INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MAC MINI system requirements  (Read 4538 times)

flyfishman

• Recent member
MAC MINI system requirements
« on: September 29, 2013, 07:31:44 pm »

Hi,

First let me apologize if this has been asked before. I really did search for this topic.

I have a Mac Mini with the 1.83 Ghz CoreDuo, 1 GB RAM and 500 GB HD running OS X 10.6.8

I can increase the memory to 2 GB.

Can I run JR Music Center on my machine?

I don't know what DAC I will get yet, but it will be replacing a very old Lynn Genki CD player.  :)
Mac Mini OS 10.6.8 1 Gb memory 500Gb drive -> Audioquest Carbon USB > Peachtree DAC IT and Musical Surroundings My DAC II -> amp.

VPI Scout II with Dynavector 20X2L -> Musical Surroundings NovaPhonomema -> Amp.

Stereomour 2A3 SET tube amp (3.5 watts) -> Lowther DX-4 drivers in Lowther Medallion cabinets with built in 12" Rythmic subs.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: MAC MINI system requirements
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 07:36:53 pm »

Welcome.

As long as you have OSX 10.6 (or newer), you should be fine.  MC is surprisingly efficient with regard to memory and CPU usage.

The only issue would be if your CPU doesn't support SSSE3, the current low-water mark for the Mac version.  I'm not sure from looking at the Wiki page.

You could download the free trial of MC19 Mac from the top of this board and give it a try to see how you fare.

Please let us know what you learn.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

flyfishman

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 09:49:57 pm »

Thank you! That is encouraging. I just bought the Mac Mini on EBay and don't have it in my hands yet. It comes with only 1 GB RAM and I know I need to add a Gig. I won't order the memory until I find out if it has 2 512 MB or a single 1 Gb board. I have 100's of CDs to rip. This is going to be fun! I still need to figure out what DAC to buy.
Mac Mini OS 10.6.8 1 Gb memory 500Gb drive -> Audioquest Carbon USB > Peachtree DAC IT and Musical Surroundings My DAC II -> amp.

VPI Scout II with Dynavector 20X2L -> Musical Surroundings NovaPhonomema -> Amp.

Stereomour 2A3 SET tube amp (3.5 watts) -> Lowther DX-4 drivers in Lowther Medallion cabinets with built in 12" Rythmic subs.

flyfishman

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 10:08:55 pm »

According to http://everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_mini/specs/mac_mini_cd_1.83-specs.html my mini (MPN A1176) is from late 2006 and according to Wikipedia the ssse3 came out in June of 2006. So, I'm hopeful.

emoon3

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 01:27:13 pm »

I have that same mini with 2GB of RAM and I can't get MC 19 to work. I got it installed and got my library imported, but any attempt to play back any format of music crashes.

The same computer has MC 18 on it and that runs pretty well.

shAf

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 06:42:23 am »

[...] This is going to be fun! I still need to figure out what DAC to buy.
What is powering your speakers?  If the Mac Mini has HDMI out and your AVR is a modern AVR with HDMI you will not need a DAC.
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

flyfishman

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 02:46:59 pm »

Sorry. I seemed to have missed your question.

My audio system consists of a 3.5 watt SET (2A3 tubes) amp driving Lowther DX-4 drivers in a Lowther Medallion cabinet. My main source is a VPI Scout II turn table with a Dynavector DV-20X2L moving coil cartridge and a Musical Surroundings NovaPhonomena phono stage. I also have a Lynn Genki CD player and a NAD FM tuner. I am hoping to replace the Genki with the Mac.

:)

Pages: [1]   Go Up