INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Deinterlacing/IVTC advice  (Read 4065 times)

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Deinterlacing/IVTC advice
« on: October 03, 2013, 10:02:22 am »

I don't really watch much interlaced content ordinarily, but I picked up some NTSC DVDs (29.97 framerate) with interlaced content, and I managed to find a combination of MadVR settings that make it look good in ROHQ (deinterlacing and forcing film mode). But I don't necessarily want to force film mode as my default, and I haven't been able to get MadVR to "remember" these settings for this specific material. 

I've read that MadVr's filename tagging will allow you to specify deinterlacing settings for a specific file by adding "deint=xxxx" to the filename, but I haven't been able to get it to work.  I ripped the DVD as an IFO; does MadVR's filename tagging not work for IFOs?  If it does work, which files should I modify, or is their some other trick to it?  If not, is there anything I can do on the JRiver side to force deinterlacing and film mode/ivtc without reripping to MKV, etc.?

Re: Deinterlacing/IVTC advice
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 10:06:01 am »

Your options are:

deint=On|Off|Video|Film|IVTC

I use Film as my default, and have a number of files which are tagged as [deint=video]
I rip to MKV though, I've no idea about IFO.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 10:30:26 am »

Your options are:

deint=On|Off|Video|Film|IVTC

I use Film as my default, and have a number of files which are tagged as [deint=video]
I rip to MKV though, I've no idea about IFO.

I tried "deint=on" and "deint=film" in the main IFO, and neither worked.  Are the brackets in your post part of the tagging convention? 

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 11:17:28 am »

I just use that because it looks neater.

Thinking about it, IFO files will take you to a DVD's menu, right? That means it will actually be loading different files for the actual film, so they won't be getting tagged. You probably have to rip to MKV.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 11:28:43 am »

I just use that because it looks neater.

Thinking about it, IFO files will take you to a DVD's menu, right? That means it will actually be loading different files for the actual film, so they won't be getting tagged. You probably have to rip to MKV.

I like having the menus (it's a series of television episodes), so I'll probably need to figure out another solution, unfortunately.  Thanks for clarifying about the tags though :)

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 11:48:47 am »

I like having the menus (it's a series of television episodes), so I'll probably need to figure out another solution, unfortunately.  Thanks for clarifying about the tags though :)
Watching TV shows via Media Center is actually the reason why I started ripping to MKV instead of ISO or VOB/IFO.

Ripped to MKV, I get individual episode art (not showing in this view) episode information (synopsis, duration etc.) and a record of my progress.

TV shows seem to be the one exception where I do need to tag the files with [deint=video] as I force Film mode otherwise.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 12:09:19 pm »

Watching TV shows via Media Center is actually the reason why I started ripping to MKV instead of ISO or VOB/IFO.

Ripped to MKV, I get individual episode art (not showing in this view) episode information (synopsis, duration etc.) and a record of my progress.

TV shows seem to be the one exception where I do need to tag the files with [deint=video] as I force Film mode otherwise.

In this TV show's case anything other than "force film" mode looks terrible (tons of interlacing artifacts), but I'm sure force film isn't ideal in all settings.  I don't normally rip DVDs and Blu-rays, I don't have anywhere near the kind of storage I'd need to rip them all, so I just play them off the disc. I was just having so much trouble with this series (before I figured out I needed to force film) that I ripped a disc to see if I could make it work right.

This is the first piece of content I've encountered that actually required intervention from me on the deinterlacing front, everything else has "just worked" so I was hoping to create an automated exception for this content specifically somehow.  It looks like the only way to do that is to rip it all to mkv, which I'd prefer not to do (prefer not to rip at all). 

MadVR's deinterlacing auto detection seems to work alright (I just tested it and it turned itself off on non-interlaced material), but its video/film deinterlacing mode auto-detection doesn't seem to work as well (or at all).  I haven't found a situation where the auto-detect detects film, it only seems to detect video even when film is clearly the "right" answer.  Is that feature fully implemented or am I missing something?

Alternatively, what does "video deinterlaced" content look like when deinterlaced with the "force film" option?  Does it introduce artifacts, blur, or what?  I tried using force film on a few different interlaced files, but for several of them I can't tell the difference between force film and force video.  I guess I'm just trying to get a sense of what happens in a worst case scenario if I change my defaults to force film. 

Thanks again for your help!

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 12:14:28 pm »

MadVR's deinterlacing auto detection seems to work alright (I just tested it and it turned itself off on non-interlaced material), but its video/film deinterlacing mode auto-detection doesn't seem to work as well (or at all).  I haven't found a situation where the auto-detect detects film, it only seems to detect video even when film is clearly the "right" answer.  Is that feature fully implemented or am I missing something?
There is no video/film mode detection in madVR right now, which is the the film mode override exists.

Alternatively, what does "video deinterlaced" content look like when deinterlaced with the "force film" option?  Does it introduce artifacts, blur, or what?  I tried using force film on a few different interlaced files, but for several of them I can't tell the difference between force film and force video.  I guess I'm just trying to get a sense of what happens in a worst case scenario if I change my defaults to force film. 
More often than not, it ends up dropping a lot of frames and is basically unwatchable.

I don't know if it would work for you, but you could set up keyboard shortcuts to force film or video type deinterlacing in the madVR config, if you're just going to be playing off a disc and only rarely need to change it.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 12:22:00 pm »

There is no video/film mode detection in madVR right now, which is the the film mode override exists.

The way the options in the MadVR settings above the force film radio button are worded ("disable automatic source type detection") and the wording of the "ctrl-shift-alt T" options (film/video/auto) made it sound as though it has an auto-detect feature.  It sounds like something planned for the future maybe.

More often than not, it ends up dropping a lot of frames and is basically unwatchable.

So I'd notice in a hurry is what you're saying  :)

I don't know if it would work for you, but you could set up keyboard shortcuts to force film or video type deinterlacing in the madVR config, if you're just going to be playing off a disc and only rarely need to change it.

That's kind of what I've been doing to troubleshoot (ctrl-alt-shift t), that method just has an extremely low WAF  ;D .  But since this is content that no one but me is likely to be interested in, that may be the ultimate solution.

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 12:27:13 pm »

There are discrete commands available, rather than using the toggle, and the shortcuts can be set up to individual keys.

For example, you could use:
    Z = Video
    X = Film

The way the options in the MadVR settings above the force film radio button are worded ("disable automatic source type detection") and the wording of the "ctrl-shift-alt T" options (film/video/auto) made it sound as though it has an auto-detect feature.  It sounds like something planned for the future maybe.
Well it will automatically detect whether deinterlacing is required, but it only goes into video mode just now. If you want film mode, you have to manually enable it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up