INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrading from MC18 to MC19 for Mac with more than one library?  (Read 2940 times)

druism

• Recent member
Upgrading from MC18 to MC19 for Mac with more than one library?
« on: September 29, 2013, 09:45:37 am »

I found that I needed to browse for the MC18 backed up library when restoring. It worked fine but gave me a duplicate of the "Main" library in the list, so I presume I just delete the empty one. However, when it came to restoring the second library, it did not go so well. It said the library had been restored okay but then it hung and each time I try to run MC19 it hangs. I had selected and was in the "empty" second library when I went to restore the backed up second library, so there should not have been any conflict.

I only use MC for music, nothing else. I am accessing the music server using screen sharing. When I open MC19 it appears fine until I try to get it to show either of the libraries. It reports that it is loading and that I should please wait but then it hangs and the cursor turns into an eraser; wiping blocks of information out as it tracks over the window. I can only then force quit.

In the Library/Application Support/J River folder I have distinct Media Centre 18 and 19 folders but their contents differ. In MC18 (which still works fine) I have: Cache, Cover Art, Default RAW Image Cache, Library, Log.txt, Second library, Settings, Temp and Thumbnails. In MC19 I have: Default RAW Image Cache, Library, Log.txt, Previous Log.txt, Settings, Temp and Thumbnails. Although MC19 reported having restored the Second library it did not appear in the MC19 folder. I tried copying it across manually, fully aware that this would probably not work and, sure enough, it didn't. Having two, distinct, libraries is very important to me and how the music is managed so I would like to find a way of sorting this out.

JimH suggested cloning the Main library and then restoring the second library but I cannot now do anything in MC19 and I expect I will have to wipe MC19 and start again. In which case I need a plan for how to go about getting the import of libraries right. I currently have, in MC18: the Main library, a clone of the main library with a different name and the second library.

I think one solution might be if there is a way of combining the main library and the second library, cloning it twice and then modifying the clones to be the same as the two separate libraries were by deleting the tracks not supposed to be in the respective library but I can see that being a whole lot of hard work. Any ideas please?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Upgrading from MC18 to MC19 for Mac with more than one library?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 03:54:01 pm »

To make sure I understand, you have an MC18 library backup that MC19 can not restore?  What if you don't check the 'Restore settings' box when restoring?

If it still won't work, please email a copy of the library backup to logs (at) jriver [dot] com.  Include a link to this thread.

We'll test and follow-up after we get a chance to test in the debugger (in a day or two).

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

druism

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 09:09:24 am »

Hi. In broad terms restoring a backup of the main library seemed to work fine. Restoring, then, a backup of the N°2 library broke MC19 (penultimate version at today's date). It also resulted in the creation of a second library folder and a cover art folder in a Generic folder at the same level as the MC18 and MC19 folders.

To get around the problem I am starting from scratch with an import of all the music in my Main library watch folder, circa 9711 files. I plan to create a new folder and then a new N°2 library when the Main library is seen to be working, to restore things as they were. However, a major problem is the cover art which is not attached to the files. The report is that about 2700 of the files have cover art to download. Is there any way to recover the cover art from the original libraries in MC18? Gathering together that information took a very very very long time.

Cheers - Drew

druism

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 09:56:11 am »

Hello again - I managed to break MC19 again, trying to get the cover art from MC18 to work, so have wiped 19 again, made a back up of the Main library in 18, made a back up N°2 library in 18, opened a new version of 19 and applied for a restore of the main library backup. Only the one library was available, no idea where the backup for the N°2 library went. It suggested, on completion, that I restart the application. It failed to quit and then would only force quit. On restarting it seems to work though some cover art is missing. Also, if I go to recent albums, the last few months of imported albums are absent. Not really sure what to do next to get the second library working though. Drew
Pages: [1]   Go Up