I'll be asked to pay for, in order to actually get the product I was originally expecting - one that is actually equivalent to the Windows version, but genuinely Mac-like in its layout and functionality.

Would you (JRiver) be willing to clarify for me your intention with respect to further development on MC 18, and on your roadmap for when and under what version of MC you will actually incorporate all of the existing Windows features and a genuine Mac-like feel?

Thank you.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2013, 02:14:58 pm »

MC18 won't change much now.  Are you using 18.0.218? 

Your expectations may not match what we said we would do. 

shawtimothy

• Recent member
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2013, 04:25:42 pm »

Thank you for your reply.

Perhaps I missed a declaration up-front of what MC 18 for Mac was intended to be, ultimately. Is there a public post or article from back then (pre-release of the alpha version) that you can point me to?

I'm also still wanting to hear what your product development roadmap is for the Mac version: what features of the current Windows version will be included and excluded from MC 19 for Mac? At what version do you anticipate parity with the feature set of the Windows version, or at least to be including all of the features currently now included in the Windows version, ALONG WITH a genuinely Mac look & feel?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2013, 04:39:00 pm »

I'm also still wanting to hear what your product development roadmap is for the Mac version: what features of the current Windows version will be included and excluded from MC 19 for Mac? At what version do you anticipate parity with the feature set of the Windows version, or at least to be including all of the features currently now included in the Windows version, ALONG WITH a genuinely Mac look & feel?

You might read the posts from JRiver earlier in this thread.

Like this one about the UI:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=83321.msg568801#msg568801

Or this one about scope and waiting until you're happy to upgrade:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=83321.msg568848#msg568848

etc.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2013, 06:33:32 pm »

... ALONG WITH a genuinely Mac look & feel?
Depending on what you want, it could be never.  We'll do the things we believe are important.  Apple itself makes changes in its official look from time to time.  We're not going to try to follow every change they make.

Philthy

• Recent member
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2013, 10:11:12 pm »

Is video expected for MC19? I am perfectly happy with everything audio related since the DAC issues got straightened out. Now I just have a pile of videos in various formats that I'd like to be able to play. I was expecting this to be a part of MC18, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over this. You have delivered more for less as it stands, so I wont have too much of a problem tossing more money for MC19 if it adds all the video features.

shawtimothy

• Recent member
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2013, 12:05:51 pm »

One feature that I need is dragging & dropping of songs from iTunes. It's not clear to me if/when you'll offer this feature. A feature I want is access to my iTunes playlists from within MC, or an easy path to carry them over (dragging & dropping would work).

You might read the posts from JRiver earlier in this thread.

Like this one about the UI:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=83321.msg568801#msg568801

Or this one about scope and waiting until you're happy to upgrade:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=83321.msg568848#msg568848

etc.

I'm inferring from what I've seen posted, that you don't have a detailed roadmap for the product development path (e.g. you anticipated incorporating CD ripping in MC 18, but abandoned this when it proved too complicated), and so I can't upgrade now in anticipation of what features MC 19 will include. I'm being offered to either upgrade now and take my chances on what MC 19 will actually incorporate, or wait until you have a version with the feature set I can accept before considering a purchase.

Our scope for MC18 was audio playback and Media Network.

I wish this and the further details that are only recently apparent, had been clearer to me up-front. 

Scetes

• Recent member
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2013, 06:55:46 pm »

i'm sure it was stated clearly for me to read when I purchased jriver mc for mac, but didn't realize the license model is that major upgrades come with a full price tag.  existing customers get a discount by way of the early bird special, but that's probably a discretionary offer.  that is, no guarantee that when mc 20 comes out that I'll be offered an early bird special.  correct? 

not a bad price in the grand scheme of things.  but have one question.  if I want to skip mc 19 altogether and wait for mc 20...would i be eligible for said early bird special assuming one is offered? or, early bird specials are afforded to holders of most recent release?
Wyred4Sound DAC2, Focal powered CMS monitors and sub, Pioneer PD-65 for CD transport, Pioneer TX-7500 Tuner

JohnT

« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2013, 08:25:41 am »

i'm sure it was stated clearly for me to read when I purchased jriver mc for mac, but didn't realize the license model is that major upgrades come with a full price tag.  existing customers get a discount by way of the early bird special, but that's probably a discretionary offer.  that is, no guarantee that when mc 20 comes out that I'll be offered an early bird special.  correct? 

not a bad price in the grand scheme of things.  but have one question.  if I want to skip mc 19 altogether and wait for mc 20...would i be eligible for said early bird special assuming one is offered? or, early bird specials are afforded to holders of most recent release?

Major upgrades aren't full price, they're generally $26.98 USD, full price is generally $49.98.
Early bird specials are generally for license holders of any previous version, not just the most recent.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Oksana

• Recent member
« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2013, 11:36:09 pm »

I've been purchasing MC for my PC, but I'd like to use it on my Macbook. Is there any discount off of full retail for a person who has purchased a PC license?

bryanttrew

• Recent member
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2013, 05:58:59 am »

With JRiver dumping MC18 so quickly, my beta testing price of MC18 $29.99 + the upgrade price to MC19 $14.99 means I've pretty much been paying forward for the full price MC19.  

yetirider

• Recent member
« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2013, 05:03:31 am »

I think eventually we will end up paying more than full price by time the updates are released for more money.
I don't know of any software companies that offer a new releases with a health warning that it could be more unstable than the previous release.

I paid for the upgrade and will wait a while, after that I'm waiting for a complete product.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up