INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple PC Formatting Question.... *Newbie*  (Read 991 times)

jahriel12

• Recent member
Multiple PC Formatting Question.... *Newbie*
« on: September 30, 2013, 06:43:25 pm »

Hi guys,

Just downloaded and bought my copy of MC 19......lovin' it so far!  So much easier to organize stuff than that dreaded iTunes......like a breath of fresh air.  And I have found answers to most of my initial questions on the Forum.

However, I am wondering.....

I am currently going thru my extensive (140,000+ songs) music collection and re-tagging things to clear up some of the "Multiple Artists" problems I had.  My question is this- I am currently overseas in Afghanistan.  When I come home I plan on putting all my music on a Synology Media NAS and having it connected to my Home Theater/Music gear.  Is all of my work gonna be wasted when I get back home?  Oh, and I plan on purchasing an Asus Transformer to use as my interface between JRiver and my Home Theater- A/V Gear.  My fear is when I load my media on the NAS and re-download JRver on the Asus I will have to do all of this over again. 

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks in advance...........

~Spinning my wheels in Afghanistan?...  :-/

Jay

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Multiple PC Formatting Question.... *Newbie*
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 06:47:23 pm »

Your Library (the MC database) stores all the metadata for the files it references.  So long as you can reconnect the files with the file references that MC maintains, you should be fine.  By this, I mean, MC keeps a Filename path for each media file.  If you just move the entire media subtree somewhere, it is trivial to modify these paths so that they reference the file's new location.

Of course, you can also write out tags to files, so that any subsequent import could use the tag values (if there was no existing Library, or for some other program).

Backup the MC Library (File > Library > Back Up Library...) and later you can Restore the library.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

jahriel12

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 07:09:10 pm »

MrC,

Thank you for the response.  So am I to understand that if I download the program on a new laptop in the future I can still restore all of the paths that I am creating now?

Is that done simply by entering in my Registration Code?  Sorry for the confusion, I guess my DBM skills are meager, at best.... 

I've seen the functionality to point the MC to a new File/Folder location (which I assume I will use once I put the media on the NAS), but how will I retain all of the changes I am making in the "Album Artist" field that I am doing to redirect the "Multiple Artist" albums to more meaningful locations?  Again, my concern is how I will do this AFTER downloading JRiver on the new Asus I will use to control my media.....

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 07:23:46 pm »

When you make these "tag" changes to fields such as Album Artist, Name, Track #, etc., you're making changes to the MC Library.  This database (and some configuration settings) is what you'll Restore later.  All your data and references to the external files will be available on some other system where you've installed MC, and Restored the Library.

You have:

- The MC Library
  - Your media files (referenced by the Library)

Make both of these available on some other system in the future, and make any necessary changes to the Filename field (using the Rename, Move & Copy tool, in Update mode; for example, changing C:\Music to M:\Media\Music), and you've essentially completed the move.  There are a couple of minor settings you'll perform on the new system.

Be clear, the Library does not contain the media files, and MC won't place these media files elsewhere.  It only references the media you already have on some local or network file system.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

jahriel12

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 06:29:35 pm »

Gotcha- very helpful!!!  Thank you so much, I really appreciate it.   ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up