INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: How to Purchase an Upgrade  (Read 24859 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
How to Purchase an Upgrade
« on: September 27, 2013, 06:36:17 pm »

If you already own JRiver Media Center for Mac 18.0, you can download MC19 and install it.  It will ask you to upgrade and the price should be $14.98.

Thanks for considering an upgrade.

More
Alternate Purchase Method

Restoring a License

ellen

• Recent member
Re: How to Purchase an Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 12:12:22 am »

If you already own JRiver Media Center for Mac 18.0, you can download MC19 and install it.  It will ask you to upgrade and the price should be $14.98.

More

Restoring a License

is it possible to have a good offer to upgrade MC19 for both of Mac and PC version???

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 06:42:32 am »

No.  Each OS is separate.  Sorry.

Max Delissen

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 11:10:24 am »

When I first bought MediaCenter for Mac 18 in April 2013 it was still pretty much in it's experimental stage, with a lot of functions not working yet. But I know a lot of happy MC for Windows users, so I thought I should give the Mac version a try and see what it develops into. I made use of the 'early adopter' discount, and paid $35. I was promised a 'permanent license' for MediaCenter. That's also what it says in the conformational I got after payment: Permanent proof of purchase.

Now that Media Center 19 has arrived, I had to actually buy a new (additional) license. Okay, it's not very expensive, but it's not exactly 'permanent' either. Of all the software I have bought for my Mac, JRiver MC is actually the fist one that asks for an additional payment for a new (=higher) and upgraded version. Hm...

It looks like MC19 is much further developed than MC18, so it should be much more fun to use. MC18 wasn't very much fun to be honest. Some annoying things kept going wrong and even the 'stable' versions proved to be a bit shaky. So it also looks like my early payment for MC18 has helped the development of MC19, without giving me much in return. I'm not against investing, but one of the things one expects from an investment is a return. Which I honestly feel I didn't quite get.

I think I should have been told explicitly that the license I got was for a single version. I honestly can't remember reading about it back then either. If I'm mistaken about this (which I hope), please let me know what I'm doing wrong, because adding my old license key (the one I get after 'renewing' my license) only to see the pop up message that my license is no longer valid really p•sses me off...

The development of MC19 took about 6 months after I bought MC18. Does that mean that I can expect another new purchase of MC20 in another 6 months or so?

I did pay the extra money for MC19, and I intend to keep using it, because it finally looks like it's turning into a very promising (and good sounding) audio platform on the Mac, but this licensing business is something I have trouble with getting used to... Can someone please elaborate?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 02:02:52 pm »

Here's how JRiver's development and upgrade process works:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=81987.0

In the end, it is up to you whether to spend money or not.  We do appreciate it when people support our work.

Max Delissen

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 04:00:19 pm »

Here's how JRiver's development and upgrade process works:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=81987.0

In the end, it is up to you whether to spend money or not.  We do appreciate it when people support our work.

That was a quick response and a useful link, thank you!

Even if my grumpy 'first post' may suggest otherwise, I do appreciate your work and the effort it takes to develop software. The semi-permanent license construction will be something I need to get my head around, but 11 dollars a year is very reasonable for a decent upgrade.

Please allow a suggestion. For even if I was grumpy before, I meant good... : As far as I know, semi-continuous licensing (or semi-permanent or whatever anyone would like to call it) is a bit more common in the Windows/PC community than it is in the Apple/Mac community. Therefore, it might be a good idea to mention the financial part of the upgrade-path a bit earlier in the ordering process (for the Mac version anyway), preferably somewhere at the start.

It's perfectly fine to charge for an upgrade as long as it's a small 'fee' for a substantial upgrade. Like many others, I am someone who doesn't scrutinize the 'small print', but I still like to know these things before I order.

On the positive side: I really like MC19 For Mac so far. It's a big leap forward from MC18 For Mac

Max Delissen

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 09:36:37 am »

Hi,

Something strange happened today. 4 days ago, I purchased the upgrade license for MC18>MC19. I paid for it (PayPal notification to show for that), installed the new unlock key that I received in my mailbox (made sure it was really the NEW one), and started listening to great music with great sound. But today MC19 quite unexpectedly warned me that I had 13 days left in my trial. So I had to unlock it again, and I promptly received an email that I have 9 out of 10 restores left for the next 12 months. If this happens every 14 days, I will not be able to use MC19 for more than 5 months. Hm...

I'm sure something went wrong, and it was probably something I did myself. But I can't figure out what it was I did wrong. Can you please help?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 09:39:55 am »

Maybe you also had an older version installed? 

If you run out of restores, we can reset them.  Use the full 30 day trial period to extend them.

Max Delissen

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 10:16:52 am »

Aha!

Yes, I still had MC18 installed. I deleted it completely just now, and we'll see what happens. Thanks again!

By the way: excellent response time ;) ...

nathan_berg

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 03:03:51 am »

HI There,

How long will dev of JR MC19 run before moving unto MC20, assuming thats the path?
 :-\

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 07:13:20 am »

Please read the wiki topic called "Updates".  At the bottom is a link to a post about "Business Model".  It explains how JRiver works.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2013, 06:09:44 pm »

I have MC18 for Mac installed and running, for several months now.  After installing MC19 and opening the Buy License page from the menu, it shows the full price of $49.98.  How can I purchase it at the upgrade price?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2013, 10:27:28 pm »

Try restoring your license.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2013, 04:48:58 pm »

Worked!

coxkevin

• Recent member
  • Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2013, 09:52:12 pm »

In this location (http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Upgrade_to_MC19) you say, "If you purchased MC18 after July 1, 2013, the license you received is an MC19 license that works with both MC18 and MC19. You can just install MC19. It will find your old data and convert it."  I purchased Media Center 19 on July 15, 2013 - does the same offer apply?  If so, how do I install the license on the Mac version?
"Always listen to the experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."  
-- Lazarus Long

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2013, 10:47:48 pm »

That applies only to the Windows version.  The Mac version is a separate license.

Yorkwhite

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2013, 08:46:43 am »

Hi

I have an early version of 18 for Mac which is missing lots of options compared to my Windows version. For instance, in Options on my Mac the only option listed is Audio and within that core audio or null audio.

Before I pay for 19 can you tell me if it has a full set of options now, please?

Thanks

JohnT

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2013, 11:16:52 am »

Hi

I have an early version of 18 for Mac which is missing lots of options compared to my Windows version. For instance, in Options on my Mac the only option listed is Audio and within that core audio or null audio.

Before I pay for 19 can you tell me if it has a full set of options now, please?

Thanks
The other audio options you see on Windows are "Windows only" type features (WASAPI, ASIO, Kernel streaming, etc.), Core Audio on the Mac is a bit-perfect output method.  Except for optical disk playback/ripping, the Media Center audio feature set on Mac is equivalent to our Windows product.  
Image, video, and Theater View support are not in the Mac product.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

hmasoni

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2013, 10:14:30 am »

I purchased the MC 19 upgrade from MC 18 on 4 November and received and email from JRiver confirming the purchase and providing the new Registration Code.

PROBLEM is that every time i open up MC19, i get the dialogue box asking me if i want to purchase and now indication i have 3 DAYS left before my "trial period" expires.  What is the problem - i don't want to lose MC 19 and the library that i have populated it with!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2013, 10:17:18 am »

I purchased the MC 19 upgrade from MC 18 on 4 November and received and email from JRiver confirming the purchase and providing the new Registration Code.

PROBLEM is that every time i open up MC19, i get the dialogue box asking me if i want to purchase and now indication i have 3 DAYS left before my "trial period" expires.  What is the problem - i don't want to lose MC 19 and the library that i have populated it with!

Just enter your MC19 Mac code in the program.  It starts with JX.

Thanks for upgrading.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

koesper

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2013, 04:23:12 am »

Any thoughts on how long MC19 will be actively supported?

I bought MC18 in june for $44.98 and I can tell you that i'm more than slightly disappointed that MC18 was abandoned a month after my purchase...
Although i appreciate the 'upgrade price' for MC19, it still sucks that i missed the free upgrade to MC19 by 2 weeks...

I'm not gonna buy MC19 if MC20 is already around the corner.

The software is turning out really nice, but it still needs a lot of work before i'll consider throwing in more of my hard earned cash.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2013, 06:53:45 am »

We're about half way through this cycle.  They usually last about a year.

You might find this useful:

JRiver's Business Model

saisunil

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2013, 09:56:38 am »

In all fairness, there should be a discounted price for Mac/PC software bundle for the same user

bigdur

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2013, 09:05:49 am »

I am having a problem in that I put in my install key and it says it was accepted but then if I close down MC and reopen it asks for it again (reverts back to trial) and knocks another off my restores, I'm down to my last 3 now. Help!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2013, 09:34:06 am »

The version of the program and the license must be the same.  Here's more:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Restoring_a_License

bigdur

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2013, 12:47:37 pm »

I tried re-installing 18 and it's the same.

bigdur

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2013, 12:58:13 pm »

Great, tried it again, only 1 restore left. Why is there no email contact available for support? I'm extremely frustrated unfortunately.

bigdur

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2013, 01:04:07 pm »

I even tried this.
https://rover.jriver.com/cgi-bin/restore.cgi

Still doesn't work, when I open media server I get the box stating that my trial period has expired.

rminkin

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2013, 01:39:57 pm »

I Just downloaded MC 19 for mac. It asks me to buy but does not offer an upgrade option? Do I use the old registration code?
Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2013, 01:54:57 pm »

MC19 for Mac requires an MC19 for Mac license.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2013, 01:57:16 pm »

Great, tried it again, only 1 restore left. Why is there no email contact available for support? I'm extremely frustrated unfortunately.
Please read this:

wayneamurphy

• Recent member
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2014, 08:31:06 am »

No.  Each OS is separate.  Sorry.

Considering it says that you can have a copy on your home computer and work computer - saying each OS is separate doesn't seem fair.
I know it isn't the majority, but quite a few will have a work Mac and a home PC (or vice-versa).

I've been a MediaCenter user for many years and still really like the product, but when I think of the hundreds of dollars I've spent I start to wonder if it is worth it. Then when you say I need to pay double to use MC - I really start to think "MC is great, but iTunes is free and runs on both operating systems..."

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2014, 10:55:04 am »

Your past support is appreciated.  The Mac port cost several hundred thousand.

Arg

• Recent member
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2014, 02:32:30 am »

More

Restoring a License

The only option I get is a full purchase.

Please explain how I can purchase for $14.98 when the downloaded MC19 app does not ask me to upgrade.

thank you

CarlM

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2014, 03:25:48 am »

Oh no it doesn’t. The only option I get is a full purchase.

I have installed hundreds of programs on numerous computers over the years, yet this program remains the most un-cooperative, complicated, unintuitive and 'multiple-retry’ program that I have EVER encountered — as far as payment and registration is concerned. And one difficulty or another happens EVERY time!

Please explain how I can purchase for $14.98 when the downloaded MC19 app does not ask me to upgrade.

thank you

Same here.

I received an e-mail this morning offering the MC19 upgrade for 14.98, but the only option I found is the full license at full price. Please advice.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2014, 07:40:59 am »

You need to have installed the MC18 license before you will see an upgrade price.

You can restore an MC18 license in MC19, then upgrade.

Arg

• Recent member
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2014, 03:41:44 pm »

Thank you. I got it to work using the above tip.

But I just want to register a small protest: the procedures are complicated in ways that no other program makes it complicated for their customers. Can you think of a single reason why my MC18 licence should not be installed? I purchased and installed MC18 last June. When I start MC18 it says I am a registered user. And it is not possible to see my registration code from within MC18; most unusual. Following the procedure for upgrading that was emailed, as written, did not work. At least, I thought I was following it.

thanks for listening.

Peter_S

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2014, 11:33:52 am »

Try restoring your license.

Jim - I have the same exact problem "I have MC18 for Mac installed and running, for several months now.  After installing MC19 and opening the Buy License page from the menu, it shows the full price of $49.98.  How can I purchase it at the upgrade price?"  How do I restore my license?  What info do I need for that?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2014, 11:39:36 am »

You need to have installed the MC18 license before you will see an upgrade price.

CarlM

« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2014, 05:24:31 am »

Thank you. I got it to work using the above tip.

But I just want to register a small protest: the procedures are complicated in ways that no other program makes it complicated for their customers. Can you think of a single reason why my MC18 licence should not be installed? I purchased and installed MC18 last June. When I start MC18 it says I am a registered user. And it is not possible to see my registration code from within MC18; most unusual. Following the procedure for upgrading that was emailed, as written, did not work. At least, I thought I was following it.

thanks for listening.

+1 I finally managed to upgrade too. :)

anilveena

• Recent member
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2014, 11:12:20 am »

Jim:

Sorry if this has already been answered - if I'm already a Mac customer, is there any discount to purchase a PC version?  I use MC 19 on a Mac for my main music playback and really love the app!  However, I also want to use it to manage my music on portable players (like he Sony NWZ-ZX1) but I can't use the Mac version.  This is why I was looking to get the PC version and was wondering if there's a discount for existing customers.

Anil

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2014, 11:13:05 am »

The Mac and PC licenses are separate.  There is no upgrade from one to the other.

anilveena

• Recent member
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2014, 11:36:03 am »

Assuming that was an answer to my question, I was not asking about an upgrade. I already have the Mac app that I use daily.  I was asking about whether there's a discount for existing users for other platforms.  Especially because the Mac app (which costs the same as the PC app) is missing a bunch of features.  The only reason I'm considering the PC version is so that I can manage music on my DAP.  Of course, even better would be if you can add the feature soon :-)

Anil

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2014, 11:37:03 am »

No.  There is no discount.

anilveena

• Recent member
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2014, 11:43:11 am »

Okay, thanks for the answer.  How about my other question - when will we have this feature in the Mac version.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2014, 11:45:58 am »

Please start a new thread on your unrelated question.  More details might help.

sjeb

• Recent member
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2014, 03:07:29 pm »

I already had version 18 and today downloaded 19. Am I going to get an email or something else promoting me to pay upgrade?  Very confusing...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2014, 05:08:32 pm »

I already had version 18 and today downloaded 19. Am I going to get an email or something else promoting me to pay upgrade?  Very confusing...
You have an MC19 license for the Mac version.  MC19 for Windows is a different license.

sjeb

• Recent member
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2014, 02:26:17 pm »

Maybe I did something wrong, but when i tried to use today after a long absence it said my trial period ended and when I used my old reg # it said I don't have a license for 19.  I bought an upgrade, but please contact me if I was not supposed to pay for it, because I did.  Thx

sjeb

• Recent member
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2014, 08:32:02 pm »

Maybe I did something wrong, but when i tried to use today after a long absence it said my trial period ended and when I used my old reg # it said I don't have a license for 19.  I bought an upgrade, but please contact me if I was not supposed to pay for it, because I did.  Thx

And by today it was showing trial period again, so I had to restore even though I bought just yesterday (after being told above don't need to buy again), and now it says I only have 9 restores left (which at this rate is not a good sign).  Why is this so hard/complicated???
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up