INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Beach ball problem - library or auto-import  (Read 2704 times)

goatofmanycolors

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Beach ball problem - library or auto-import
« on: October 03, 2013, 11:13:50 am »

I just installed this version and am having some problems, primarily with spinning rainbow wheel hangs, where the interface becomes unresponsive and I have to force quit.  This usually occurs after I start the program and when I click on Audio, and begin to scroll throw available albums or artists.

Initially, I had trouble importing my rather large library because of numerous crashes, but virtually all of these were related to excessively long filenames, etc. and by examining the log, I could get things back on track.  It would probably be a good idea to try to improve the handling of long or weird filenames and issue warnings.

Post import, all my audio seems to be in place.  However, I'm getting frequent hangs where the log file simply indicates normal initial startup activity, such as import / broken link checks, etc. and then no further activity, with the interface completely hung. Only a force quit helps at this point.

If there's information I can provide to you to help debug, please let me know.  I'm very anxious for MC 19 for Mac to stabilize so I can use it in lieu of the Windows version running under VMWare Fusion.

Thanks,

--Golden

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Beach ball problem - library or auto-import
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 02:31:24 pm »

I just installed this version and am having some problems, primarily with spinning rainbow wheel hangs, where the interface becomes unresponsive and I have to force quit.  This usually occurs after I start the program and when I click on Audio, and begin to scroll throw available albums or artists.
Thanks for sending the library.  It's working fine for me here, so I'm wondering if it's a Media Center background process that is causing the beach-balls.  One of the heavy duty tasks that runs is auto-import so could you disable that for a period of time and see if the stability improves without it?  That would point us in a direction to look further.

Also, could you send me a log file following a beach ball event?
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

goatofmanycolors

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 04:46:45 pm »

Thanks for checking.  Strangely enough, the problem occurred consistently until you asked for the backup of the library, then mysteriously disappeared.  Is any library cleanup done in preparation for writing the backup?

goatofmanycolors

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 07:07:15 pm »

OK, the hanging problem is back.  In the library I sent you, note that there are a large number of files under "Unassigned" (these were tagged properly under the Windows version of J River--not
sure what's going on).  When I try to fix the tags using fill from filename w/ an appropriate pattern to at least straighten out the album and artist, the spinning ball appears.  I just emailed you the log file.

Thanks,

--Golden

gtimbers

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 05:50:38 pm »

Thank you MrC.  I needed to enabled the Media server from within MC19.  Works fine now.

jlyness

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 08:27:34 pm »

Hanging beachball for me too, when I imported my prior library working fine under MC 18. When I first imported, the library opened fine, but on re-launch of the application, the app is completely unresponsive until I force quit. Huge problem!

JohnT

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 03:08:44 pm »

I've finally been able to reproduce a hang (beach-ball) problem here when restoring an MC18 library into MC19.  I'll post a fix as soon as possible.

Chauncey

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 07:07:04 pm »

Initially, I had trouble importing my rather large library because of numerous crashes, but virtually all of these were related to excessively long filenames, etc. and by examining the log, I could get things back on track.  It would probably be a good idea to try to improve the handling of long or weird filenames and issue warnings.

Post import, all my audio seems to be in place.  However, I'm getting frequent hangs where the log file simply indicates normal initial startup activity, such as import / broken link checks, etc. and then no further activity, with the interface completely hung. Only a force quit helps at this point.

If there's information I can provide to you to help debug, please let me know.  I'm very anxious for MC 19 for Mac to stabilize so I can use it in lieu of the Windows version running under VMWare Fusion.

Thanks,

--Golden

Same problem here.  But I had already imported and the problem didn't start until this latest build.

JohnT

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 07:50:12 am »

The latest build (53) should fix this problem, please try it and let us know.

Also, let us know which OSX version you're running, as there is apparently still an issue on Snow Leopard, 10.6.8.
Pages: [1]   Go Up