INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unable to control system volume w/ Media Center open  (Read 1797 times)

thunderlips222

• Recent member
Unable to control system volume w/ Media Center open
« on: September 28, 2013, 10:06:14 am »

So whenever I have Media Center open, the volume buttons on my MacbookPro keyboard only control Media Center. It's a pain because if I'm on the internet switching back and forth, I often have to close Media Center so I can regain control over the system volume.

I looked in Settings->Audio and there doesn't seem to be a difference for me between System and Internal volume. I feel like I read somewhere on the forums that this was one of the things fixed in a newer version but maybe I just have to tinker with the settings more?

Wungun

• World Citizen
Re:
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 10:25:20 am »

Sounds like a settings issue...
If you select system volume in MC, double check your speaker properties to make sure it's the default audio device...?

Airfla

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Unable to control system volume w/ Media Center open
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 11:03:15 am »

In the Windows version of MC, if you choose a hardware direct Output Mode, e.g. ASIO, WASAPI, the sound is locked during audio playback and you can't play sounds from a web browser or other programs See: Wiki, Audio Output Modes. Are there equivalent "direct" settings in the Mac version?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 03:57:12 pm »

Sorry, but I believe this is a limitation of the volume key handling on Mac.

Apple didn't make a way for programs to share nicely, or even for programs other than iTunes to handle the keys.  Luckily there's a workaround for the second part, but not the first (at least with the stock Apple programs).

We might be able to make handling of all media keys optional if enough people would find it useful.  Feedback welcome.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

rinoatomy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 01:34:45 pm »

De-select exclusive access.

thunderlips222

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 02:01:51 pm »

Thx for the explanation, seems like a problem other Apple apps run into too I guess.

Also to rinoatomy: thx for the tip, I don't have exclusive access checked. Controlling system volume on other apps is still locked while MC is open.
Pages: [1]   Go Up