INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AMD announces new GPUs  (Read 2475 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
AMD announces new GPUs
« on: September 25, 2013, 06:35:56 pm »

http://www.techpowerup.com/191453/amd-gpu14-event-detailed-announces-radeon-r9-290x.html

I'm happy to see lots of mention of 4K.  It's sad that Amazon's new 9" tablet has more pixels than most premium desktop monitors.  So it'd be nice to see 4K on monitors and projectors at affordable prices soon.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Re: AMD announces new GPUs
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 01:59:17 am »

I wonder if AMD have sorted out their frame presentation yet. They have made some good improvements in recent driver versions, but they're still far behind Nvidia.

It's also interesting to see that the first generation of cards which have been announced since we knew the console hardware specs, have less VRAM.
The PS4 has 8GB GDDR, with 5GB allocated for games. The top-end card here has 4GB VRAM.

It's sad that Amazon's new 9" tablet has more pixels than most premium desktop monitors.
Well that's nothing new, mobile devices have had more resolution than PC monitors for years now.

So it'd be nice to see 4K on monitors and projectors at affordable prices soon.
The thing is, it's not actually expensive to build a 4K display - they are intentionally pricing them as "premium" products. You can get a 55" 4K display for what $700 now? But only if you buy a no-name Chinese brand. If you want it from one of the established companies, expect to pay upwards of $3500.

The display industry is in need of a real shake-up, but I don't know that anything is going to do that. Now they're looking to OLED to push higher prices on everyone again.
I have a premium LCD from Sony, and while it was worthwhile at the time, it's sorely lacking in resolution and I'm not prepared to pay $4000 again for worse image quality, but more resolution. (all the current 4K displays are edge-lit LED now)

rjm

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 02:05:08 am »

Probability of a display defect is proportional to the glass size and inversely proportional to the pixel size.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 03:59:50 am »

Now they're looking to OLED to push higher prices on everyone again.

And the sad thing is is that OLED is a lot cheaper to produce.

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 05:56:53 am »

And the sad thing is is that OLED is a lot cheaper to produce.
Well theoretically it could be cheaper to produce. Right now it's a lot more expensive than LCD.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 03:51:20 pm »

If you want it from one of the established companies, expect to pay upwards of $3500.
I was shopping for a washer/dryer on Monday and the store had a Sony XBR-X900 84" LED with 4K resolution for $24,999! It sure looked nice, though.

bulldogger

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 09:29:17 am »

"While the company isn't revealing full specifications, it claims that the R9 290X flagship will have five teraflops of total computing power versus the four teraflops of the previous generation." http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/25/amd-unveils-radeon-r9-and-r7-video-cards/  Pre-orders start in Oct.
Pages: [1]   Go Up